The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

K5...some info requested please..

rayyan

-Nikon F-mount to K-mount ( K5 ) adapters. Are they available? Any experience?
What does one loose in functionality? AF loss is a given ( or is it ? ). In-body stabilization..does it work as normal? ( on paper it should. No? )

- Zeiss K-mount lenses.
Any experience?

I am very interested in the IS funtion in both these cases.

Your advice, suggestions, experience would be gratefully received.

Kindest regards.

p.s what and how many M lenses/bodies shall get me into K5 and a couple of 35mm-135mm primes?
Nikon stays.

-Nikon F-mount to K-mount ( K5 ) adapters. Are they available? Any experience?
What does one loose in functionality? AF loss is a given ( or is it ? ). In-body stabilization..does it work as normal? ( on paper it should. No? )

- Zeiss K-mount lenses.
Any experience?

Your advice, suggestions, experience would be gratefully received.

Kindest regards.

p.s what and how many M lenses/bodies shall get me into K5 and a couple of 35mm-135mm primes?
Nikon stays.
Due to the very small diffence in range (46.5mm vs 45.46mm) a conventional mechanical adapter ring will not work or will not allow infinity focus.
There are adapters equipped with lens to overcome this problem (Fotodiox and Lolli for instance) but I suspect that the final optical quality will not be as desired.
A possible solution could be via a replacement bayonet (same as those by Leitax) but I do not know if anybody is offering it for the Nikon F to Pentax K conbination.

rayyan

Ario, thank you for taking the time and providing me with the information.

I appreciate it highly.

Best regards.

wyip

From what I've read, the Zeiss K-mount lenses should be fully functional with program, aperture priority, and shutter priority modes. Stabilization should work, especially since electronics are there for the lens to communicate with the body.

I used to have a ZS 35mm f/2.0 which is optically the same as the K-mount 35mm f/2.0, and it is a fantastic lens. Build quality on these are solid. I used an M42 to Sony Alpha adapter with a chip grafted onto it to allow for proper EXIF data recording, IBIS functionality, and focus confirmation.

If I were to switch to Pentax, I would definitely invest in some ZK lenses. I would also get a split prism focusing screen (KatzEye makes one for the K-5), because I had a little difficulty manual focusing without it.

Here is a picture I took with my son using the Zeiss 35mm on a Sony a900:

jonoslack

- Zeiss K-mount lenses.
Any experience?
yes - excellent quality . . . .but manual focusing at wide aperture is not so easy

Nikon stays.
Why would you do that?
The K5 is lovely - the limited primes are fine, the size is wonderful . . . . but if you have an M9 and some leica primes, then it's hard to think of a sensible reason for changing it to anything else.

You have the Nikon for AF

You have the Leica for ultimate quality with prime lenses

The Pentax is for?

If you suggested changing it for your Nikon, then that would definitely be worth more discussion!

all the best

rayyan

From what I've read, the Zeiss K-mount lenses should be fully functional with program, aperture priority, and shutter priority modes. Stabilization should work, especially since electronics are there for the lens to communicate with the body.

If I were to switch to Pentax, I would definitely invest in some ZK lenses. I would also get a split prism focusing screen (KatzEye makes one for the K-5), because I had a little difficulty manual focusing without it.

Here is a picture I took with my son using the Zeiss 35mm on a Sony a900:
wyip, thank you for that information.

You are indeed a lucky father!

Bsat regards.

rayyan

yes - excellent quality . . . .but manual focusing at wide aperture is not so easy

Something to factor in.

Why would you do that?
The K5 is lovely - the limited primes are fine, the size is wonderful . . . . but if you have an M9 and some leica primes, then it's hard to think of a sensible reason for changing it to anything else.

I have the M8 and film Ms. To fund the K5, of course!

You have the Nikon for AF

I do not have any Af lenses. 28/1.4 is not used.

You have the Leica for ultimate quality with prime lenses

Yes and no, with what I have. I am an available light shooter

The Pentax is for?

When the ZF 100 gets too heavy and my hands start to shake, the IS shall come in handy. Plus the reduced weight.

If you suggested changing it for your Nikon, then that would definitely be worth more discussion!

Been too long with Nikon. Who said I ever made sensible decisions!

all the best
You too, Jono. Take care and thanks.

P

photogerald

IS should not be affected when using non-AF lenses - you will just need to manually enter the focal length on the camera body.

Nikon stays.
Some suggestions - DA35/2.4, DA70/2.4 Ltd, DFA100WR Macro (there is currently no in-production Pentax-branded 135 prime). The DFA100WR Macro also works very well as an outdoor portrait lens, and compares favourably to the Canon 100/2.8L Macro while being smaller, lighter, cheaper, and weather resistant.

rayyan

IS should not be affected when using non-AF lenses - you will just need to manually enter the focal length on the camera body.

Some suggestions - DA35/2.4, DA70/2.4 Ltd, DFA100WR Macro (there is currently no in-production Pentax-branded 135 prime). The DFA100WR Macro also works very well as an outdoor portrait lens, and compares favourably to the Canon 100/2.8L Macro while being smaller, lighter, cheaper, and weather resistant.
Thank you kindly. I have been reading up as much as I can on the net re: K5+glass that I missed your reply:D My apologies.

Why not the 77/1.8. My knowledge is only limited to asking the questions of experienced people like yourselves.

An equivalent fov 50/100/135-150 would be fine with me. Excellent optics, light weight, IS. Throw in a 35mm equivalent, and I really should be set.

even a 50 and a 100/150 would serve me well.

Thank you.

p.s I use only the 35/50/100 mm on my D700.

P

photogerald

Thank you kindly. I have been reading up as much as I can on the net re: K5+glass that I missed your reply:D My apologies.
No worries, it's only been a day. :)

Why not the 77/1.8. My knowledge is only limited to asking the questions of experienced people like yourselves.
Yes, if your budget allows for it then the FA Ltds are worth considering (FA31, FA43, FA77). A lot of folks in Pentax-land swear by them.

As I have a smaller budget, I went with the DA70 Ltd. :)

rayyan

No worries, it's only been a day. :)

Yes, if your budget allows for it then the FA Ltds are worth considering (FA31, FA43, FA77). A lot of folks in Pentax-land swear by them.

As I have a smaller budget, I went with the DA70 Ltd. :)
Thank you.

I have no budget at all. Have to create one, by selling off some stuff. So have to get it right ( as best as one can ), the first time around.

Your advice shall prove very useful.:salute: