The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax - Zeiss 50 Planar - we're all bonkers

woodyspedden

HI Woody
It'll be great to have you on board - a capable and satisfying camera!
I was actually going to buy the Pentax 55 with the proceeds from the Zeiss, but as the Zeiss didn't sell, and anyway, I've rather fallen in love with it.

What other lenses are you getting?

all the best
Hi Jono

Thinking about the 21DA and the 43 1.9 for starters. The 43 makes for a compact kit to carry around all the time and given the crop sensor the 21 may be a good fit. I don't know yet about wider and really longer lenses so I would appreciate any advice you guys may have. (Also looking at the 35 macro for the macro capabilities)

Woody

Rich M

I was also thinking again about the 100 WR - selling it and buying the (much bigger and heavier) Zeiss, just because the AF motor is noisy is an odd decision . . this afternoon I'm going to spend a little time playing with the 100 WR with . . . yes, you got it . . . manual focus! :ROTFL:
I find that I prefer autofocus lenses on the K-5, EXCEPT when I shoot macro....and as much as I like the DA35 macro, I don't like being that close to my subject.

If I were to get a longer lens with macro capability, I would want one that could easily double for a portrait lens. The 100MP is called "bitingly sharp"....(hhmmm.....those in my peer group would probably want me to smear vaseline on the lens :eek:).

The 100MP costs more than the K-5 (not unusual for a signature lens). It's a beast (680g), as others have said. Lens speed would probably lend itself to a brighter viewfinder.....

Jono.....I think you should get one and report back to the group :ROTFL:

I wonder how the cheaper and slower Voigtlander SL II 90/3.5 APO in the PK mount would be?

R

benroy

Subscriber Member
One more thing about the 25/2.8 Distagon ZK...it does focus close...for example: I don't know whether you see billowing sails or rampant phalluses here, but they're sharp.

Roy Benson

Last edited:

jonoslack

Jono.....I think you should get one and report back to the group :ROTFL:
+1 Definitely interested in seeing what the Zeiss 100 is like on the K5.
Yeah, well, tough - I've just worked out how to use the 100 WR macro without going crazy (see other post), and as it's half the weight and 1/3 price . . . even if it is a little slower.

My search for a Zeiss 100 macro is over. :p

woodyspedden

Yeah, well, tough - I've just worked out how to use the 100 WR macro without going crazy (see other post), and as it's half the weight and 1/3 price . . . even if it is a little slower.

My search for a Zeiss 100 macro is over. :p
Jono

I used the Zeiss ZF on my Nikons (all sold now due to the awful yellow bias on green landscapes.....other than that though, great system). Anyway my favorite lens of all was the 100mm! I am attaching an image I took a couple of years back while on one of Guy and Jack's workshops.

For knowledge only

Woody

Rich M

Jono

I used the Zeiss ZF on my Nikons (all sold now due to the awful yellow bias on green landscapes.....other than that though, great system). Anyway my favorite lens of all was the 100mm! I am attaching an image I took a couple of years back while on one of Guy and Jack's workshops.

For knowledge only

Woody
Woody......nice image.....just ANOTHER reason why Jono should get the 100MP. :thumbup:

jonoslack

Hi Woody
Lovely - nice to know that your Nikon gear went for exactly the same reason as mine.

sorry though Rich - I like the 100 WR, nice bokeh, weather resistant, small, easy to manual focus, and with that little AF touch if you need it!

fab

all the best