The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax Q amazing looking RAW ISO 400/800 shots

raist3d

Here's two ISO 800 RAW shots from that website. Again they are resized down but still...

I certainly didn't expect this camera to do this.

- Raist

raist3d

Ok I need to slow down here a little bit. I just took some ISO 800 shots with my LX5 and seems like the LX5 can do about this too. Ill be checking. What the Q seems to be doing better though from the other shots on that web log is perhaps better more rich tones overall.

- Raist

raist3d

Spend some time looking at the Flickr Q Group.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/pentax-q/

At this pont there are numerous full-sized photos. They all look pretty noisy to me.
I did. Not all look that noisy and remember those on Flickr are JPEGS. At least the overall tone is preserved but check stuff like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eries/6098303263/sizes/l/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eries/6099765016/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bastianlende/6097206471/in/photostream

All of those are JPEGS.

- Raist

fotografz

Guys, any MFD will do well in decent light @ ISO 800 ... even 1,600, if carefully exposed.

When the light gets lower, and shadows dominate with very little tonal separation in the dark to lower middle tones, and/or you are dealing with mixed temp sources, is where the rubber meets the road in terms of ISO noise performance.

Guy Mancusio has pointed this out numerous times in MFD camera reviews.

It doesn't negate the usefulness of higher ISOs in decent light ... it is a way to keep the shutter speed up for more active subjects and/or hand-holding longer lenses.

-Marc

raist3d

Guys, any MFD will do well in decent light @ ISO 800 ... even 1,600, if carefully exposed.

When the light gets lower, and shadows dominate with very little tonal separation in the dark to lower middle tones, and/or you are dealing with mixed temp sources, is where the rubber meets the road in terms of ISO noise performance.

Guy Mancusio has pointed this out numerous times in MFD camera reviews.

It doesn't negate the usefulness of higher ISOs in decent light ... it is a way to keep the shutter speed up for more active subjects and/or hand-holding longer lenses.

-Marc
I don't know what MFD means, but I don't think that these shots are super bright light either. I realize that as light goes down is where the real test is, but considering the sensor size of this camera I think it's doing rather well.

I don't think "any" P&S does this at ISO 800 like what I am seeing.

- Raist

PS: No idea who Guy Mancusio is, but if you have a link where he points this out I would like to see it. I mean I am not disagreeing with what you said per se, I just don't buy these shots in particular are all bright light where it's where I normally see smaller sensors perform well at higher iso.

fotografz

I don't know what MFD means, but I don't think that these shots are super bright light either. I realize that as light goes down is where the real test is, but considering the sensor size of this camera I think it's doing rather well.

I don't think "any" P&S does this at ISO 800 like what I am seeing.

- Raist

PS: No idea who Guy Mancusio is, but if you have a link where he points this out I would like to see it. I mean I am not disagreeing with what you said per se, I just don't buy these shots in particular are all bright light where it's where I normally see smaller sensors perform well at higher iso.
My error. Sorry.

(Guy Mancuso co-owns this site with Jack Flesher).