The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K-01

jminor

Hello Keith, you're getting some very nice pictures out of the K-01. I was happy to see Ricoh and Pentax getting together as the two companies make cameras that don't exactlly march in lock step with the bigger camera maufacturers. How does the K-01 compare to your GXR kit? Do you have a favorite?
John

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Hello Keith, you're getting some very nice pictures out of the K-01. I was happy to see Ricoh and Pentax getting together as the two companies make cameras that don't exactlly march in lock step with the bigger camera maufacturers. How does the K-01 compare to your GXR kit? Do you have a favorite?
John
Thanks John:
I like both the GXR and the K-01. They are very different. The GXR is a Chameleon in its own right - I am mostly using the A16 Zoom or the M-mount with legacy lenses. The sensor in the A16 module is the 16Mp Sony, the same as the K-01, but Ricoh leaves out the AA filter. The GXR feel, weight, ergonomics and interface just make it so nice to use.
I bought the K-01 because I liked the design, and that led me to get the K5. The K5 and K-01 are very different cameras, each with its own persona. The Limited primes work very well on the K-01 - nice size and balance. I like the controls on this camera. The IS is also very nice to have.
Most people who have the GXR say that if they could have just one camera, this would be it. I still see it that way too, but I'm anxious just like everyone to see what Ricoh has in store for the GXR.

Keith

jminor

Thanks John:
I like both the GXR and the K-01. They are very different. The GXR is a Chameleon in its own right - I am mostly using the A16 Zoom or the M-mount with legacy lenses. The sensor in the A16 module is the 16Mp Sony, the same as the K-01, but Ricoh leaves out the AA filter. The GXR feel, weight, ergonomics and interface just make it so nice to use.
I bought the K-01 because I liked the design, and that led me to get the K5. The K5 and K-01 are very different cameras, each with its own persona. The Limited primes work very well on the K-01 - nice size and balance. I like the controls on this camera. The IS is also very nice to have.
Most people who have the GXR say that if they could have just one camera, this would be it. I still see it that way too, but I'm anxious just like everyone to see what Ricoh has in store for the GXR.

Keith
Thanks for the reply Keith. I'm trying to decide what camera to get now. The Sigma DP2M produced wonderful pictures but was too limited for me. I need to be able to shoot in low light, and a bit quicker than the Sigma allowed. I knew ou had to shoot a certian way with it, but had to give it a try. I had a GRD I for the past 5 years (it just died) and loved the UI, and nice IQ for a small sensor camera. And I've had a few Pentax as well, K10, K20, and a K5 not to long ago. The Pentax lenses are terriffic. So I am considering the GXR or K-01. The K-01 has better movie capabilities, but I could live without it. The fun with the GXR forum has great photographers contributing and I spend a lot of time there looking at the excellent photos... I'm pretty sure I can't go wrong either way... Just have to ponder on it a while....
Thanks again for your response...
John

jminor

Thanks Keith, thats good to know. I have my DP2M for sale but have updated the ad to include trades for Pentax gear. I don't know why I sell off my Pentax stuff to try other cameras when I love the look of Pentax cameras and their lenses.... If I can sell the Sigma I'll buy either the K-30 or K-01, otherwise hoping for a trade. Thanks again for all the info and wonderful photos.....
John

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Sorry - another one of the Art Gallery of Ontario. I just love this viewpoint when the sky is right.

K-01 with Pentax 18-135 zoom

Keith

Elliot

This thread has been quiet, and since I just received a K-01, a quick snap seemed appropriate.