The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

(K-5) More stuff at the park from today

Rich M

Nice captures....reminds me of Dolores Park in SF. Weather looks too nice though.

How are you liking the K-5?

R

raist3d

Hmmm... I wonder if it's Dolores park.

I think I will list the three key things I like so far and three key things I don't :)

Like:

- super high ISO/low light performance
- great DR
- small & rugged

Don't like:

- purple fringing or red fringing seen more often than I would like. When you stop the lens down it improves but sometimes the shot still has them.
- need to "work the colors" out better when doing RAW and some jpeg modes. Fuji & Olympus hit this note easier
- The fact that it's another system and I have to learn at an intuitive level something different (not really an issue with the K-5).

Do you have one?

- Raist

Amin

Thanks for showing me someplace that is warm :). We had some sun yesterday, but it was still cold.

Could you comment specifically on the 70/2.4? I am looking at portrait lens options for this system and after poring over tons of samples, I've pretty much ruled out the 77/1.8.

Rich M

- The fact that it's another system and I have to learn at an intuitive level something different (not really an issue with the K-5).

Do you have one?
I just pulled the trigger on one.....hasn't arrived yet.

For me, it will replace most of my Canon system (I am hoping). It will augment nicely the m4/3 gear.

R

Amin

Rich, I just don't like the bokeh character wide open, and for me to spend that much on a fast lens, I need to like the bokeh character wide open. I know it is widely regarded as a "magical" lens with "creamy" bokeh, but after looking at 1000s of samples, I can tell it just isn't going to suit me.

I can live with the fact that it doesn't have the greatest edge sharpness or CA performance. In practice, I doubt that either of those would be issues for me.

jonoslack

Rich, I just don't like the bokeh character wide open, and for me to spend that much on a fast lens, I need to like the bokeh character wide open. I know it is widely regarded as a "magical" lens with "creamy" bokeh, but after looking at 1000s of samples, I can tell it just isn't going to suit me.

I can live with the fact that it doesn't have the greatest edge sharpness or CA performance. In practice, I doubt that either of those would be issues for me.
HI Amin - presumably this means that you've finally collapsed in defeat!

I've been having a similar decision issue over the lenses.

all the best

jonoslack

Lovely pictures Jim
I really like the first one, the third and fourth, and the upside down couple - excellent.

raist3d

Thanks for showing me someplace that is warm :). We had some sun yesterday, but it was still cold.

Could you comment specifically on the 70/2.4? I am looking at portrait lens options for this system and after poring over tons of samples, I've pretty much ruled out the 77/1.8.
Well I picked the DA 70 F2.4 as my "orthogonal perspective"/ portrait lens. Picked over the others because it's a pancake lens, which means unusually small for what it does.

As a portrait lens it can definitively work. I have only two issues with it on that end:

#1. If you shoot at a smaller aperture (higher F number) than pretty wide (F2.4-F3.5) the bokeh circles start getting pentax-ated (geometric-sided, not circles, pun not intended but there it is). This doesn't particularly bother me in the sense that normally when doing a portrait I am shooting pretty wide open but it's something to watch for.

#2. Purple fringing can show up very easy at F2.4 in moderately harsh to very harsh light... and even some higher F's. I am mixed about this because apparently it is partially related to the specific sensor and its micro mirrors interacting with the lens, as apparently other Pentax models may not have as much.

As for real portraits you can see some here (from the DA 70 + DA 21 thread):

Effective ISO 12800 (ISO 6400 pushed up 1 stop):

This one was the DA 70 but it's cropped:

- Raist