The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What tele lens for shooting birds on a budget?

MalcolmP

Oh hell
Now I want a long lens as well - Malc you have a great deal to answer for.
Wonderful pictures

I have more of an immediate problem in that we have a goldfinch nesting just below our bedroom window - so 500mm ain't required, but how to shoot it without disturbing it (if you see what I mean!).
Taa. muchly Jono.
Great opportunity with the goldfinch,doubt very much the creative imagination that your shots display will get stuck for ideas! but i'd like to see what -camera on window cill,sigma10-20,cable release and you gunning the motor drive as it flew in would turn out:)("oh no! not peeking round the curtains again":ROTFL:)
Regards
Malcolm

gogopix

Subscriber
Just for grins, I got a K-7 and a Leitax mount for the Leica 400/6.8

For under 500 USD you get a really great birding lens, and the body stabilization adds a stop or two.

try it.

Victor

benroy

Subscriber Member
Victor has something going here...the Leitz 400/6.8 is one of the greatest, sharpest lenses ever made. I had one that I used with the Leicaflex SL, back in my salad days.

If you get a chance, Victor, please upload a couple of examples.

Roy Benson

Knorp

Just for grins, I got a K-7 and a Leitax mount for the Leica 400/6.8

For under 500 USD you get a really great birding lens, and the body stabilization adds a stop or two.

try it.

Victor
Victor has something going here...the Leitz 400/6.8 is one of the greatest, sharpest lenses ever made. I had one that I used with the Leicaflex SL, back in my salad days.

If you get a chance, Victor, please upload a couple of examples.

Roy Benson
+1 l'd love to see some shots, Victor !

Kind regards.

gogopix

Subscriber
I need to get some time (witha M9 and P65+ the Pentax K-7 isnt exactly my first weapon of choice)
HOWEVER< with body stability and the 400/6.8 (and I am sure I am not nailing focus here, and the speed is likely too slow, AND I think I used ISO 400, as this was overcast winter!
still, encourages me.
Also have some interesting avi, the movie is really a great option. I may use this as a 'walk around' if I dont get into trouble (the Laica shoulder mount nunfortunately look slike a bazooka launcher! :eek:

BTW these are from about 100 feet away and they are cropped. PS processing (I want to try C1, much better for pulling detail and lifting shadows)

Victor

Knorp

I need to get some time (witha M9 and P65+ the Pentax K-7 isnt exactly my first weapon of choice)
HOWEVER< with body stability and the 400/6.8 (and I am sure I am not nailing focus here, and the speed is likely too slow, AND I think I used ISO 400, as this was overcast winter!
still, encourages me.
Also have some interesting avi, the movie is really a great option. I may use this as a 'walk around' if I dont get into trouble (the Laica shoulder mount nunfortunately look slike a bazooka launcher! :eek:

BTW these are from about 100 feet away and they are cropped. PS processing (I want to try C1, much better for pulling detail and lifting shadows)

Victor
Thanks Victor, these samples look very promising.
Now to find the lens, there is/was one (boxed including all bits&pieces and almost new) on the bay for nearly €1000.
Bit I don't know yet, I think I like having a bit of zoom.

Kind regards.

gogopix

Subscriber
Thanks Victor, these samples look very promising.
Now to find the lens, there is/was one (boxed including all bits&pieces and almost new) on the bay for nearly €1000.
Bit I don't know yet, I think I like having a bit of zoom.

Kind regards.
That's too bad about price; a few years they were giving them away (I got several, all under $500 and also the 5.6 400 and 560, and of all thing, the 800 6.3 The latter, Leica gave you a free Volkswagen if you bought one. They were $20,000!)

Anyway, keep in mind. Prices will drop, as I know there are a LOT out there (M visoflex and "R" mounts)

I wish I could say that a zoom would help me but I am no Doug HErr and I need all the magnification I can get :D

regards
Victor

Knorp

Anyone tried a teleconverter on his K5 ?
I've got the lovely 200/2.8 and a 1.4x offers 280/3.9 and a 2x offers 400/5.6 !
Not precisely a zoom, but still not bad at all, is it ?
I've seen teleconverters from Sigma and Soligor, but wonder if they work with any brand lens on the K5.

Any thoughts, anyone ?

Thanks and kind regards.