The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My DA*55 is here!!

Armanius

After the bad experience with the DA15 and DA18-135, I finally satisfied my LBA by getting the DA55. Did a couple of quick tests on a piece of paper under natural lighting to test the AF, and it seems to be fairly accurate.

The lens is pretty well built. Not as nice looking as a Ltd or the FA100WR, but very very solid. It's slightly smaller than the kit 18-55 lens, but noticeably larger than the FA35/2. The DA*55 comes with a lens pouch and a big hood.

First impression is that at F1.4, the image is soft everywhere. Stop it down to F2, and it's sharp.

For a SDM lens, the AF is pretty slow. My FA35/2 definitely AF's faster than the DA*55. It's also not as quiet as the SDM in the 18-135.

I'll take some real photos over the weekend and let y'all know my further thoughts on the DA*55. Will it be a :thumbup: or :thumbdown: or :thumbs:?

Knorp

After the bad experience with the DA15 and DA18-135, I finally satisfied my LBA by getting the DA55. Did a couple of quick tests on a piece of paper under natural lighting to test the AF, and it seems to be fairly accurate.

The lens is pretty well built. Not as nice looking as a Ltd or the FA100WR, but very very solid. It's slightly smaller than the kit 18-55 lens, but noticeably larger than the FA35/2. The DA*55 comes with a lens pouch and a big hood.

First impression is that at F1.4, the image is soft everywhere. Stop it down to F2, and it's sharp.

For a SDM lens, the AF is pretty slow. My FA35/2 definitely AF's faster than the DA*55. It's also not as quiet as the SDM in the 18-135.

I'll take some real photos over the weekend and let y'all know my further thoughts on the DA*55. Will it be a :thumbup: or :thumbdown: or :thumbs:?
Congrats and I''ll keep my fingers crossed for you that it is no lemon.

Anyway, happy shooting !

Armanius

Thanks Bart!

I applied +10 on the micro adjustment in the K-5, and the images at F1.4 seem to be much sharper now.

Knorp

Thanks Bart!

I applied +10 on the micro adjustment in the K-5, and the images at F1.4 seem to be much sharper now.
Testing fast lenses you have to deal with shallow DOF which could be misleading.
I strongly suggest that you take your time and work meticulous while testing.
Really +10 can't be right IMO, if F/2 is reasonable sharp and F/1.4 soft without any correction applied, how is F/2 now with a +10 correction ?
Also MF is worth trying.

Kind regards.

Armanius

Spent Saturday with the K5 + DA55 and the X100. Will post some photos later tonight after I convert the RAW files. :)