The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the 645D

Shashin

A snow day in the Northeast today. Let me know if you want to come over and help me shovel the driveway.

tsjanik

I like it – very minimalist. At least you have snow; I’m calling this the winter of 37 – Fahrenheit.

Shashin

I like it – very minimalist. At least you have snow; I’m calling this the winter of 37 – Fahrenheit.
Tom, thanks. If you come over now, you can have all the snow in my driveway.

But no kidding about this winter. This storm should have come months ago. I finally have a reason for pulling out my snow shoes. We only had two other "large" storms, one in October and one in November. Not exactly the time of years that lets snow stick around.

D&A

Tom, thanks. If you come over now, you can have all the snow in my driveway.

But no kidding about this winter. This storm should have come months ago. I finally have a reason for pulling out my snow shoes. We only had two other "large" storms, one in October and one in November. Not exactly the time of years that lets snow stick around.

Nothing unusal about snow in New England this time of year. When I lived in Boston, we'd sometimes get a late Arpil snowstorm, even a fairly big one in May, which I'll never forget. Heck, it's only the beginning of March :)

With that said, further south (near Washington D.C.), it was a balmy 71 degrees today....I looked for snow but couldn't find any (couldn't resist :)).

Yes, very minimalist image, I quite like it!

Dave (D&A)

tsjanik

Looking through some shots from the fall, I found this: a few grapes left behind after harvest. Taken with the 200mm FA @f/4 (heavy crop); I think this lens is underappreciated - sharp even wide open, good color and bokeh.

Tom

1_IGP6121 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

D&A

Looking through some shots from the fall, I found this: a few grapes left behind after harvest. Taken with the 200mm FA @f/4 (heavy crop); I think this lens is underappreciated - sharp even wide open, good color and bokeh.

Tom
Tom, agree, the FA 200 f4 is sometimes a bit maligned in regards to its performence compared to say either the FA 150 f2.8 or FA 300 f4 ...but I may have found one reason for such comments. Out of most all FA 645 lenses I tested, getting a good FA 200 f4 that performed exceptionally well on the 645D at the wider apertures, was most difficult and took testing of many samples to find a single one. If you found one on the first go around, then you really lucked out. Some I tried didn't sharpen up very well until at least f8, if that. The warmth, kind of light and the image itself (that you posted) reminds me of the last vestiges of summer/fall.

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Tom, not cliche at all. I just logged on and caught a look and the image really hit me as one that works for a variety of reasons. The depth of field in this one has a good 3-D rendering. The horizontal wingspans contrast nicely with the vertical masts behind the houses. (not sure if they are masts or something else?). The warmth works very well too. The only thing that I would adjust is the tilt to the left of the image...as its quite prominant and distracts a bit. It would make a good poster for the movie "The Birds" :)

Dave (D&A)

tsjanik

Thanks Bart.

Dave, you're right about the tilt of course. It's interesting that many times I don't detect that on screen. My father often told me I didn't have my head on straight, maybe he was right.:ROTFL:

Masts they are. Some gulls still hang out at the harbor rather than joining their friends at fast food restaurant parking lots.

D&A

Tom, it's a shot I would personally "print". It's inviting warmth, the 3-D of the birds and how they stand out is exceptional and just the overall feel of the image, works extremely well.

Of course you can ask viewers to tilt their head when viewing and then you don't have to correct for it...LOL!

The smart birds hang out at the harbor, knowing the catch for the day is fresh :)

The FA 400 645 lens always is very gratifying. Sometimes it doesn't have quite the level of microcontrast that the FA 300 645 lens does, but it's a very consistant performer and never lets me down.

Dave (D&A)

D&A

One thing that your photograph illustrates is how important the sky becomes in many images. It truly can change the dynamics of a scene, becomeing an element thats as important as the rest of the subject matter. I reminded of two of my favorite subjects (scenes) to shoot through the seasons, and often its not whether it's winter and snow, or spring and nearby wildflowers, but the dramtics of the seasonal sky that has me quickly find a place to stop and set up to capture the scene.

Unfortunately where I am georgraphically, it's usually just a simple confluent dark sky due to an impending storm or very big white fluffly clouds that dot the sky indicating the cheerfulness of springtime. In the Northeast I often remember skies as those in your image, which adds to the drama. The relatively small figures on the sandy beach contrasts nicely with sky, reminding of us the gentleness and wonderment experienced by small children and the other a the passing of what appears to have possibly been turbulent weather (although I realize that might have not been the case). Nicely done Dave!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

gurtch

Thank you Dave. You guessed it, the previous night it poured rain with high winds here on the barrier island. Often, next morning we get nature's surprise.
Thanks for the kind words, as always....
Dave

gurtch

A brand new one shot April 2, -- 645D 35mmA lens, f13, Polarizer, tripod, mirror lock up. Thanks for looking
Dave in NJ

Last edited:

TimWright

Picked up a 300 FA today so wanted to try it out. Found this Osprey with a fish. Cropped of course.

Last edited: