The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

31mm at 1.8 and 2.8 dull?

C

chals

I have just bought a 31mm ltd. 8 like the bokeh the lens produses and it seems pretty sharp in the corners too, much sharper than 18-135 at f8 (31 at 5.6). But, at 1.8 it seems very dull compared to itself at 2.8. And the white part in a contrasty area leaks into the darker part. Can any of you tell me if this picture looks normal for this lens or not? I expected the lens to be better at 2.8, but not by this much. The picture is a crop of a house about 15-20 meters away and is at 200% http://chals.zenfolio.com/p296791352/h133dcd4

Last edited:

Rich M

I think that this shot would be typical of a lens shot wide open....especially shooting a landscape. Many great lens shot at maximum aperture have adjectives like gauzy.....diaphanous.....or dreamy attached to them.

Know it....and use it artistically in your shots. If you are looking for "sharp".....stop it down a bit....the K-5 can certainly handle the higher ISO....plus you shot it (I am sure just to experiment) at 1/2000. You could slow that down a bit. Also, the FA31 was designed for a FF camera.....so it would not be designed specifically for the APS-C sensor on the K-5.

My advice is to enjoy it....shoot it plenty and wring every nuance that the lens is capable of out of it.

Just my thoughts.....and oh, welcome to the forum.

Regards.....R

C

chals

can someone who know this lense make som comments? And if this is normal, how are other fast lenses in comparison.

ecsh

I own the lens as well, but, quite frankly i do not care what my pics look like at 200%. I look at them as you would hanging on a wall, and am happy with what this lens delivers.
Joe

C

chals

But this is not your lens, it is my copy. I don't care about how my pics look like at 200% either, exept for theese two pictures. It is just a necessary illustration to go along with the question. I am just curious if this expensive lens shows up normal behavior or not.