The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh reshuffle makes Pentax division at the head of all camera development....

Bugleone

Bit of a pity for Richo though!.....Richo have been making some innovative designs, which is more than can be said for pentax. The real clincher is that pentax will take over 'marketing',.......not exactly pentax's most successful area of late....

........So what this will mean is that now BOTH pentax and ricoh will just make what pentax wants to make rather than what customers want (STILL no 24mm f2 announced despite TEN YEARS of dslr making!!).....and will not be 'available' for any dialogue about anything meaningful apart form the latest ko1 abortion.....pentax UK have a "policy" of not bothering with customers emails/letters......

raist3d

Bit of a pity for Richo though!.....Richo have been making some innovative designs, which is more than can be said for pentax. The real clincher is that pentax will take over 'marketing',.......not exactly pentax's most successful area of late....

........So what this will mean is that now BOTH pentax and ricoh will just make what pentax wants to make rather than what customers want (STILL no 24mm f2 announced despite TEN YEARS of dslr making!!).....and will not be 'available' for any dialogue about anything meaningful apart form the latest ko1 abortion.....pentax UK have a "policy" of not bothering with customers emails/letters......

Not really- keep in mind a lot of the recent Pentax behavior was hands tied behind their back by Hoya. Hoya wasn't interested in really growing the camera aspect of Pentax, but Ricoh is. You many not like the K-01 but some people do. Well see how it does. USD $750 for a K-5 class image quality is something.

I think it's only fair to see what happens over the next 2 years.

- Raist

Bugleone

....Well IS 750 USD particularly good?......that will 'translate' into £700+ here in the UK despite normal rate of exchange,...and for that one can buy a Sony NEX models with the same 16 mil sensor and much better facility than the pentax abortion, being smaller, lighter, cheaper, and more adaptable with v/f option etc.

raist3d

....Well IS 750 USD particularly good?......that will 'translate' into £700+ here in the UK despite normal rate of exchange,...and for that one can buy a Sony NEX models with the same 16 mil sensor and much better facility than the pentax abortion, being smaller, lighter, cheaper, and more adaptable with v/f option etc.
I dunno. The Sony lenses aren't very good. At least that's one thing the K-01 nailed down well. No idea what that will translate into the UK, but it's pretty obvious you don't like the camera, but some people do. We'll see how it does in the market.

- Raist

Bugleone

"the sony lenses aren't very good"......Well sony lenses are excellent performers, for example the basic 'kit lens' 18 - 55mm is every bit as good as the pentax equivalent (despite being only two thirds the size)...I have used both extensively.

Also, Sony announced it's moderate wide (Zeiss 24mm f1.8)within months of NEX launch. Pentax STILL has no moderate wide f2 despite having made DSLR's for TEN YEARS!!.....AND, one can use just about ANY lens on the NEX models due to the very slim register and inexpensive adaptors from ebay.

The ko1 is locked into it's large lens register so not much future for adaptors and other lens makes or 'legacy' glass etc,.....plus apparently being 'styled' rather than designed, so disapointing really.......If the 'designer' was as good as made out surely a detachable 'K' mount (on a slim body) could have been encompassed (?) ...and then we might all be getting excited now!

I have in the past been an enthusastic pentax owner (one film system and one digital) but pentax seems determined to not listen to it's customers,...if only it would! Pentax has been a good company in the past and I would go back to it IF there was some innovation AND some attentiion and dialogue with customers.

Rich M

"the sony lenses aren't very good"......Well sony lenses are excellent performers, for example the basic 'kit lens' 18 - 55mm is every bit as good as the pentax equivalent (despite being only two thirds the size)...I have used both extensively.

Also, Sony announced it's moderate wide (Zeiss 24mm f1.8)within months of NEX launch. Pentax STILL has no moderate wide f2 despite having made DSLR's for TEN YEARS!!.....AND, one can use just about ANY lens on the NEX models due to the very slim register and inexpensive adaptors from ebay.

The ko1 is locked into it's large lens register so not much future for adaptors and other lens makes or 'legacy' glass etc,.....plus apparently being 'styled' rather than designed, so disapointing really.......If the 'designer' was as good as made out surely a detachable 'K' mount (on a slim body) could have been encompassed (?) ...and then we might all be getting excited now!

I have in the past been an enthusastic pentax owner (one film system and one digital) but pentax seems determined to not listen to it's customers,...if only it would! Pentax has been a good company in the past and I would go back to it IF there was some innovation AND some attentiion and dialogue with customers.
Do you have anything positive to say about Pentax?

R

raist3d

I am afraid I will have to agree to disagree. The two new Sony lenses look good or very promising. The others don't seem to perform to the level I would like to see particularly for the megapixel count of the camera.

Also, Sony announced it's moderate wide (Zeiss 24mm f1.8)within months of NEX launch. Pentax STILL has no moderate wide f2 despite having made DSLR's for TEN YEARS!!.....
Meh, they have a lot of other good stuff.

AND, one can use just about ANY lens on the NEX models due to the very slim register and inexpensive adaptors from ebay.
Yeah, that aspect is good, but so much for the size.

Well some people are excited about it. Obviously you aren't. Seems pretty similar to many other cameras.

Well the K-5 sure seems like a camera that got feedback from K-7 things so... I am not saying or pretending Pentax is perfect because they are not. But some of the things you claim seem rather odd.

Anyway, cool.

- Raist