The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

K5: future firmware improvement(s)

Knorp

Since a few weeks I'm playing with my K5 and being rather new to dSLR cameras I still don't master it fully.
In particular all kinds of menu settings still hold a question mark to me :eek:

Using Auto ISO in Av mode I frequently noticed that the shutter speeds got a little to slow for comfort. I mean 1/25 seems RF territory to me.

So here it is: K5-FFI-001: Auto ISO - slowest shutter speed selectable (by hand or lens dependable)

Anyone out there having firmware wishes and /or improvement suggestions ?
Let's hear it !
:)

All the very best.

emr

Well, I think they should definitely give more functions that could be assigned to the RAW/FX button. The ones possible today are mostly irrelevant to me. I'd like for example the switch between AFS and AFC.

m3photo

Re: K5: Advantages

Using Auto ISO in Av mode I frequently noticed that the shutter speeds got a little to slow for comfort. I mean 1/25 seems RF territory to me.
Pentax was the first manufacturer to realize that digital cameras have several films of different speeds on board hence implementing the TAv option. Thereafter the rest followed suit with a watered down Auto ISO option (Sv in Pentax - which is still better) embedded in their menus.
This is the reason I use these cameras in preference to any others in aerial work where I need both 1/1000 and f/8 (for example) - the camera takes care of the ISO which I can still limit to between 200 and 1600 for instance.
In your case setting TAv to, say 1/125 and f/11 (which can even be configured to the USER setting for immediate dialled access), is far easier than redoing menus, believe me.

m3photo

Re: Switches and Menus

Well, I think they should definitely give more functions that could be assigned to the RAW/FX button. The ones possible today are mostly irrelevant to me. I'd like for example the switch between AFS and AFC.
Yes, they should.
Yes, they are.
However, firmware application to allow the user to reconfigure switches while good, is ridiculous when there is already a switch that specifically does the task.

emr

However, firmware application to allow the user to reconfigure switches while good, is ridiculous when there is already a switch that specifically does the task.
While in principle I agree with you, I don't think it would be that silly to be able assign the AF mode change (in addition to other functionalities) to a button you can easily press with one finger instead of using the rotating switch which I find clumsier.

While in principle I agree with you, I don't think it would be that silly to be able assign the AF mode change (in addition to other functionalities) to a button you can easily press with one finger instead of using the rotating switch which I find clumsier.
This is true as long as the possibility to assign a particular function to that button is unlimited.
If this is not the case, I think that priority should be given to functions for which a dedicated switch does not exist and are therefor accessible from inside the menu only.
Cheers,

Armanius

More user defined function buttons would be awesome. That's one of the things I appreciate about the GH2's controls. Although I like all the dials on the K-5 better. Yeah, I'm a sucker for dials!

MalcolmP

Anyone out there having firmware wishes and /or improvement suggestions ?
Let's hear it !
:)

All the very best.[/QUOTE]
Firmware-auto focus.My only real niggle.The faster and more accurate the better,and I feel that there is still room for improvement.

Improvements-see above:)the k5 is a big improvement on the k20d (my previous body)imho,and why not try and match canikon in this area,the k5,imho has done a great job of catching up elsewhere(high iso for example).
I'm sure that pentax will push on and crack it:)
The TaV auto mode is just one step closer to being adopted by everyone else.Heading down the iso'less sensor road I've read about maybe?
Regards
Malcolm