The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the 645D

tsjanik

Your leaf image is interesting. The gray backgroung reminds me of leaves hanging onto a tree in the dead of winter as opposed to springtime. The colors are soft, which is what I like in this image....almost makes the image feel delicate.

Dave (D&A)
Thanks Dave, you always have nice comments even when the image is so-so. I was trying to get a Japanese feel in this image; not quite there yet.

tom,
thanks, the pentax is a enigma. people who can afford 10k on this forum, usually go for the more expe sive phase mamiya system or alpa, arca swiss, leica s2, hasselblad h4 etc
steven
Steven:

Not too surprising really. As happy as I am with the 645D, I think if I were a pro I'd be very hesitant to go with Pentax. They do not have the support structure that others do, only two lenses available in the US and Hoya's commitment to DSLRs is questionable. Buying this camera is a bit of a gamble. So far it has paid off for me and given the success of the 645D and the K5, Hoya may be convinced that cameras aren't a corporate money pit.

People may poo-poo certain features, but given the choice of something like weather proofing who wouldn't take it? Take your $10K Pentax out in the snow storm, or your $40K Hassey/Phase One and a garbage bag ... :ROTFL:
Congratulations! Best of luck, and good shooting to all Pentax 645D users ... you may turn out to be the smartest bunch in the MFD crowd :)

-Marc
Thanks Marc and good point. The weather proofing is a significant feature for me. I regard it the same way as a car's air bag: If I'm lucky, I'll never need it. I seem to spend a lot of time in bad weather and most of my photographic travels involve staying in tents. As a non-wealthy hobbyist, there is no way I would be comfortable depending on garbage bag to protect a MFDB. :LOL:

Tom

D&A

Thanks Dave, you always have nice comments even when the image is so-so. I was trying to get a Japanese feel in this image; not quite there yet.
Hi Tom,

My comments regarding an image truly reflect what I feel and the image of your leaves reminded me of a favorite oriental image I purchased a number of years ago that was very similar to yours except it had these very small round red berries on the same vines as the leaves. The similarities and "feel" between the two images was uncanny.

Dave

gurtch

First trials 645D & Grad ND filter:
45~85 FA lens at 45mm, f13, two stop grad ND filter to try holding detail in bright sky.
Thanks for looking
Dave G in NJ

Last edited:

kuau

Workshop Member
Steven:

Not too surprising really. As happy as I am with the 645D, I think if I were a pro I'd be very hesitant to go with Pentax. They do not have the support structure that others do, only two lenses available in the US and Hoya's commitment to DSLRs is questionable. Buying this camera is a bit of a gamble. So far it has paid off for me and given the success of the 645D and the K5, Hoya may be convinced that cameras aren't a corporate money pit.
Tom,
I am in total agreement with you. As Dave D&A has mentioned and we have had lengthy discussions on the topic of lenses for the 645D, it for sure is a gamble, and thank god i am not a pro, and I live at F11-F13 I just like going out shooting, making prints and hanging them on the wall. And for what I like to shoot, the 645D has performed quite well, sure I wish it had the "Leica" look it doesn't and it probably never will, I love my M9, yet as my vision unfortunately gets worse, I wonder how long I will keep my M9, as much as I love it, I have always been a fan of the 4:3 format over 3:2, especially vertical shoots which I seem to do a lot of, when I shoot my M9 vertical, I end up always cropping to 5:4 format, and my biggest print is then 16x20 which I fine, and hopefully this spring, I will go out on some longer hikes where I will leave my 645D home because of weight, and tripod, and take my M9 and small gitzo tripod which weights almost nothing.
Though on the other side of the coin I will keep with me the 645D hopefully at all times for any good road kill landscapes on the way to the trails.
Not much to shoot right now in Park City, kind of grey and muddy.

Steven

gurtch

Nice one Dave :thumbup:

The 45-85mm at F13 works well.
Steven
Thanks Steven. I, like you, do this for kicks, not for a living. I sent you several files from the 35mm A lens. What did you think? Not as sharp as my 45~85 (I have a really good one), but perfectly useable for my needs. Has anyone seen any reviews/experiences with the 25mm?
Best
Dave

kuau

Workshop Member
Dave your welcome.
Not heard any news yet on the 25mm, though I am happy with my 35mm A lens, just as happy as I was with my now sold FA 35, which I felt for what I was doing was no better and almost twice the cost.
Steven

D&A

First trials 645D & Grad ND filter:
45~85 FA lens at 45mm, f13, two stop grad ND filter to try holding detail in bright sky.
Thanks for looking
Dave G in NJ
Dave, nice colorful shot! The ND filter seems to have worked very well. I too am very impressed with the FA 45mm-85mm lens, especially the more I use it in a variety of shooting situations. Looking forward to seeing more of your images.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

D&A

Tom,
I am in total agreement with you. As Dave D&A has mentioned and we have had lengthy discussions on the topic of lenses for the 645D, it for sure is a gamble, and thank god i am not a pro, and I live at F11-F13 I just like going out shooting, making prints and hanging them on the wall. And for what I like to shoot, the 645D has performed quite well, sure I wish it had the "Leica" look it doesn't and it probably never will, I love my M9, yet as my vision unfortunately gets worse, I wonder how long I will keep my M9, as much as I love it, I have always been a fan of the 4:3 format over 3:2, especially vertical shoots which I seem to do a lot of, when I shoot my M9 vertical, I end up always cropping to 5:4 format, and my biggest print is then 16x20 which I fine, and hopefully this spring, I will go out on some longer hikes where I will leave my 645D home because of weight, and tripod, and take my M9 and small gitzo tripod which weights almost nothing.
Though on the other side of the coin I will keep with me the 645D hopefully at all times for any good road kill landscapes on the way to the trails.
Not much to shoot right now in Park City, kind of grey and muddy.

