The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone excited about the Q?

Mikec

I posted in the small sensor forum but it seems like not many people are excited about the Q.

If manual focus is implemented well, it will work very well for me.

Small form factor, small sensor for large DOF, OVF, zone focus, it can be a very fast street shooting setup (assuming shutter lag is minimal).

Your thoughts?

rparmar

I am not interested in tiny sensors. Way over-priced for what it is. The R&D effort could have been much better spent on new lenses and improvements to the rest of the Pentax line. On my blog I provide a longer analysis.

Godfrey

It's of no interest to me, but I suspect it will find a niche enthusiast market of its own, much like the Pentax Auto 110 SLR did.

I doubt that many GetDPI photographers are interested in this particular niche, it seems in the wrong direction for this particular forum's audience, but you never know.

The sensor is too small and can't compete. People who value convenience (tiny, easy to carry camera) will just use their Smartphones.

Karlo

Not really, IF it had a larger sensor (maybe the K7's ) I'd jump on it instead of looking back and forth to nex, ricoh and fuji...

iiiNelson

+3 no interest at all.

I already tested the waters of a new mirrorless design with the Sony NEX and while the sensor is superior in many ways to the Micro 4/3 cameras the lens selection is much more complete in the 4/3 camp. Honestly that's the way I'd recommend going if starting from scratch. I will probably IR convert my NEX (if it's suitable for that) and buy a GH2 for an updated Micro 4/3 body above my G1.

M9 will continue as the primary but there are times I don't want $15,000+ worth of gear on my person.

DavidL

I'll take it into double figures with another no with the reasons stated above.
I just want/wanted a mirrorless body for my limited's. I keep saying that so sorry if it's becoming repetitious.
I guess they hope mass market might adopt it but for a small sensor I'm not sure it will compete with those with a built in zoom and fit easier in the pocket.
David

Pat Donnelly

Very interested!

This is another format for my lenses! It may be small but that is likely ok as the lenses will make it more ergonomic. It is the second of this format as the kenko is the first and the Nikon likely to be the third.

It has high gimmick value so there will be a big loss on ownership. I will like the other commenters, contain my excitement until I can afford a second hand body and maybe an AF lens.

Maunaul lenses are a definite as I am very invested in m4/3 already. I also have full 135 lenses for use too and Med Format also! So with say a 58 F2, I can use it on a FF , an APS-C, for 87-95mm, m4/3 for 116mm and Q for c.300mm! All from one lens!

As you can see, I am firmly of the 'lens is more important than box' school! Add another, smaller lens and who needs a slow zoom? If I want a more compact outfit, for rambling etc I ditch the FF and APS-c and take c mount lenses.

An entirely different format for manual lenses and we are the only ones excited! Says a lot, huh?

thrice

Pat, I understand your rationale, but the problem is a 58/2 is NOT going to be as sharp at 5x magnification as a 300mm at 1x magnification, not by a LOOOOOOOOONG shot. Also, 50/2 with a 5x crop is like 300/11.

I'm not excited about the Q because cameras are small enough already, and the 'look' of smaller formats tends to get progressively worse even if apparent noise doesn't increase and 1:1 sharpness doesn't visibly decrease.

I'm sure in the right hands it will still take good pictures, after all, the content is what we're after. However, it will not find a home in my landscape, architecture or portraiture kit.

etrigan63

Dan,
cropped sensors don't alter the speed of a lens. Sure the smaller the sensor, the greater the depth of field, but it doesn't alter the light gathering power of a lens. A Nikkor 200mm f/2 has an EFL of 300mm on a D300s, but the aperture remains f/2. Now teleconverters are another story, but that is not what is happening here.

BTW, my wife is greatly interested in this and I have been pinging Pentax USA to send me one for review.

cjlacz

I wasn't interested, but I'm not sure now. I saw some samples at Bic Camera today that looked like they'll match the build quality of the final quality. They seem really well built and very solid. They are just SO small. m4/3s really doesn't fit in the pocket with most lenses, but these really would. The idea of really deep DOF with the 8mm lens is attractive. The rumors are that the sensor is pretty decent, but I'll have to see. I'll wait for some other comments, but I'm tempted to pick one up.