The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photo leaked of K-01

Bugleone

I hope that's NOT it!!....That is just more of the same 'looks like a DSLR but not a DSLR'...

....pentax is going to have to get a bit more modern than that!

Shashin

THAT is the ugliest camera I have ever seen. Marc Newson might be a neat product designer, but not of cameras. There is more to design than trying to be different. It helps to know about what you are designing.

V

Vivek

I will boycott Pentax until they drop this designer. I sincerely hope that they do not screw up the rumored A16 Ricoh M mount like this!

Michiel Schierbeek

I will boycott Pentax until they drop this designer. I sincerely hope that they do not screw up the rumored A16 Ricoh M mount like this!
I hope not either, although this design has slight design references with the Ricoh GXR. It is the material, the silver part and the weel on the chimney that is all wrong. Cheap!

Michiel

Agnius

I would think Ricoh will base A16 mount on A12 design, so I think you are safe there. However, if there is a full frame design in progress, then all bets are off!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Interesting design and much better than the Panasonic G/GH series. They have managed to keep SLR functionality while making a design that doesn't look like something from the 1980s (like more or less all DSLRs on the market today). Important to remember also that this is closer in concept to the Sony SLT cameras, since they've apparently decided to stay with the register distance from the DSLRs. A K-5 (or whatever comes after it) and this one would be an interesting combo.

jonoslack

I'm with Jorgen here - this looks interesting and different - right now it looks odd, but at least it isn't another retro design.
. . . the prospect of Pentax and Ricoh in cahoots really is tantalising (if they can just get the QA sorted on the Pentax lenses).

Godfrey

It's kinda silly looking with the panda coloration. Otherwise, it looks a fine little industrial lump*. I'll wait for the official announcement to hear what the specs are.

* Hasselbalds are fine industrial lumps, and the GXR isn't exactly Vickie Vamp either. But they make nice photos...

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I kind of like it. Looks to me a case of form following function, with emphasis on those big top controls, one of which looks easily controlled by a finger at the front.

Keith

Last edited:

raist3d

I think it's fine. I heard rumors about it before and I thought it was going to be Super Ugly II TurboTM, but as it is, I think it's fine. Considering it will be smaller than a K-5 it may have even a bit of a "sexy appeal" when seen first person.

I remember the first time I saw the Q in the rumor photos and I thought it was like the ugliest thing ever. Seeing it in person- whole different story.

For me the success of this camera will boil to three things:

- AF - how fast
- LCD - how viewable in daylight
- price and price.

A price of say $800-$900 for a camera like this with the superb Sony sensor, seriously, I think it would be great (but maybe I am hallucinating). I also like the "60mm pancake remake" they did. Superbly thing, superbly small and apparently a good lens (yes, from the marketing press release so who knows :) but it's probably good).

- Raist

PS: For all the "ugly" critiques one thing Pentax does *pretty darn well* is photographer centric ergonomics, interface, features. If this is even remotely close to the K-5/Pentax Q, its ergonomics/controls/interface will beat 90% of what's out there easily. For starters, no stupid Canon PowerShotTM dial wheel.

raist3d

raist3d

K-01 has focus peaking.

From the BH Photo press release:

"Focus peaking mode provides fast and accurate manual focusing for critical focus applications.
"

- Raist

raist3d

Some is saying at dpr, the prices will be:

Pentax K-01 body only: $750
Pentax K-01 plus the new 40mm f/2.8 lens: $900
Pentax K-01 two zoom lens kit (18-55mm & 50-200mm): $1000

I think that price is pretty reasonable. Knock off $50-$100 for street I guess. I would think that's pretty good.

- Raist

retow

Some is saying at dpr, the prices will be:

Pentax K-01 body only: $750
Pentax K-01 plus the new 40mm f/2.8 lens: $900
Pentax K-01 two zoom lens kit (18-55mm & 50-200mm): $1000

I think that price is pretty reasonable. Knock off $50-$100 for street I guess. I would think that's pretty good.

- Raist
What a bargain, same price as the Pentax Q had when it was announced:bugeyes: