The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

K-5 - show me reds in daylight...

raist3d

I am still seeing reds go magenta in good daylight. Shoot a stop sign, a parking warning sign, a red car. Something that shines a little back. In daylight, not overcast. Not in the shadow, not at night or indoors. In sunlight.

This issue is showing up for me in JPEG and DNG and I sort of got a work around but I don't want to deal with this. Seen now in two K-5 bodies so I don't think it's a single body defect (and the 2nd body had firmware 1.01 already installed and no stains).

I want Pentax to fix this.

- Raist

jonoslack

I am still seeing reds go magenta in good daylight. Shoot a stop sign, a parking warning sign, a red car. Something that shines a little back. In daylight, not overcast. Not in the shadow, not at night or indoors. In sunlight.

This issue is showing up for me in JPEG and DNG and I sort of got a work around but I don't want to deal with this. Seen now in two K-5 bodies so I don't think it's a single body defect (and the 2nd body had firmware 1.01 already installed and no stains).

I want Pentax to fix this.

- Raist
when we get some sunshine I'll see if I can find it . . . . . . . be back to you sometime next year:(

raist3d

Please ignore for now! Maybe it's fixed! (read)

I got it from DNG but *not* when I developed the RAW in-camera. So clearly a DNG specific raw converter problem (OS/X).

With my first stained K-5 body this happened in JPEG too. Maybe it's a placebo thing but I am noticing better reds with the 2nd body. Moreover, the 2nd body in-jpeg conversions were red (using different files though). Will check with the sign of BJ's again today.

Thanks for reading, for now consider this a NON issue. I will investigate a bit more.

--
Raist3d (Photographer & Tools/Systems/Gui Games Developer)
Andreas Feininger (1906-1999) 'Photographers — idiots, of which there are
so many — say, “Oh, if only I had a Nikon or a Leica, I could make great
photographs.” That’s the dumbest thing I ever heard in my life. It’s
nothing but a matter of seeing, and thinking, and interest. That’s what
makes a good photograph.'

P

photogerald

Re: Please ignore for now! Maybe it's fixed! (read)

I got it from DNG but *not* when I developed the RAW in-camera. So clearly a DNG specific raw converter problem (OS/X).
I wonder if your RAW converter is properly using the camera profile embedded in the DNG.

raist3d

I wonder if your RAW converter is properly using the camera profile embedded in the DNG.
No, probably not, as Apple doesn't list official k-5 support yet (but since they support a wide variety of Pentaxes, this is coming probably soon).

- Raist

jonoslack

No, probably not, as Apple doesn't list official k-5 support yet (but since they support a wide variety of Pentaxes, this is coming probably soon).

- Raist
I always find it better to drop the boost to 50% for 'non profiled' .dng files in Aperture - but otherwise I'm still pleased with what I'm getting from the Pentax. The sun even came out briefly a while ago, but there are no red cars in sight!

raist3d

Yeah, red is the problem :) But thanks for the boost tip. I have played with that before on other cameras and didn't think of that on this one.

- Raist