The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax DNG files support in CO

The latest release of Capture One (6.3.2) is providing support for the DNG Pentax raw files (in addition to PEF's for cameras which were already supported).
I have not tested it yet but this is what the release note claims.

Dan Bellyk

The latest release of Capture One (6.3.2) is providing support for the DNG Pentax raw files (in addition to PEF's for cameras which were already supported).
I have not tested it yet but this is what the release note claims.
That would be nice, I called and emailed Phase One and was told that they did not support the Pentax 645D because it was direct competition!

I' afraid this will no help you. The support for DNG files has been added only for the cameras for which PEF files were already supported (such as K-5).
This is not the case for Pentax 645D.

Dan Bellyk

I don't think it is too smart on there part, there is a big difference in price between systems and that means affordability but being able to afford there software is in reach.

D

delander

It is a ridiculous policy, do they want to sell Capture One or not? To me it does not matter because I'm becoming more and more comfortable with LR and ACR.

Jeff

Dan Bellyk

I purchased Capture One last year and have been using it a bit with my Nikon D3X but preferred using ViewNX to look at my pictures, now that I purchased the Pentax 645D that is no longer an option, after spending over $400 on the CO I can no longer use it and I have been forced to buy Lightroom 3 for almost another $300. I have been using the trial version and just purchased a copy of Lightroom 3 that should be delivered by Monday.
Hopefully Phase One will change it's thinking in the future but for now I am a little disappointed!

D

delander

You can use Cap One with the Pentax 645D by choosing the generic DNG profile, but the images will need some tweaking. Alternatively choosing one of the Phase 40mp profiles can give you a better starting point.

I'm sure there are those who have purchased a Nikon D3X instead of a Phase camera, and that is supported but the Pentax not? Crazy, but who cares, the latest version of Lightroom is better software anyway.

Jeff