The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which Prime Lens?

gmack

I've decided that the only way I will be able to make a judgement regarding Pentax's suitability for me is to buy the K-5 and a single prime and give it a try. Many here get great results, even with lenses that Photozone doesn't regard very highly. It seems there is a skill level with the camera and in PP that many are able to exploit.

I'd like to try a limited prime. The only interest I have in Pentax is in regard to their limited primes. It seems consensus that the 15mm is one to shy away from, but that leaves quite a few others.

Any advice or recommendations?

Thanks

Godfrey

Start with the most versatile: SMC Pentax FA43mm f/1.9 Limited. It's a "long normal" on the DSLR format and could be all you ever need.

emr

One prime only - a DA 35mm f/2.8 limited macro? I don't personally have it, but it's close to a normal on APS-C, is fairly versatile and most users find it a great lens…

scho

I've decided that the only way I will be able to make a judgement regarding Pentax's suitability for me is to buy the K-5 and a single prime and give it a try. Many here get great results, even with lenses that Photozone doesn't regard very highly. It seems there is a skill level with the camera and in PP that many are able to exploit.

I'd like to try a limited prime. The only interest I have in Pentax is in regard to their limited primes. It seems consensus that the 15mm is one to shy away from, but that leaves quite a few others.

Any advice or recommendations?

Thanks
I don't concur with this concensus that the 15mm is so bad. I used it extensively on a trip to Puerto Rico and it performed quite well for me. I might just have an exceptional copy. Some images taken with the 15 on pages 9 & 10 of my pbase site.

Rich M

I have the 43/1.9 and it is sublime.....both on the Pentax and on a m4/3 body.

I want to add the FA77 to the discussion......I had the 70Ltd to compare it to and it had a little more "grace" (the 70Ltd is still a fine lens also).

R

Godfrey

I have the 43/1.9 and it is sublime.....both on the Pentax and on a m4/3 body.

I want to add the FA77 to the discussion......I had the 70Ltd to compare it to and it had a little more "grace" (the 70Ltd is still a fine lens also).
oh the FA77 is right there too, but it's a little long for a "one lens all the time" kit, for me anyway. I'd do the 43, then 21, then 77. I had the 14 and it was great, but is more a specialty use lens for me. Likewise a 100.. A little long on the format for me.

ChrisN

All the Limited series lenses are much better than average. What field-of-view are you most comfortable with? For a slightly wide normal view the 31 LTD is hard to beat. Unfortunately it's the heaviest of the bunch. I love the 21 for it's compact size and true wide (not super wide) perspective.

benroy

Subscriber Member
I agree...the little pancake 40 is just as good as any of the aforementioned ...greatly underrated (because of its cost/size?)...and holds its own with the "overrated" 43. The 40 pancake and K-5 makes (IMO) the ideal street combination...you can shoot one-handed (quickly and unobtrusively) all day without tiring or losing sharpness.

Roy Benson

VladimirYo

I agree...the little pancake 40 is just as good as any of the aforementioned ...greatly underrated (because of its cost/size?)...and holds its own with the "overrated" 43. The 40 pancake and K-5 makes (IMO) the ideal street combination...you can shoot one-handed (quickly and unobtrusively) all day without tiring or losing sharpness.

Roy Benson
+1

Godfrey

I had the 40 too. It was a fine performer, but I never cared for the way it felt in use: too thin, the camera didn't feel balanced, the focus ring too hard to work.

benroy

Subscriber Member
Interesting, Godfrey...why did you have to use manual focus...AF is great on this little guy!

Roy Benson

Godfrey

Interesting, Godfrey...why did you have to use manual focus...AF is great on this little guy!
Because no AF system is perfect.

I don't understand you, Roy. In one thread you disparage the Pentax 21mm as not performing on par with the manual focus only Zeiss lenses, yet here the Pentax 40mm's AF seems to be good enough to satisfy you..?

benroy

Subscriber Member
Godfrey: sometimes my tongue gets caught in my eye teeth and I can't see what I'm saying.(My wife, of exceeding great patience and understanding, also has this problem with me). I was trying to discuss the images produced by the various lenses...not the benefits or shortcomings of AF. All I was asking was why it would be necessary to use manual focus on the pancake lens...is all.

Roy Benson

BTW: perhaps we should continue this discussion via PM...we're getting away from the theme of the thread, and toward you vs me.

Godfrey

Godfrey: sometimes my tongue gets caught in my eye teeth and I can't see what I'm saying.(My wife, of exceeding great patience and understanding, also has this problem with me). I was trying to discuss the images produced by the various lenses...not the benefits or shortcomings of AF. All I was asking was why it would be necessary to use manual focus on the pancake lens...is all.

Roy Benson

BTW: perhaps we should continue this discussion via PM...we're getting away from the theme of the thread, and toward you vs me.
You asked the specific question of why I needed to focus manually. My answer is that no AF system is perfect, there are times when I need to focus manually to obtain the critical focus I need for my photographs. This has nothing to do with you and me.

I just don't understand how AF only with the DA 40 is somehow fine but with the DA21, which is an even better performer than the DA40, the lens performance simply isn't good enough to not need to spend double the price for an all manual focus Zeiss lens. ... This is very perplexing to me. If you want to discuss that off-line, be my guest.