The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Examining K-5 DR thread...

raist3d

I must say I am still a bit surprised how much DR this photographic tool has. As a real life valid example I wanted to show from a shot I did last weekend:

That shot was a bit heavy back lit. You can see below the original shot after the crop I did on the left square, and on purpose pushing it more than I needed to show the incredible shadow range this camera has:

And here's a 100% crop. If you notice the shadows have been pushed up by 4.5 stops in Aperture!

You just see a hint of noise. I must say that is quite remarkable.

PS: If you are wondering about the sharpness two things to keep in mind:

#1. I was manually focusing, relatively wide open (F4 for APS-C). The focus is slightly behind her. It still prints good.

#2. I have not applied any sharpening whatsoever to these crops, wanted to show specifically the DR.

#3. Remember that more DR is not always good. Sometimes you want to blow something out to dark or white for composition. You can work with a camera with less DR more to that effect. There's still no excuse for bad photos :)

raist3d

One more note: the shot as used as a tiny bit of fill and exposure at +0.80 EV, in LightRoom 3.xx (yes, I was testing a LightRoom trial when I exported the shot, but showing in Aperture the DR).

- Raist

jonoslack

HI Ricardo
The DR keeps surprising me as well (as do those legs) - excellent and really useful.

all the best

raist3d

I keep reading about the legs… just a question, you know she's not a woman, right? Just wondering for a second… (not that you can't still find the legs surprising :) ).

- Raist

jonoslack

I keep reading about the legs… just a question, you know she's not a woman, right? Just wondering for a second… (not that you can't still find the legs surprising :) ).

- Raist
Hi Ricardo - of course I do realise - they don't quite look like girls legs, but they are still remarkable!

I'd love to come to SF for the gay pride do, but I guess if I really cared I'd be going to Amsterdam where they know how to do these things too.

So - I've just got rid of my X100, should I use the proceeds on the two DA lenses (21 and 70?)

all the best

raist3d

Lol ok just wondering. I had a roommate once that found a woman very hot and argued with me on it and then she spoke. Not quite a feminine voice Lol but I wish o had a camera back then to photograph his reaction ;-)

Well if you are going to want to carry light and do street work I would say those two lenses are pretty awesome. You have to ask yourself if that's you.

To me this was/ is one of the reasons to consider the k-5 but that's just my needs & me.

Last edited: