The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

anyone check their k5 for sensor stains?

markwon

Just got my K5 yesterday and I was wondering if I need to check the sensor. I read somewhere that the later serial numbers, mine starts at 401xxxxx, are free of the problem.

Also, if anyone is using the FA limited lenses on the K5, is there a way to have the body recognize the f stop while using the aperture ring on the lens?

jonoslack

Just got my K5 yesterday and I was wondering if I need to check the sensor. I read somewhere that the later serial numbers, mine starts at 401xxxxx, are free of the problem.

Also, if anyone is using the FA limited lenses on the K5, is there a way to have the body recognize the f stop while using the aperture ring on the lens?
Hi Mark
I had one of the early K5s. I did check the sensor (put it on manual focus - focus to infinity - take a picture of a piece of paper from 10cm at f22, then do a levels adjustment in photoshop and pull the tabs in to pull out the histogram).

Mine did have a couple of spots close together with a halo around them - but the reality was that it had absolutely no effect on images - I've just sent it in to get it fixed, but it's only so that I can decide whether to keep the black or the silver K5.

I've checked the silver camera and it's fine.

So - my feeling (FWIW) is just forget about it. Pentax have acknowledged the problem, so if it crops up later you can get it fixed then. Why not just enjoy the camera now?

markwon

. Why not just enjoy the camera now?
Jono, Yes...this is how I feel. I don't want to waste time figuring our this problem. I'm just wary since QC issues seem so common with Pentax. I just returned the sigma 17-50 for back focus issues. Now I'm taking a jab at the DA*16-50 which you have. Hopefully, I won't need to go through 4 copies before I find one usable. Perhaps my used copy from a guy who has done the sifting for me would turn out to be the wise choice. We'll see.

Thanks for the input!

jonoslack

Jono, Yes...this is how I feel. I don't want to waste time figuring our this problem. I'm just wary since QC issues seem so common with Pentax. I just returned the sigma 17-50 for back focus issues. Now I'm taking a jab at the DA*16-50 which you have. Hopefully, I won't need to go through 4 copies before I find one usable. Perhaps my used copy from a guy who has done the sifting for me would turn out to be the wise choice. We'll see.

Thanks for the input!
Good luck with the 16-50, I'm rather pleased with my current one, the others were all bad around 35mm (not at the ends as you'd expect). I don't think you can ever expect this kind of lens to be perfect right to the corners wide open.

I've had problems with Nikon, Leica, Tamron lenses in the past too, in fact, the only manufacturers I think I've had 100% in the past are Olympus and Sigma

Anyway, the 16-50 is a nice lens, small for it's range, nicely made, weathersealed of course, quiet focusing - I hope you enjoy.

Incidentally I really enjoyed your post about rangefinders on that other thread; you summed up why my M9 is most important to me much better than I ever could have done.

all the best

Amin

My K-5 arrived today, and I won't be checking for any spots unless I see something in use. Can't remember the last time I shot at higher than f/11 on an APS-C camera.

jonoslack

My K-5 arrived today, and I won't be checking for any spots unless I see something in use. Can't remember the last time I shot at higher than f/11 on an APS-C camera.
Congratulations on the arrival - I'm sure you're right - I'm rather ashamed that I checked mine now!

all the best
Jon