The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax Q downloadable RAWS!

raist3d

Thoughts:

- The sensor that Sony made is no less of an engineering miracle considering its size and what I see it's doing

- DR seems to be close if not a match for the older 4/3rds/micro four thirds sensor used around. If the Dxo of that 4/3rds sensor ranks at about 10.5, I would expect the Q sensor to fall between 10.2 and 10.7

- JPEG engine of Pentax is nice in keeping tones/colors but nukes detail
Still remarkable the JPEG engine deals with high ISO

- Tonal range/DR are surprisingly decent but

- The camera seems to lack detail. Could be the lens, could be the sensor with those little micro mirrors/photosensels or the interaction of both

- Disappointed that the prime seems to have so much barrel distortion. At this price I was expecting something better than that

- CA's seem to be well managed relatively speaking

- Surprised that the sensor output has no visible banding even at high ISO

- Surprised the sensor can still do high ISO with some detail/colors

- Photoblog high ISO test where they go from lowest iso all the way to ISO 6400 to me is invalid - look at the shutter speeds. ISO 6400 at shutter speeds of 1/2000sec is hardly low light. They should have picked a situation of ISO 6400 and a shutter of 1/30 at F2.8.

So the high ISO performance is probably worse, as good light situations/fast shutter speeds always benefit the sensor, so I expect the performance to be worse than those 3200/6400.

- If I had to estimate the high ISO improvement over an LX5 I would say maybe from none to 2/3rds of a stop. That it can do that being so small is quite remarkable but…

At the end of the day- does it make sense, price and all?

Being so small I think that means something as far as someone considering a camera to carry around in their pocket, but I can't help but think this camera will be hammered for the price it sits at. This camera to me should be more in the $550 - $600 USD MSRP mark.

- Raist