Steven
***(Revised!)***

Hi Steven & All,

One of the reasons I tested so many samples of most of the FA lenses, was not only to get a better idea as to the performance characteristics of all the samples I was able to find/purchase, but also eventually select those that could be used at wider apertures. Unlike Steven and many others who primarily concentrate on landscapes and thus generally find that they require stopping down lenses to their sweet spot of f11-f13, I often have a need to shot at close to wide open and therefore had to identify those lenses that had adaquate performance at these wider apertures. Not all focal lengths of lens samples I tested qualified. I found many of the samples of the various focal length Pentax FA lenses tested ,were very good at f11-13, but fell short in performance when used at one stop down from their max. aperture. Eventually though I was able to find and identify both the focal length lenses and particular samples of these lenses that had more than sufficient performance when used close to wide open. So depending on an individual's planned use of the Pentax 645D and its lenses, may determine how much work will be required for finding suitable lenses for their own personal need.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Well Dave and Dave , I guess it's we three who are keeping this thread alive.
First attempt at focus stacking with only three exposures. 120mm macro at 5.6. Interesting technique, I could never have gotten this DOF without stopping down and bringing the ugly backgtound into focus; I should have chosen a subject not moving in the wind for my first trials, but I love these beech leaves.

Tom
Tom,

This is one of the best photos I've seen from the 645D for conveying a feeling for the light. :thumbs:

Matt

woodyspedden

Tom

I don't own a 645d (I bought a S2 long before the 645D was available) but I am really impressed with the images you guys are pulling from it. Your shot of Lake Erie is simply stunning.

I do own a K-5 and the 200mm SDM lens and I must say that Pentax really knows how to design and build that focal length! It may be the best of all the lenses I have for the K-5.

Keep posting.........I always feel better after seeing your shots

Woody

tsjanik

Matt and Woody:

Sincere thanks for your comments, they are much appreciated. Since you've encouraged me, here's one from last night. The weather along the lake is often poor, by that I mean cloudy, windy and rain/snow as systems move from the west. The upside is we often get spectacular sunsets as the sun sets below the cloud level of a departing front. I saw some martins in the sky with a new moon just at sunset. Wish I had a mountain to put in the picture. Handheld with the 45-85mm zoom.
Woody, have you been posting S2 images? I'd love to see them.

Best,

Tom

woodyspedden

Tom

I posted some a while back but had back surgery three weeks ago and have been recuperating since. So what little I have been shooting has been done with my lightweight K-5

Best

Woody

D&A

Tom

I don't own a 645d (I bought a S2 long before the 645D was available) but I am really impressed with the images you guys are pulling from it. Your shot of Lake Erie is simply stunning.

I do own a K-5 and the 200mm SDM lens and I must say that Pentax really knows how to design and build that focal length! It may be the best of all the lenses I have for the K-5.

Keep posting.........I always feel better after seeing your shots

Woody
Hi Woody,

In 35mm, Pentax since the mid 70's has been quite strong in fast 200mm focal length lenses and exceptional in the 300mm focal length. It's been their forte'. Macro lenses (both 50mm and approx 100mm) is the other area they've always excelled. Much of this performance has translated well to their MF lenses.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

D&A

Matt and Woody:

Sincere thanks for your comments, they are much appreciated. Since you've encouraged me, here's one from last night. The weather along the lake is often poor, by that I mean cloudy, windy and rain/snow as systems move from the west. The upside is we often get spectacular sunsets as the sun sets below the cloud level of a departing front. I saw some martins in the sky with a new moon just at sunset. Wish I had a mountain to put in the picture. Handheld with the 45-85mm zoom.
Woody, have you been posting S2 images? I'd love to see them.

Best,

Tom
Tom, moody end of day sky shots are some of favorites. I actually look for good ones most every day when possible. The deep blue patterned sky and sunlight shining through works well. Nice image!

Dave (D&A)

tsjanik

Tom

I posted some a while back but had back surgery three weeks ago and have been recuperating since. So what little I have been shooting has been done with my lightweight K-5

Best

Woody
Hi Woody:
I wish you a speedy recovery.
How do the K-5 files with those from the S2? Sounds like a silly question, but I ask since I'm tempted by the K-5, but wonder if I would ever choose it over the 645D.

Tom

woodyspedden

Tom

In terms of IQ there is no comparison between the K-5 and the S2 (and I suspect the 645).

I bought the K5 and associated lenses primarily for travel to non-exotic places where I wanted a camera but not the heavy kit of the S2 and not where I have $50K at risk. For special or exotic locales, the S2 goes with me no matter what.

K5 sharpness is still an issue for me so it is either technique or my K-5 body is not working properly. I will keep working to determine which is the case

That said, I really like the K5.........solid as a rock, exactly the right size, no EVF (which I hate) and a plethora of great lenses to work with, expecially the FA primes.

Woody

gurtch

Here's another one shot same day and place as post #103. 645D 45~85 @ 45mm, 1/160 sec, monopod, f13 - 2 stop ND grad filter. Thanks for looking
Dave G in NJ

Last edited:

D&A

Dave,

I like all the various elements going on in this image and the sky stands out by using your ND filter. The one thing though that caught my eye is in the area of the corner on the "lower left". I realize there are alternating areas of sun splashed wet pavement with shadow areas cast by the wood piers standing up...yet in the lower left corner, that jagged bluish edge looks like some sort of digital artifact. Any idea what caused it or am I not seeing this correctly?

Dave (D&A)