The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the 645D

Shashin

Helicon Focus is also a good stacking/stitching program. All stitching programs can introduce artifacts--that is just the nature of the process.

tsjanik

Hi Tom,

Interesting composition. Textures, colors and detail are lovely! I don't have the near the experience in focus stacking as you do but have run into the situation in PS as you described. Have you found any drawbacks to Zerene Stacker Pro? Thanks!

Dave (D&A)
I've only tried stacking a few times and only with PS. Zerene was recommended but I have not tried it. I had been mostly a film user until the 645D, so I don't have much exxperience with some digital techniques.

D&A

Thanks Tom. I'm trying to determine which of the stacking software has the best combination of ease of use and versitility, without some of the glitches I ran into with PS.

Dave (D&A)

aboudd

Seriously thinking about the 645D

Hi Gang,

I am thinking of selling my D3x to move up to the larger sensor and no AA of the 645D. I have read various things about the non-digital designed lenses concerning loss of sharpness and their inability to resolve the sensor. As a shooter for over 45 years I rarely pay attention to the technical minutia. I don't know an MTF chart from an eye chart, but I want good color rendering and sharpness at most settings. As a start, which of these lenses do you prefer for the 645D: 45-85 AF, 75, 120 or 120 AF macro. Does anyone have any experience with the new 55 2.8 that was supposedly designed for this sensor? I will shoot primarily architecture and street scapes with the camera. Also, is there a viable T/S lens made for this camera. My past experience with Hartblei on a Contax 645 with a P25 back was poor.

Thanks for the help!

Aboud

[email protected]
www.adweckphoto.com

Shashin

Aboud:

I have the following lenses:

Pentax 645 DFA 55mm (the new lens)
Pentax 645 A 35mm manual focus lens
Pentax 67 105mm lens (late version)

I am happy with all of them. As with all lenses, stopping down helps, but I am happy shooting wide open as well. The 120 macro, whether MF or AF, is highly regarded. The 45mm Pentax lens has a bad reputation. I tend to choose lenses for their angle of view--a lens may be great, but if it is a focal length I do not use, it is rather a moot point.

The only shift lens I know of is the 75mm Pentax 67 lens, which would need a 645 to 67 adapter. I have no idea how well it works on the 645D. However, I like my 105mm 67 lens on the 645D and others have had good success with other 67 lenses. I picked up the 105mm for its speed and size, but the 120mm macro is better.

I would avoid pixel peeping. 100% is not a valid viewing condition, no matter how large you print. Although it is a lot of fun to peep.

rjones

Aboud,

The following lenses are very nice:

P645:
35 A or FA
75 FA
120 A or FA
150 FA
200 FA
300/5.6 or /4 FA
400 FA
45-85 zoom is good

P67 (needs adapter; pentax version has auto-diaphragm):
55/4 latest version
100/4 macro
200 latest version (less exp than 200 FA, but larger)
above 3 take 77mm filters.
(300 latest is nice, but expensive and large, so stick with 645 FA version)

the latest 55 FA has had more poor reviews than not. The 67 55mm is better, but manual focus (and larger).

kuau

Workshop Member
+1
Aboud,

P645:
35 A or FA
75 FA
120 A or FA
150 FA
200 FA
300/5.6 or /4 FA
400 FA
45-85 zoom is good

55/4 latest version
100/4 macro

the latest 55 FA has had more poor reviews than not. The 67 55mm is better, but manual focus (and larger).

tsjanik

Aboud,

P645:
35 A or FA
75 FA
120 A or FA
150 FA
200 FA
300/5.6 or /4 FA
400 FA
45-85 zoom is good

55/4 latest version
100/4 macro

+2

Add the 67 55-100mm zoom and the 67 400mm ED, but both are very heavy and the 645 45-85 and 400 ED are much lighter and very good as well.

Shashin

If you would like to see the difference between the new 55mm and the 120mm macro, go here (keep scrolling down the test charts are way to the bottom:

http://www.denjuku.gr.jp/review/201006/95.php

Chris Willson has done a lot of work with the 55mm as well as the 67 105mm. Here is his site:

http://travel67.wordpress.com/

He also has some full resolution images from the 55mm and 67 105mm lenses on his Flicker site.

