The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

K-5 ISO 25600 snap test - completely usable- Amazing.

raist3d

These are two snaps (not photographs!) I took last week. I have applied zero noise reduction converted the cat in Aperture, the night shot snap using Mac OS/X "preview" which as we know doesn't do as good of a job as Aperture.

No topaz, no tricks no nothing else. I must say these shots are quite usable in color, and even more so in black and white. Even some of the splotch noise of the cat is actually real data as the cat black fur does reflect light with a bit of a color shimmer (it's both- its mixed in).

Both shots close to 1.7 megapixels- not the usual 800x600 and 1024x768 class resolutions.

DA 70 pancake, at F2.4 1/15th, ISO 25600 (that's how low light this was and fluorescent light at that).

DA 21 pancake, at F13, 1/30th of a sec, ISO 25600. What surprises me the most about this shot is how many tones and DR there still are at this super high ISO.

If you want to compare vs the usual posted about other cameras here's the same shots just resized down to the 1024x768 mark:

- Raist

Last edited:

raist3d

Re: K-5 ISO 25600 snap test - completely usable

Update: for the first shots you will have to open in a new window by themselves, looks like the forums resizes them down a bit.

Pretty impressive I must say. No banding at all, still rich enough in DR and enough detail.

raist3d

F13 on the street shot?
Yup. If I was normally shooting the street landscape, I would try say F5.6-F11 (on Pentax). Keep things sharp. F13 doesn't necessarily hurt but it was more testing the ISO. The cat shot though is completely straightforward as-found situation... F2.4, 1/15th.

- Raist