The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My first real work with the K5

A friend and I drove to West, Texas for dinner and a chance to shoot the moon Saturday evening.. the moon was a bust but the trip was well worth the drive. We found an old abandoned hardware store and gained access to the inside (the rear door to the place was missing).. once inside I immediatly noticed the light was quite beautiful and that the sunset was visible through one of the store's old windows. The result is below.

This was taken with the K5 and the 18-135mm. Shot RAW (DNG) and post processed in Photoshop CS5. ISO 800 at 1/60 F/5 hand held.

I am really beginning to see what this camera is capable of when shooting RAW and loving its small size and light weight.

This is the kind of photography I enjoy and I am very pleased that the K5 fits my style....(and budget).

Armanius

Very nice catch Jim. That soft natural light is a nice contrast with the rough textures of the wall.

scho

A friend and I drove to West, Texas for dinner and a chance to shoot the moon Saturday evening.. the moon was a bust but the trip was well worth the drive. We found an old abandoned hardware store and gained access to the inside (the rear door to the place was missing).. once inside I immediatly noticed the light was quite beautiful and that the sunset was visible through one of the store's old windows. The result is below.

This was taken with the K5 and the 18-135mm. Shot RAW (DNG) and post processed in Photoshop CS5. ISO 800 at 1/60 F/5 hand held.

I am really beginning to see what this camera is capable of when shooting RAW and loving its small size and light weight.

This is the kind of photography I enjoy and I am very pleased that the K5 fits my style....(and budget).
Jim,

Excellent work. Nice composition and beautiful warm light.

ashwinrao1

Grat shot. Lice the contol of light that you have achieved. The K5 has a nice ability to capture this. Are you using the dyamin range expansion settings?

Thanks to all for taking the time to comment. I know this kind of work is not everyone's cup of tea but I do enjoy it so much.

I really love photographing old buildings which are now just ghosts of what they once were. This little hardware store in a small Texas town must have been one of the busiest places in town back in the 50s and 60s. When I visit such places I always try to imagine what it must have been like when the paint was new and it was a different time in this country. Long before HomeDepot and WalMart put such places out of business.

Ashwin, no this was shot JPG+RAW in neutral. I've still got a lot to learn about the K5 and intend to read the manual AGAIN today. I also have to set up a K5 section at Boxed Light and get started with thoughts and images there.

ashwinrao1

Wow, ipad-typing = typos. Yes, Jim, the K5 brochure is quite helpful in digging out some of the intricacies that I have found helpful. FYI the dynamic range expansion limits ISO to 200, but seems to expand control of shadows and highlights (no blowouts or burnouts)....I find that the RAW files are a tad flatter, but more amenable to post processing adjustments...

Great work, regardless. Keep showin' em. I'll be heading to your site to see what magic you are coming up with....

Best,
Ashwin

benroy

Subscriber Member
My traveling is limited to my backyard fence...here's a pic taken with the Pentax 50-135/2.8.

Roy Benson

Last edited:
Excellent Jim - I really enjoyed that - and your mardi gras pictures as well.
How are you finding the CA with the 18-135? does it bug you? or do you just sort it?

all the best
Jono,

Most of what I shoot (fortunatly) does not allow the CA to be an issue. I did find the 18-135 to be a very good walkaround lens and the weather sealing served me well in New Orleans where both the camera and I got somewhat soaked. Hoping to find time this weekend to do more with K5 and the primes that I ordered. May try some rodeo shots with them.

My traveling is limited to my backyard fence...here's a pic taken with the Pentax 50-135/2.8.

Roy Benson
Roy.. been there.. restricted to the backyard.. and if you go macro there is another world to explore. It's amazing what you can find when you decide to "look closer"..

Jim

Armanius

Jim-

Just read your write up and looked at some of the K-5 photos in BoxedLight. Very very nice! As always, your photos are so rich in colors. I like that! Where in Texas are you at? I'm in Houston!

-Armando