The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

(K-5) Portrait at "Rebel" bar...

raist3d

Took this photograph today after asking if it was ok to take photos at a new bar that is close to where I live by.

I must say that the K-5 Autofocus is getting on my nerves sometimes. You really have to get whatever it is you want to focus on fairly big on the view finder because the sensor area seems too big. It doesn't quite inspire me with confidence at times, though trying other portraits later keeping in mind that sensor area size it did fine for the most part.

I tried the contrast autofocus and while that works great, it did hunt with my DA 70 quite a bit and I lost another portrait (out of focus) and the opportunity went on. I think this underscores that I need to learn manual focusing well with this camera. Certainly I love the tonal range/DR of it.

- Raist

Last edited:

rparmar

Raist, the image isn't showing for me.

I agree with your AF comments. Especially when doing a portrait there is almost no way the AF will get the eyes sharp. Manual focus is a must. (I use a K20D but the principle is the same.)

JMaher

I must be the exception here. I am not having problems with portraits and autofocus. I am using multiple focus points and shifting those instead of focus and recompose and I think that makes a great deal of difference.

I do agree that a smaller autofocus spot would be great.

Jim

raist3d

Raist, the image isn't showing for me.

I agree with your AF comments. Especially when doing a portrait there is almost no way the AF will get the eyes sharp. Manual focus is a must. (I use a K20D but the principle is the same.)
Not sure why the link broke, I edited with new link, please let me know if it's showing now.

- Raist

raist3d

I must be the exception here. I am not having problems with portraits and autofocus. I am using multiple focus points and shifting those instead of focus and recompose and I think that makes a great deal of difference.

I do agree that a smaller autofocus spot would be great.

Jim
Doesn't have to do with shifting. I don't believe that a simple move to the face, focus with center point and just move a tiny bit should make a difference in this case. The AF points are big, and in doing that, a simple portrait like this just won't focus on the eye.

- Raist

vincechu

Raist I've experienced what you mentioned many times, I find doing what Jim says really does help or stopping down just a little bit. I guess AF is the only niggle i have with the k5, ricoh/pentax hope you're reading this and other posts ;-)

m3photo

+1. Drivin' me nuts! If I want to focus manually I take my D700 and Nikkor Ais primes.
I hate to say it like this Pentax: Nice camera, but ...

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Pardon the intrusion from a non-K5 owner but... does the K5 have a button that can be programmed to activate the autofocus and remove the function from the shutter release button? My Nikon has that and it's the first mod I made to the controls. Linking the shutter release, metering, and focus to the shutter release button is (for me) a recipe for disaster. By activating the the AF-lock button to focus I can then recompose with confidence that a little slip of the finger on the shutter release isn't going to change the point of focus. Just an idea.

Best,
Tim

Yes Tim, it is possible to remove the AF activation from the Shutter Release Button and activate the AF from a dedicated buttn only.

m3photo

Re: Way to Go

Yes Tim, it is possible to remove the AF activation from the Shutter Release Button and activate the AF from a dedicated buttn only.
Yep, this is the way to go. many thanks. Finally cured that one.
Actually this means there's no need to fiddle with the left hand switch for AF to Manual Focus any more. Up to your face, it's on manual focus - want AF? Press the now pre-configured AF button and away you go.
Mind you, if Pentax asked Panasonic how they do focus/re-compose/shoot on a simple G1, I'd be even happier ... :p