The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zoom Lenses - platitudes, pontification, pragmatism, perseverance . . . and rape!

jonoslack

Screw the lens worrying. I want to live where you live!
Hi there
Well, it's very nice and rural, and it's gorgeous in the springtime, but it's really pretty flat around here, and the UK weather isn't the best in the world.

The grass is certainly greener on this side of the hill, but the sea certainly isn't bluer! and the hills are nothing like as hilly :)

jonoslack

Amuzing stuff, Jono. I just don't get on with the "normal zoom" thing. I'd much rather use a nice fast normal lens any time. I do find an ultrawide zoom and a medium to long zoom useful, the latter only once in a bit.

But I like the rape photos. I have a panorama I took of rape fields taken near Loughboro in about 1999 or so hanging in my office. Made it by stitching three frames taken with a Contax Tix on Fuji F100 film. Wonder if I can find the negs anywhere ... I could do a better job of it now. ;-)
HI Godfrey - Loughborough indeed!
Rape is very photogenic, but one can have too much of it, and the smell's a bit of an acquired taste as well.

I don't want to use zooms all the time, but when I just go out to exercise me and the dog it's sometimes nice to have one lens to cover all I need. The 18-135 does do that (as Jim has discovered), but it's more satisfying if one plays to it's strengths. Other days and it's nice to go out with just one lens (usually a 28 or a 50 on an M9).

all the best

mathomas

Hi there
Well, it's very nice and rural, and it's gorgeous in the springtime, but it's really pretty flat around here, and the UK weather isn't the best in the world.

The grass is certainly greener on this side of the hill, but the sea certainly isn't bluer! and the hills are nothing like as hilly :)
OK, I feel better now ;)

Nice shots of a beautiful countryside.

Armanius

Received my 18-135 from Amazon today. Very nice construction (as it should be for a $490 lens). Only took two photos so far, and focus seems to be good. Whether or not it ultimately gives me good IQ, I gotta say one thing -- this lens is QUIET! And it auto focuses FAST!

Out of all the lenses I tried so far on the K5 (DA15, DA21, FA35, FA43, FA100, Tamron 17-50 and Sigma 17-50), this is THE fastest and quietest lens. Of course, out of those other seven lens, only the Sigma was a HSM/SDM/SSW/SSM/etc ... But the 18-135 still auto focuses faster and more quieter than the Siggy for sure!

Sapphie

Armanius

I don't know why you bothered. It might be fast and quiet and expensive (not Leica expensive though) but don't you know it's a rubbish lens? The reviews say so ...

BIG smilies :)

Lee

Armanius

In retrospect, if I'd known that the greed Kepitalizts would raise the price by $200, I would have kept it! :)

And yes, the 18-135 is rubbish! Photozone said so!!! Photozone does get it right most of the time though.

woodyspedden

Just received the Zeiss ZK 50 Makro from Popflash Photo. (They have more) Apparently Zeiss, after discontinuing the lens, did another run. (I won't say final but ...........who knows)

I had the 50 Makro when I was shooting Nikon but primarily used the 100 makro on the full frame sensor. I liked the working distance of the 100 but figured that with the APC sensor of the K5 50 may be ideal.

I just grabbed a couple of shots to see the lens performance so no judgements about artistic content please! LOL

Enjoy

Woody

Armanius

Just received the Zeiss ZK 50 Makro from Popflash Photo. (They have more) Apparently Zeiss, after discontinuing the lens, did another run. (I won't say final but ...........who knows)

I had the 50 Makro when I was shooting Nikon but primarily used the 100 makro on the full frame sensor. I liked the working distance of the 100 but figured that with the APC sensor of the K5 50 may be ideal.

I just grabbed a couple of shots to see the lens performance so no judgements about artistic content please! LOL

Enjoy

Woody
Those two shots look great, particularly the second one.

Oh no, more LBA coming ...

Paratom

Hi There Tom
I must say, if I had an S2 and an M9 I don't think I'd have much time for the K5 either.
Still - I'm not getting too many shots out of focus.
Incidentally, the problem with the 16-50 really was different - I had one memorable portrait shot of a tree trunk at f5.6 taken from about 20 ft away looking straight at it - the middle was pin sharp, as was the top, the bottom was completely soft - very strange.

Back to 'normal'. There is no question that the focus point is much bigger than it looks - (but the K5 isn't alone in this - it's also true of the D700). I've found that it does mean that on an angled subject the point of most contrast may not be the point in the middle.

