The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

K5 battery-grip: anyone using this ?

Knorp

Hi there,

wondering if the optional battery-grip (D-BG4) for the K5 will improve handling with heavier lenses.
I'm not going putting in extra batteries because of the additional weight, just using the plain (empty) grip.
And I'm definitely not interested in the original Pentax grip as that cost an arm and a leg.
There are more realistic prized replacement products on the market :eek:

So anyone using a battery-grip and what is your verdict ?

Thanks and kind regards.

m3photo

Re: Battery-grip

... wondering if the optional battery-grip (D-BG4) for the K5 will improve handling with heavier lenses.

So anyone using a battery-grip and what is your verdict ?
I'm still with my K20D and with the 50-135 zoom I always have the battery grip attached (with the battery; it's not that heavy and it's good to have it there). The whole thing balances out much better.

ecsh

I have it and am very pleased with the way i can now hold the camera. Worthwhile investment. Still not that heavy. I choose the Pentax one as it has some seals in it for WR.
Joe

DavidL

No idea myself, but I know that Davidl was pleased with it
Yes I like it. It only takes 6 batteries so not too heavy. I always have grips as it means I can shoot on AA's. Hangover from travelling abroad shooting conservation/wildlife. not many places you can't get AA's or recharge what you have with you. I certainly think it helps with bigger/longer lenses
I think it's as good maybe better than the Nikon one for the D300 and 700.
One possible negative is that it doesn't hold power as long, but that's to be expected, 6 verses 8 batteries.
David

Last edited:

Knorp

Thanks guys for your replies and feedback.
I'll give it some more thought before taking the plunge.
That is going El Cheapo or getting the real thing ... :rolleyes:

All the very best.

DavidL

Something I forgot to mention
The battery grip, with the D-L190 option as a place to store a sd card. Which is a nice touch. It also weighs half as much as 6 eneloops in the other option.
I got mine second hand but it looked unused to me.
David

Last edited:

Knorp

Something I forgot to mention
The battery grip, with the D-L190 option as a place to store a sd card. Which is a nice touch. It also weighs half as much as 6 eneloops in the other option.
I got mine second hand but it looked unused to me.
David
That's a nifty feature, David ! Thanks for bringing that forth.
I've ordered a Pentax BG in the meanwhile, so that's just as well ;)

All the very best.