The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lots of Pentax Q shots now on Flickr….

raist3d

I must say, I am shocked how well the Sony sensor does. It's like the same miracle they pulled on the K-5 class, they pulled in the super ultra compact size class.

Pretty surprising. If I had no compact and I was shooting medium light to daylight, I would consider it. Looks like for low light you can do some things but it's more hard pressed. And Pentax's jpeg processing seems to have improved even though it loses detail but keeps color and tone.

I think the best way to see the Q is to view it as a "toy cam" that can produce some rather compelling tones, out of camera, don't bother with RAW and print no bigger than 8''x10''.

- Raist

ecsh

I must say, I am shocked how well the Sony sensor does. It's like the same miracle they pulled on the K-5 class, they pulled in the super ultra compact size class.

Pretty surprising. If I had no compact and I was shooting medium light to daylight, I would consider it. Looks like for low light you can do some things but it's more hard pressed. And Pentax's jpeg processing seems to have improved even though it loses detail but keeps color and tone.

I think the best way to see the Q is to view it as a "toy cam" that can produce some rather compelling tones, out of camera, don't bother with RAW and print no bigger than 8''x10''.

- Raist
You are correct, except one thing, price. At this price, i can get a couple of very nice, capable compact cameras.

raist3d

Certainly, though I think the differentiators for the Q are the size (still smaller), ergonomics (the way the buttons/dials are), the full DSLR style controls, the accessibility to experiment with filters. Also the build.

- Raist