The other issue is that when you pixel peep your D700, you're looking at a larger part of the image (but of course you know to take this into account).

I did lots of work fiddling with calibration for different lenses, but in the end I settled for +2 overall, and that does seem to do the trick most of the time.

Do you find that it's mostly backfocus or frontfocus issues (or, indeed, that the subject is just blurred?).

all the best
Hi Jono and good morning everybody,
I did further test and my problem seems lens related.
The 35macro for example seems to focus very reliable. Its the most consistent lens out of those I have.
The 50-135 seems to also focus pretty good.

At the same time I shot comparisons with Nikon (50-135 vs Nikon 70-200VR, 70da vs 105/2.0DC) and the Nikon shots were just 100% spot on.
Also when you shoot it side by side there is quit a difference in viewfinder size. Of course there is also a big difference in lens size.
While the sharpness and AF of the Nikon seem really faster and better, I now believe with the right lens and right fine calibration the K5 AF should work fine.
The color in PS from the K5 raws I prefer over the Nikon - however with some work on profile the Nikon seems very similar (in PS I chose D2x mode 3 and reduced dynamic and saturation).
Frankly, for me its a love hate relation with the K5 and I just cant get rid of it.
I think I will also add the 18-135 because this looks like a real compact set when you dont want to carry a lot of gear.

By the way I also shot some comparisons (for fun) between the M9+50lux-asph, S2 and 70/2.5 and K5+35/2.8
- The IQ difference was much smaller than I would think, the color in LR was also quite similar (this was just nature shots, no skin) with the Pentax and the M9 (in evening sun light). The S2 seems overall a little cooler and to render the blue sky somewhat different as well
- With the S2 (as expected) the sharpness is the highest/pops most which generates and intersting look the sharp subject popping out of the other areas
- The Bokeh of the 50/1.4 at f1.7 seems slightly smoother than S-70/2.5!!

It just showed me again how wonderfull and smooth the M9 with the right lens works.
It also showed me that my sharpness-"problems" with the K5 are indeed AF and also lens related. (the 35/2.8 Macro rocks).
I really think a good lens with good optics and very important a lens which focuses right makes much much more difference than the sensor in modern cameras.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I really think a good lens with good optics and very important a lens which focuses right makes much much more difference than the sensor in modern cameras.
I could not agree more! Have seen this in all the systems I owned so far and always was (is) still true!

jonoslack

It just showed me again how wonderfull and smooth the M9 with the right lens works.
It also showed me that my sharpness-"problems" with the K5 are indeed AF and also lens related. (the 35/2.8 Macro rocks).
HI Tom
I think that everything is important - the weakest link is always going to be the limiting factor. I'd agree that the lenses/focusing are the weak link with the K5, just as the sensor is with the E5 - In the M9 I guess it's high ISO?

Perhaps the sensor doesn't seem important to you because all your cameras have great sensors?

For me, if I want maximum quality I'm always going to pick up the M9 (why wouldn't I). The K5 seems to be boiling down largely to two lenses: the 18-135 (because, despite it's obvious limitations, it simply works well with the shots I take) and the 35 macro (because it's a stonking lens!). I'd love it if the 15 was also a stonking lens, but it clearly isn't (at least, not if you want sharp corners).

Let's face it, both of us have the K5 as a kind of compact/convenience substitute - perhaps you should grab yourself the 18-135, bear in mind it's reasonable limitations and see if it floats your boat ?- if it don't, then bung the whole kit, if it does, then it makes a nice companion to an M9, and it's great to just sling over your shoulder and use.

all the best

Sapphie

Interestingly enough, there are threads in the DPR Nikon D7000 forum that talk about getting optimal sharpness ... one thread I saw suggested a shutter speed of at least 1/500th sec for landscape work, presumably to avoid the extra prominence of any camera shake on a higher pixel count sensor. That camera uses the same sensor as the K5.

To my mind the only cameras that don't have any focus error issues (other than operator error) are those that use CDAF, such as micro 4/3rds.

I have been through similar issues as Tom and seem to have spent an inordinate amount of time taking test pictures. And yet, those that do come out good are really very good. I can also quite easily ruin shots on my GH2 if the shutter speed is too low ... On the other hand I was out with it and the Panny 20mm lens at the weekend and the sharpness is astonishing ...

I don't know, bloody cameras! And now there's that X100 to tease and tempt. One thing for sure though I am getting more exercise and both K5 and GH2 have rejuvenated my desire to get out and take pictures.

Lee