The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with DA*16-50 [for as long as it last]

benroy

Subscriber Member
Really good stuff with the 16-50, Jim. I think my closeups with the lens are better than my long distance (landscape) images....and your piano and lanterns pics kind of back that up...a really fun lens...kind of on the big and cumbersome side, but it grows on you.

Roy Benson

benroy

Subscriber Member
Out on dawn patrol with dog and 16-50...85 degrees at 7:30 AM and the gnats are vicious...but some interesting pics despite all of this. Still maintain that this lens excels at close-up stuff and then begins to soften a bit as it moves toward infinity.

Roy Benson

Last edited:

Knorp

Out on dawn patrol with dog and 16-50...85 degrees at 7:30 AM and the gnats are vicious...but some interesting pics despite all of this. Still maintain that this lens excels at close-up stuff and then begins to soften a bit as it moves toward infinity.

Roy Benson
Hi there Roy,

those temperatures together with gnats seem like a bad recipe to me.
But your pics are fine, though.
You could be very well right about the lens producing sharper images up close.
I'll have to look into that one day.

Kind regards.

Knorp

As traffic is slow these days, let's post some from the beach at Scheveningen.
Although the weather was fine, the wind was quite fierce.

DavidL

As traffic is slow these days, let's post some from the beach at Scheveningen.
Although the weather was fine, the wind was quite fierce.

Great set. From my first scan with my bleary optic, I likes the last two best
Cheers
David

Rich M

Very nice Bart........I just picked a copy of this lens up (used). I hope that copy is as sharp as yours......and that my pictures are as good. :)

R

benroy

Subscriber Member
Bart: the 16-50 is looking more and more like the ideal travel camera...good sharp images, snappy color...not only looks windy, but a bit on the chilly side as compared to the 90+ temps we're getting here...you don't dare walk barefooted on the beach sand!

Roy Benson

Knorp

Very nice Bart........I just picked a copy of this lens up (used). I hope that copy is as sharp as yours......and that my pictures are as good. :)

R
Hi there Rich,

well, looking at Jono's history with this lens, it's a bit of a gamble whether you get a decent copy or end up with a lemon.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you !

All the very best.

Knorp

Bart: the 16-50 is looking more and more like the ideal travel camera...good sharp images, snappy color...not only looks windy, but a bit on the chilly side as compared to the 90+ temps we're getting here...you don't dare walk barefooted on the beach sand!

Roy Benson
Hidiho Roy,

it certainly is a fine lens, but frankly I feel the 18-135 has the edge in terms of versatility.
No problemo here regarding high temps: we're lucky when hitting 70 ... :D

All the best.

Knorp

The heather is in full bloom now giving the landscape that beautiful purple hue.
Too bad the sky was hopeless.

DavidL

The heather is in full bloom now giving the landscape that beautiful purple hue.
Too bad the sky was hopeless.
I was luckier with the sky. I was looking for lowland heath for a panorama for a friend. When I saw your shot I wondered if it was the same location, Further inspection showed it wasn't.
This wasn't one we used but it reminded me of your shot. Not with 16-50 but 40mm ltd, stitched.
Best wishes
David

Knorp

I was luckier with the sky. I was looking for lowland heath for a panorama for a friend. When I saw your shot I wondered if it was the same location, Further inspection showed it wasn't.
This wasn't one we used but it reminded me of your shot. Not with 16-50 but 40mm ltd, stitched.
Best wishes
David
Hi David,

and a fine stitch it is and your sky is certainly much better.
As for panos: wouldn't it be wonderful if we could get around that 1200 pix limitation ?
Btw - my shot is from the 'Posbank/Veluwe' near Arnhem.

Kind regards.

DavidL

Hi David,

and a fine stitch it is and your sky is certainly much better.
As for panos: wouldn't it be wonderful if we could get around that 1200 pix limitation ?
Btw - my shot is from the 'Posbank/Veluwe' near Arnhem.

Kind regards.
I shot the panoramasin portrait format top get as much out of the sensor as I could. I shot the one above as a possability for Alamy, while I was waiting for friend to find locations. Won't use 3 shots though.

Location is interesting and I will forward link to my Zoology friend. Will also google earth it.

Thanks
David