The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Silver or Black, 16-50 or not!

jonoslack

HI There
I just got a message from the dealer that my black K5 is back waiting for me, and that it's been replaced. Not sure how long it's been, but less than 10 days I think. Nothing to complain about.

Now I guess I have to decide which one to keep - the silver or the black?

and whether to get the 3rd faulty 16-50 replaced or not?

Ho and definitely hum

all the best

ecsh

Comes down to how it feels. Does the silver one really have a deeper grip?
3 strikes and your out, as i say.
Joe

Armanius

One of those tough choices in life ... I like black better. Silver is nice looking, but would attract too much attention, IMO.

Sapphie

Jono

If you want to get rid of a silver one at half price I might be interested!!!

LOL (apparently now an 'official' word in the Oxford English Dictionary)

Lee

emr

I think Armanius may have a point regarding the attention. In principle the silver one looks such a classic camera and I was very tempted. Most silver DSLRs today look cheap, but then again they usually are. Like the silver Pentax K200D that I used to own, which was tacky plastic. I haven't seen a silver K-5 in my own hands, but in pictures it looks pretty classy compared to most silver ones.

Well, my retailer called me today and told that they have now finally received stock (a total of nine silver K-5s). But after a short pondering I canceled the order. It looks nice, but not 200€ nicer than the black one to me. So I guess I'll pretty soon buy a black one.

DavidL

Silver machines can "Fly sideways through time" So that could be a decider.
Although there can appear to be a colour shift when they do ;)

D

DRabbit

I'd kill for a silver one. :)
I have to wait until my tax refund money gets here to make my K5 purchase, and I'm so fearful they'll all be gone by the time that happens!

I've been going through the "to buy the 16-50 or not" dance recently and ended up deciding on the 18-135 instead so I can afford the FA 31. I saw your posts on it too :)
Don't know if I'm making the right choice, but when I read about the problems some have had with the 16-50, it makes me feel better about my decision. I think if I were you, I'd be REALLY frustrated with having the lens go south three time. I really wish ALL of Pentax' lenses were weather-sealed!

Godfrey

HI There
I just got a message from the dealer that my black K5 is back waiting for me, and that it's been replaced. Not sure how long it's been, but less than 10 days I think. Nothing to complain about.

Now I guess I have to decide which one to keep - the silver or the black?

and whether to get the 3rd faulty 16-50 replaced or not?
- It's mostly inconsequential, but I always buy black-finish cameras when they're available. I don't buy cameras for looks, I buy them as tools, and black-finish has less chance of catching light causing it to be more noticeable or putting a reflection or glint into the photograph. Same reason I usually wear dark/dull colored clothing ... :)

- You mean you have to think whether to replace a defective lens?

mathomas

I must be one of the only people that generally thinks silver DSLRs, with the LCDs and grips, and other anti-classic features look bad. The K-5 in particular, is just plain fugly and cheap-looking in pictures, IMO (maybe it's better in person, in the hand). I love silver film SLRs on the other hand because they're sleek, minimalist, and classic.

All that being said, I have a Sony A55. Even all-black can't take the fugly off that camera :).

(Has "fugly" made it into the OED (yet)? Seems they're letting just any "word" in there these days.)

woodyspedden

My favorite look so far is the black K5 with the silver FA's!

But then I loved my black M8U with silver Leica lenses as well. Must be a personal bias

Woody

emr

My favorite look so far is the black K5 with the silver FA's!
Really??? I find the silver lenses a bit tacky to begin with but they just might do with a silver body. But silver lenses and a black body - yuck! Then again silver body with black lenses - how much more classic can you get?

EDIT:

woodyspedden

Really??? I find the silver lenses a bit tacky to begin with but they just might do with a silver body. But silver lenses and a black body - yuck! Then again silver body with black lenses - how much more classic can you get?

EDIT:

Different strokes my friend. I find black on black to be more yucky but that is just me! Actually the "classic" look for leica was a silver top and bottom body with silver lenses. Black came along much later

Cheers

Woody

iiiNelson

I would want the anti-scratch glass and larger grip from the Silver body. I have large hands. Giotto would suffice but with "Gorilla" type glass available on everything including cell phones I don't see why it's not "standard" on expensive cameras.

emr

Hmmm... There's one single silver one available at a good store over here, probably the last in the country. Tempted...

You folks who have seen one IRL, how's it look? Is it classy or tacky? And the grip, just how much bigger is it compared to the black one?

ashwinrao1

personally have the black one, have sort of lusted over the silver, but like the discretion of a black, compact camera...no one would ever pay attention, so to speak.

That being said, the K5 seems like a very popular camera for both now and in the future, on the used market, and the silver one is produced in less numbers, and thus may be seen to have some element of collectability, which = higher resale value on the used market....

If I were in your shoes, I'd keep the silver, I think...

ashwinrao1

Oh, and I'd trade in that 16-50. If it's defective, that would keep echoing through my head, and I would not use the lens...but that's just me....good luck, Jono!

emr

Ashwin, Jono's black one has been for sale for a week on the forum. So I guess he agrees with you. ;)

The only cameras I have ever appreciated in silver are Leicas.. Everything else looks better in black to me... but of course, it always boils down to a personal chocie. I prefer black because it doesn't stand out or draw attention.