The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SDM and focus lag

woodyspedden

Just wanted to post that today I was out shooting my grandson's soccer games.

I needed to use the 200mm FL because of where we had to stand and found that I would hit the shutter release button halfway, the center focus spot would light immediately but there was very significant focus lag as the lens tried to achieve focus.

So I tried the 55 SDM and while not as severe as the 200, still way worse than say the 43mm or 77mm primes.

Just a word to the wise to check this out before plunking down some significant bucks.

Woody

Knorp

Just wanted to post that today I was out shooting my grandson's soccer games.

I needed to use the 200mm FL because of where we had to stand and found that I would hit the shutter release button halfway, the center focus spot would light immediately but there was very significant focus lag as the lens tried to achieve focus.

So I tried the 55 SDM and while not as severe as the 200, still way worse than say the 43mm or 77mm primes.

Just a word to the wise to check this out before plunking down some significant bucks.

Woody
Woody, I'm sorry to hear about the focus lag.
Just too late, though - I had my own 'oops' moment yesterday ... :eek:

Apart from sports and perhaps candids I don't see it as too much a handicap.
Oh well, time will tell.

Kind regards.

woodyspedden

Woody, I'm sorry to hear about the focus lag.
Just too late, though - I had my own 'oops' moment yesterday ... :eek:

Apart from sports and perhaps candids I don't see it as too much a handicap.
Oh well, time will tell.

Kind regards.
I don't disagree at all. I will be constantly using the 200 SDM for many types of shots as the IQ is just great.

My only point, and the warning to others, is that IMHO the 200 SDM is just not suitable for sports! I used it for an entire morning shooting my grandson's soccer games. There were so many missed shots due to focus error that I will never attempt to use it in that mode again. I used the 77 FA as well and then simply cropped (these prints are never going to be printed large anyway) and had really good success. The 77 FA is a phenomenal lens and the focus is totally fast.

Woody