Ganref has lots of samples from different lenses on the 645D. They can take some time to load:

http://ganref.jp/magazines/index/1/0/368

http://ganref.jp/magazines/index/1/0/369

You can find more sample images of the new 55mm here--load times can be long and you need to scroll down:

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/newproduct/20100604_371978.html

And Pentax Japan has full-res samples as well.

D&A

+2

Add the 67 55-100mm zoom and the 67 400mm ED, but both are very heavy and the 645 45-85 and 400 ED are much lighter and very good as well.
I too agree with this list of good performing lenses on the 645D but keep in mind in some cases, there is great sample to sample variability, which often affects performance at the wider apertures. I've been delayed a number of times, but hope to post my in-depth testing of multiple samples of each of these Pentax 645 FA Af lenses as well as some others in the near future.

*** (Recent Addition)..... In regards to the latest Pentax FA 55mm f2.8 WR 645 lens..there are some nice pluses but also minuses I found after testing a number of samples of this lens. Center sharpess is excellent, equaling and even surpassing surpassing most any other Pentax 645 lenses near this range. Edge corner resolution drops off, especially at the wider apertures, which is more pronouced as camera to subject distances become greater. So it can be a good lens, depending what one plans to use it for and with it's WR, along with the WR of the body, can often make a worrry free pair in inclement weather. Still for some types of landscape work, there are other lenses that have more even sharpness across the frame. I found sample to sample performance was consistant.

DAve

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

gurtch

I have 11 lenses. Maybe I just found a good one, but my 45~85 FA, at f13, 45mm setting, is magnificent for the seascapes I do. I recently made two different 24"x32" prints, matted and framed them. I am VERY happy with this lens. My copy of the 35 A is very good also (subjectively not quite as sharp as the 45~85). Digilloyd (paid site) has an excellent objective review/tests of a whole bunch of lenses. As stated above, he finds the 45mm one of the poorer performers. He raves about the A macro (so do I).Dave in NJ

Charles Wood

I spent this early morning at Snow Canyon State Park, Utah, near my home, with my new 645D. Here is a three frame vertical stitch, 35mm @F19, ISO 100. Some minor tweaks but pretty much how the raw file opened up. I'm not sure what size really works best for uploading but here it is.

aboudd

Well gang, I did it. I bought Steven's 645D and a couple of his lenses and acquired a 45-85 as well. I did sell the D3x, with some hesitation, but something had to give. I would like to get my hands on a pristine 150 3.5 so it there is one out there, drop me a note at [email protected].

I'm also interested in hearing if anyone has any experience with the Zoerk shift adapter to put 67 lenses on the 645. I was thinking I might sell off my 24 and 45 PC-E if this was a viable solution for architecture. I hear the 67 45MM & 55MM are great for this application. I am just wondering how cumbersome it might be.

D&A

As one door closes, another opens. Welcome to the club.
Yes, welcome to the club Aboud! Regarding the 150mm f3.5, are you primarily looking at manual focus lenses for the 645D or FA Af ones? Some of the manual focus lenses had the same optical formula as their Af counterparts, some were redesigns The majority of my testing of multiple samples of the same lens (and variosu lesnes for this system) were with the FA af ones. The 150 f3.5 MF lenses is different than the 150mm f2.8 AF. As for the P 67 lenses, early and late versions of the same lenses are available and in some cases, although the optical design seems similar, performance is not. This is especially true in the case of the P67 55mm lens!

(Addition)...The 45-85mm lenses is a excellent one. Strongest and sharp between 45mm to approx 65mm..then from 65mm to 85mm, most samples tend to loose a bit of resolution...especially on the edeges/corners.

Sounds like there is going to be some interesting times ahead with the camera Aboud...and I too was reluctant to having had to give up some of my other systems and lenses to acquire it...but no regrets so far. Enjoy!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

tsjanik

I spent this early morning at Snow Canyon State Park, Utah, near my home, with my new 645D. Here is a three frame vertical stitch, 35mm @F19, ISO 100. Some minor tweaks but pretty much how the raw file opened up. I'm not sure what size really works best for uploading but here it is.
Good one Charles. Looks like a nice place to be.

L

LaurenceNorton

Moved up to the 645D from D3x about 2 months ago. First time with medium format (albiet crop) and with Pentax, and very happy so far.

200 FA - Skagit Valley Tulips in Washington

35 A - Trondheim Norway

35 A - North Norway

35 A - Taken from a ship in North Norway (finally got some sunshine)

35 A - Iceland iceberg on black sand beach

35 A - Iceland reflection along ring road