The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

K5 is here, first impressions, and first few photos!

Armanius

Hello everyone! The K5 arrived on Thursday and I had a chance to take a few photos today.

I ended up getting three lenses, not two as my other thread originally suggested. Thanks for all the recommendation folks. So without delay, the three lenses are ... DA21, FA43 and FA100 WR!

I am super impressed with the build of the K5 and all three lenses. First thought about the K5 -- it's bigger than I thought. I've seen photos comparing the GH2 and K5, and the K5 appeared to be not too much larger than the GH2. Put them side by side in front of me, and reality sets in. It looks larger and it definitely feels larger. I'd say the K5 is more close in size to the Nikon D7000 than the GH2. That being said, the ergonomics of the K5 are awesome for the most part. So thankful for the ISO button right next to the shutter!

The build of the DA21, FA43 and FA100 are awesome too. The two Ltd lenses remind me of the build of some of my Voigtlander M lenses. Total metal construction, solid, and the slide on cap lined with felt. The screw on hood on the FA43 is one ugly thing though, just like the Voigtlander Nokton 50/1.5, which also has the slide on cap lined with felt!

The lens that impressed me the most was the FA100 WR. I can't believe Pentax didn't put a * or Ltd on its name. Even though it's three inches in length, its diameter is small, and it's very light. But it's the construction that is most impressive. Solid metal, black matte color, smooth as silk. Very Leica-like construction.

Anyway, more thoughts on the lenses and camera some other time. Here are the first few photos that I took (other than the testing for front focus). All photos taken in RAW and processed in Lightroom 3.3.

Thanks again for everyone and their tips on the lenses! Not quite sure if I'm keeping all three lenses yet, but I'll keep y'all posted!

K5 + FA43

K5 + FA43

K5 + FA43

K5 + FA43

K5 + FA43

K5 + FA43

K5 + FA100 WR Macro
Focus point was the thingies in the middle of the tulip ... not sure what that's called! Thank you Pentax for SR as this was a handheld macro.

Sapphie

Great shots, Armanius! Build quality is, indeed, excellent. As you know I am keen to hear how the K5 compares with your GH2 but I'll maybe ask you that privately so as not to pollute this thread!

Lee

jonoslack

Hi there Armanius
Congratulations - glad it all arrived safely - glad you're pleased - love that first shot.
all the best

JMaher

Great to see you with the K5. Excellent photos.

I looking forward to seeing more - especially from the 100 as that seems like it might be on my "want" list.

Jim

Elliot

Great shots, Armanius! Build quality is, indeed, excellent. As you know I am keen to hear how the K5 compares with your GH2 but I'll maybe ask you that privately so as not to pollute this thread!

Lee
I have to admit an interest in your comparison as well. :angel:

scho

Armanius,

Nice portrait work with the K5+FA43. Enjoy and I hope the K5 works for you.

emr

Congrats on your purchase! I agree that the 100mm WR is a great lens. They probably do not call it a limited due to not being pretty compact like the limiteds are. Also, the DA* line has the (notorious) SDM AF motor and even better environmental shielding than WR lenses.

Regarding the GH2 vs. K-5 question: I owned a GH2 for some weeks, own a Pentax K-x and a K20D and just today spent quite some time at the local store trying a K-5. IMO the build quality of the K-5 is signficantly better than the GH2. K-5 feels like a tool, while the GH2 feels plasticky. OK, admittedly nice plastics, but not in the same league with the K-5, close to my K-x actually. Coming from (and returning to) Pentax I found the Panasonic UI confusing and non-intuitive. Can't say much of the IQ since I don't own a K-5 and actually shot very little with the GH2, because I only had the 14-140mm zoom and in the season of low light I just could not get one sharp image with the slow lens. Could've been different with a faster lens. Size-wise I think the main difference is the thickness due to the registration length, otherwise they're in the same rough league. I use size 8 gloves at work and K-5's ergonomy was a bit better in my hands than the GH2. (I actually always thought that I like compact cameras but today at the store I just loved how the big Canon 7D felt in my hand! Not the buttons or the menus, but the size and grip were just right.)

raist3d

I really think the K-5 (and similar) and the Sony A850/A900 have currently the best ergonomics and interface on this class of camera. I have some friends that do swear by Nikon's- maybe the ergonomics, wasn't too keen on the interface (not saying it's bad per se).

I was just shocked just how many features the K-5 has and yet they organized it in such a way as to not be overwhelming. The k-5 even has a built in intervalometer- something I have never understood why it's not standard on every DSLR.

- Raist