The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2 TTL work with 645D

D&A

Does anyone know if this flash will work with the 645D?

Thanks
Dan
Hi Dan,

A while ago I quickly tested out this Metz flash (on the 645D) with some quick and dirty test shots. I of course used the one specific for Pentax TTL. Exposures were good but the focal length readouts on the rear LCD of the flash were way off when one takes into acc't the 645D crop factor. The current Pentax equivenlent flash did better in this regard but it too was not exacting in reporting the resulting focal length of the lens used, taking into acc't the approx. 0.8 crop factor. Interestinly where the Pentax flash got it right some of the time (with some lenses), it didn't with others. Of course all lenses used were FA 645 lenses that report their focal length to the camera.

There are many thinks I like with regards to this particular Metz flash, having used this exact same model (except Nikon TTL) with my Nikon D3...but felt with the Pentax flash getting the focal length reported more correctly, it was best to go with that one. I doubt it would make much of a difference (except for exif data) it's primarily just a read-out and exposures should be determined by the TTL itself.

The one advanatage of the Penatx flash is in a 2+ flash set-up...in ease of wireless communication. Just my take.

Dave (D&A)

D&A

You're welcome Dan. Any info you receive from Metz in Germany, would be interesting to know. Please keep us posted. Thanks!

Dave

D&A

Still waiting for a reply from Germany
Thanks Dan. Of course I have no idea what Metz will say but from my brief test, the Metz flash provided exceptionally accurate exposures and most all functions worked as intented. The issue with the rear LCD of the flash often not reflecting either the cropped focal length of the lens mounted onto the 645D (and often not even the actual focal length of the lens without taking the crop factor into consideration) wasn"t an issue. To be fair, the Pentax flash also got the copped factor wrong on it's rear LCD, but often got it closer (or right) compared to the Metz. I think the choice also comes down to features and handling...going with one flash or the other has its advantages and disadvanatges.

Dave (D&A)

Dan Bellyk

Thanks Dave, today I ordered the Metz but still have been waiting for a response which I am supposed to get tomorrow. I was able to get the Metz from a Canadian store for the same price as the stores in the US.

D&A

Thanks for the update Dan. It still will be interesting to hear how Metz responds and also what you opinions are of the flash when used with the 645D.

Dave (D&A)

Dan Bellyk

I received the flash today and it looks nice, is there a setting to fire the flash in optical slave mode as with Nikon it is SU-4 mode? My thought is if I am using the 645D with flash I can use the SB-900 as a backup in SU-4 mode, would like to be able to the same in reverse if I was using my Nikon gear.

Dan

D&A

Hi Dan,

Although I tried and tested both the Metz and Pentax flashes on the 645D prior to picking one of them (the Pentax in my case), I didn't test using one as a slave while using the other as the main flash. I wouldn't see why that wouldn't work but from what I've heard previously from others in general, Metz flashes in most ways do not communicate with other brands and visa versa. In fact, Leica's SF-58 flash (basically used on Leica cameras) and which on the outside appears to be a near clone of your Metz flash, doesn't communicate well (or at all) with a Metz 58 Af-2 flash, even though they both can use some of the same metz accessories. Still firing as a slave would seem simple enough but only actual testing will provide the answer for certain. It definitely would be useful if either flash could be used this way, while being triggered by the other. Please keep us up to date on your findings. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Dan Bellyk

Wow dave this is a great flash, love the extra light on the front. Trying to sell my D3X so I took some shots with the flash, of course some tweaking but it's nice.

Not to advertise or nothing :)
Bounced off the ceiling with main and the small on the front for some extra fill.

D&A

Hi Dan,

I've always loved the Various incarnations of the Metz Af-58 flash...such as the one for Nikon (which I currently use) and the Leica SF-58, especially the smaller fill in flash in front.

The only reason why I went with Pentax's own flash in a multi flash set-up, was two fold. When I briefly tested both flashes with a variety of focal length lenses on the 645D, the Pentax flash got the focal length readout correctly (or at least fairly close) and thought maybe flash output would be more accurate. The other reason is in a wireless multi flash set-up, there was greater chance of communication between the flashes and the 645D body.

I wish I had at least two of the Metz flashes at the time to try with the 645D (whcih I didn't) and in doing so if I found wireless multi flash set-ups were also possible with the 645D, then I would have opted for the Metz. It came down more to this than some of the discrepances of the focal length readout on the flash's LCD.

Let us know if you were able to use one of your flahses as a slave with the set-up you mentioned previously. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Hi Dan,

The Pearstone which I haven't seen before is interesting as it appears to allow TTL off camera flash with all the major brands, if I read the B&H description correctly? I'm surprised there is no issue shorting things out with all the many contacts although if you go to the B&H link you supplied....it appears the Pearstone cord is discontinued and now is linked to a "Vello" cord which only works with Canon and Nikon based TTL flashes (no Pentax!)

Great, good to know the SB 900 can be fired as described. I know using a Pentax branded flash off camera is a pain with a Pentax TTL cord. It requires essentially three seperate Pentax pieces....the main cord which then plugs into a choice of seperate pieces for each end of the cord (since they have a number of choices for the end pieces). I think Metz still makes a all in one piece cord like the Pearstone?Vello. Of course Nikon has it's own dedicated cord.

Dave (D&A)

D&A

I wonder why they shortened the cord on this updated product and why the original 6 foot model was discontinued? Guess there must have been a reason.

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the info...Interesting! I took a look at the link you provided and the product shown only appears to work with Canon, Nikon and Fuji TTL flashes. It no longer mentions Pentax as one of the possible flash systems it works with (as the very original cord did). Did you happen to ask them about this? If true, then it won't work with two Metz or two Pentax TTL flashes communicating with one another.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Dan Bellyk

Hi Dave

Spent some time looking into this and I got this response which is a good one, I will be placing an order and let you know what the quality is like.

Hello Dan,

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

The Vello link below does work with the Pentax.
the website from BH and our packaging has encountered an
oversight in this issue.

You are good to roll.

Vello Photo accessories

D&A

Hi Dan,

Thanks for passing along this info. Good to hear it works with the Pentax TTL flash system too. That's a bit of an oversight on B&H's part. Hope the cord works out well.

Dave (D&A)