The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tokina confirms Pentax FF under development

iiiNelson

I don't know about the source but a FF K5II or K5 IIs type camera would be a winner for sure.

raist3d

Pentax already confirmed in an interview they are working on this. The question now is when & how much, not if.

- Ricardo

Knorp

According to my Pentax dealer there might be a new K-mount camera underway with a whispered price tag of € 2200 scheduled for spring 2014.
Of course nothing being confirmed yet, but this could well be the expected and hoped for FF body.
Now, don't take my word for it or hold your breath !
Hopefully the rumour mill will soon start in earnest ... :rolleyes:

Kind regards.

Charles Wood

If Pentax/Ricoh releases a FF design, it would no doubt be based on the 24 or 36 meg SONY sensors. They could do well to consider releasing at the same time, a precision adapter allowing P 645 lenses to be controlled by the new FF body. The original Pentax 645/K adapter only allows manual control of lenses with an aperture ring. I've found the P645 lenses to work very well on past Canon bodies and the present K3 I own. Pentax will also desperately need an affordable (relative terms) 24-100+MM range FF zoom that is up to task of working well with a FF sensor.

tsjanik

If Pentax/Ricoh releases a FF design, it would no doubt be based on the 24 or 36 meg SONY sensors. They could do well to consider releasing at the same time, a precision adapter allowing P 645 lenses to be controlled by the new FF body. The original Pentax 645/K adapter only allows manual control of lenses with an aperture ring. I've found the P645 lenses to work very well on past Canon bodies and the present K3 I own. Pentax will also desperately need an affordable (relative terms) 24-100+MM range FF zoom that is up to task of working well with a FF sensor.
That would be wonderful for those of us with 645 lenses; an adapter that allows auto diaphragm (as does the 67/645 adapter) would be enough for me.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I would have thought that all the 645 lenses would be a bit too large for what is likely to be a small body. No?

doug

Recalling the pace of the 645D's development from announcement to available, I hope for the sake of those who are eagerly anticipating this camera it doesn't follow a similar timeline.

tsjanik

I would have thought that all the 645 lenses would be a bit too large for what is likely to be a small body. No?
Kit, true for the wide angles when comparing to native Pentax 35mm lenses, but less so for the longer focal lengths. The 645 lenses are quite compact and similar in size to Canon 35mm lenses.
Some examples:
Pentax FA 645 400mm F5.6 -83x252mm, 1260g
Pentax M (35mm) 400mm f5.6 -85x277mm, 1240g
Canon 400mm f5.6 - 89x256mm 1250g

Pentax 645 120mm f4 macro - 78x110, 635g
Canon 100mm f2.8 macro - 78x123mm, 625g

I have a 645D and K-5 and the ability to use the 645 lenses on both bodies is a real advantage, since the K-5 allows higher ISO and IBIS.

Tom

tsjanik

Recalling the pace of the 645D's development from announcement to available, I hope for the sake of those who are eagerly anticipating this camera it doesn't follow a similar timeline.
True enough; on the other hand, it was worth the wait :)
Here's a 645D shot you might enjoy Doug:

_IGP0950 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Thanks Tom; I can see that. I am still in the A7 FF world, where (for example) an OM 50/2 macro at 500g approximately is too front-heavy for this body, but the 135g CV 35/2.5 is perfect!

I do hope Pentax/Ricoh come to the FF party; Sony needs some competition here, I feel. Cheers, KL