The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Pentax 16-50 DA*

JMaher

Jono,

I think it was just an Audi.:)

I purchased an S4 convertible 3 years ago and traded it after 3 weeks. The backup warning system only lightly sounded in the trunk and not at all at the drivers seat, the seats were different (much worse) then the S4 sedan I had tried, the mileage was ridiculously low. I traded it on a BMW convertible that drives beautifully and causes me no trouble.

Sorry for the off topic reply but I couldn't help myself. :)

Jim

jonoslack

I'd just buy something else, Jono. Why waste all the time and energy spending money on stuff that doesn't work right?
Ah Godfrey - of course you're right, but can you suggest what I should buy? When I have to send back Nikon lenses . . . . but never Sigma, and I have to send back Audi cars . . . but never Saab - I could go on.

Of course, one could simply buy nothing! (what a novel idea)

jonoslack

Jono,

I think it was just an Audi.:)

I purchased an S4 convertible 3 years ago and traded it after 3 weeks. The backup warning system only lightly sounded in the trunk and not at all at the drivers seat, the seats were different (much worse) then the S4 sedan I had tried, the mileage was ridiculously low. I traded it on a BMW convertible that drives beautifully and causes me no trouble.

Sorry for the off topic reply but I couldn't help myself. :)

Jim
Hi Jim
Well actually, fundamentally, I really like the Audi, and the dealership have been wonderful (cases of wine and cheques as well as the no brainer exchange).
As for the BMW - rear wheel drive on our country lanes in the winter is a no brain job (i.e. you would be mad) - added to which that coupe-convertibles (including the 3 series) have no trunk space (can't afford a 6 series). The A5 is just the right size, the fuel consumption is great (I know about the S4 - a friend had one :eek: ), the seats are fab. It would just be good if it worked properly!

iiiNelson

I badly want the new A7 in a year or two but the phrase "Audi electrical problems" scares me when spending that kind of money. I hear the models that originate as Audi's aren't back but the Volkswagon underpinned designs (A4/A6) can be a nightmare IF you get a bad one. May just go for a BMW M3 or 5 Series before they neuter them when the time comes... Unless I have to worry about family space. :/

JMaher

Jono,

Our roads are different and rear wheel drive is fine. I have a 335 with the hardtop roof. It's not that the trunk space is small, it's virtually non-existent. Luckily there is usually only one or two of us and the backseat serves as the place to put things.

I don't have anything against Audi in general - just the one that I owned.
Jim

**** Trying to get back on topic - you have basically talked me out of a 16-50. I just sent back my 43 (wasn't finding it as sharp as everyone else - maybe my copy). I love the 18-135 but a one lens system doesn't make sense. I'd like something faster and something wider.

jonoslack

Jono,

Our roads are different and rear wheel drive is fine. I have a 335 with the hardtop roof. It's not that the trunk space is small, it's virtually non-existent. Luckily there is usually only one or two of us and the backseat serves as the place to put things.
Different here I guess . . in a way it's our principal car (Emma has a mini convertible, a horse box and a 20 year old Saab turbo convertible classic). So the boot space matters, and ragtops are just much better from that point of view (it's huge in the A5). Added to which, UK tax means that I either have a sensible engine (2 litre TFSI) as a company car, or a big engine and pay for it out of my own funds! :eek: :OT:

**** Trying to get back on topic - you have basically talked me out of a 16-50. I just sent back my 43 (wasn't finding it as sharp as everyone else - maybe my copy). I love the 18-135 but a one lens system doesn't make sense. I'd like something faster and something wider.
My current 16-50 proves that it can be good . . . . . . . can be!

I also like and have the 35 f2.8 macro the 60/250 and the 10/20 Sigma zoom - although I understand the general tendency towards the limited primes, that's what my M9 is for.

but like you, I love the 18-135 - it keeps banging out fine shots, and it's so small and neat.

all the best