The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Gear question alert- What's your favorite Ultra-Wide Lens for the K5

ashwinrao1

So lots of threads recently about the relative positives and negatives of the 15 mm DA lens, which was going to by my target lens. Now, I am not so sure...I'd like to keep it in the family (Pentax if possible) and I am happy to go either manual or automatic.

Here are some that I am considering
1. 15 DA
2. 14 f/2.8 DA
3. DA 12-24
4, 17 mm f/4 fisheye
5. 15 mm f/3.5 (A mount or K mount)

Truth be told, at the moment, I am leaning towards options 1 or 2, but I need some more consensus opinion. I am essentially looking to cover 24-25 mm focal length (effective 35 mm), which makes these lenses the closest options. If there are great non Pentaxian lenses out there, especially smaller primes, I am all ears!

iiiNelson

From the results I've seen I like the 14/2.8 the best of Pentax's WA lenses but Jonoslack's 10-20/3.5 Sigma has me interested in it too as an alternative once I purchase my K5.

Godfrey

So lots of threads recently about the relative positives and negatives of the 15 mm DA lens, which was going to by my target lens. Now, I am not so sure...I'd like to keep it in the family (Pentax if possible) and I am happy to go either manual or automatic.

Here are some that I am considering
1. 15 DA
2. 14 f/2.8 DA
3. DA 12-24
4, 17 mm f/4 fisheye
5. 15 mm f/3.5 (A mount or K mount)

Truth be told, at the moment, I am leaning towards options 1 or 2, but I need some more consensus opinion. I am essentially looking to cover 24-25 mm focal length (effective 35 mm), which makes these lenses the closest options. If there are great non Pentaxian lenses out there, especially smaller primes, I am all ears!
I used the DA14/2.8 extensively ... it was the reason I bought a Pentax DSLR in the first place. The 12-24 wasn't available at that time. It's a very good lens.

shadzee

I used to have a Sigma A-24mm F/2.8 macro II manual lens which was FANTASTIC. It was one of those lenses I should have never sold. The lens is very small, focuses closely, and is VERY sharp... with beautiful rendering. (it works with all the body automatons, except it is not an AF lens). Sigma also had an AF version of the lens, which I did not find appealing. Their newer lenses in that focal length are faster, and MUCH bigger.

About your list;
- For landscape work; Pentax 12-24/4 hands down
- For everyday / street work; Pentax DA 15/4

ashwinrao1

THans, Sam, Godfrey, and Hired...

I think I'd likely use the 14/15 for more everyday work, but I do enjoy landscapes and shoot weddings on occasion that require wider shots. All said and told,. I think I may lean towards the 12-24 as an option, despite its size.

If I can find a sigma 24 macro-A, I'll try to obtain that!

Best,
Ashwin

Armanius

So what is the beef against the DA15? The Photozone test wasn't very impressive, but is it really that bad?

emr

So what is the beef against the DA15? The Photozone test wasn't very impressive, but is it really that bad?
The different test results and user experiences seem to vary from one extreme to the other. Don't know if there's that much variability in individual lenses.

Armanius

Ok, I broke down and ordered a DA15. Hope mine works out well. BH has them back in stock for about $100 less than Amazon.