The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Night time photo E-1 vs K-5 opinions needed

bbodine9

I am looking to upgrade my system but would like opinions on how the K-5 would have handled this photo from last night vs my E-1. Thanks in advance for comments!

woodyspedden

One of the strengths of the K5 is its high ISO performance. Easily usable to 12,800 it is very strong at 6400. Couple it with a lens e.g. 55 1.4 SDM and you should (I think) exceed the low light performance of the E5......JMHO

Woody

raist3d

Well the K-5 is one of the current DR and definitively APS_C low light high iso kings. It will beat your E-1 (I mean the E_1 is how many years old now?) and even the E-5 hands down.

But I think the better question to ask is- what exactly you think you need. Your photo with the E-1 doesn't look all that bad to me. If you have Olympus glass and this is the level of low light you have to deal with, the E-5 may be a better option as you don't have to buy more glass.

If you don't have much Olympus glass at all then it becomes a different story. At $1,700 USD, the E-5 certainly invites to consider a system switch depending on your needs.

- Raist