The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Attn Jim: Fuji mount vs K-5IIs

raist3d

$64K question for Jim - which system you prefer more? the Fuji or the K-5IIs. Without entering any arguments from anyone, just want to hear what you like about each, which one feels best for you.

To me the Fuji once it gets the X100s improvements it will be very interesting. I like the size (always love smaller). I wonder though about AF even with the phase detect added vs what Pentax is doing now.

I suppose it's hard to say without seeing what the X100s can do on the AF department. I am most interested in the AF perse, I think both cameras can do a high quality image with the K-5 perhaps still having a notch of an edge in high iso.

- Raist

$64K question for Jim - which system you prefer more? the Fuji or the K-5IIs. Without entering any arguments from anyone, just want to hear what you like about each, which one feels best for you.

- Raist
I would have to say the nod goes to the K5 IIs. The reasons are quite simple. The K5 IIs is more versatile than the X-Pro1. By more versatile I mean that it will work in all situations that may be presented to me: Action, low light, bad weather, Etc. Throw in the in-camera adjustments and features such as built in HDR capability and it, for my needs, is the more versatile of the two cameras. I don't do a lot of video and when I do, I go to the Panasonic GH2 over both the K5 IIs and the X-Pro1.

The AF is faster on the K5 IIs, it is weather sealed, has good RAW support and a very good selection/variety of lenses available for it.

And last but not least... I prefer the through the lens optical viewfinder of the K5 IIs to using the EVF or the optical frame system on the Fuji.

I like them both but the K5 IIs, in my opinion and based on my needs, is the better choice for me. That said, I plan on keeping and using both.

raist3d

Thanks for the answer. I am debating making a further investment and its a wait for end of year, where I expect the x mount to get the x100s improvements or get a k-5ii now (leanin towards s now, wedding moire be damned)

Thanks for the answer. I am debating making a further investment and its a wait for end of year, where I expect the x mount to get the x100s improvements or get a k-5ii now (leanin towards s now, wedding moire be damned)
I feel your pain... I know what it is like to want a camera and you are just not sure it will be up to your needs.

Tell you what, I will send you a full size shot of the wedding dress.. and you can pixel-peep a bit with it... maybe that will help. I think I have JPG and DNG on that one.

raist3d

I feel your pain... I know what it is like to want a camera and you are just not sure it will be up to your needs.

Tell you what, I will send you a full size shot of the wedding dress.. and you can pixel-peep a bit with it... maybe that will help. I think I have JPG and DNG on that one.
Wow that would be oh so kind of you. You have my promise i am deleting it when done and absolutely not sharing it.

The main issue I have with the k-5 is aF but looks thats fixed. Te second is that in the ideal world i would not have a Q and a k-5 but one camera for weddings, street life and everything. It seems like an x-e1 with the x100s improvements would fill that ticket

And x-e1 with the new upcoming pancake is coat pocket wearable and that's what I want. A wearable camera for street life. So what's my concern?

- I may need the new camera soon
- the fuji promises better aF. Will this aF hold in low light? Usually phase detect sensors bail out and you need contrast aF. This would basically put me in a bad place for Wedding work relatively speaking
- I am not too excited in dealing with fuji raw workflow issues at the moment. I know this will improve but its one of those things that I rather have the proof rather than the promise

Oh and hey, the k-5 ergonomics and sensor are still incredibly awesome. If only pentax had a pocketable model with the pancake prime I wouldn't be looking. It could have been but that k-01 isn't it.

So thats my interest in te fuji. The promise of one system. That said I am fairly happy with the quiet leaf shutter of the Q. The Q mount will also improve. I just rather have one system and have the same sensor available for
My shooting across the board though

Yeah I am not a fan of carrying my k-5 everywhere. If I could ever make peace with that.

I have found that to date.. there is no one system that works for me. I have a feeling that is true for many.

The Fuji may still be slow in low light situations.. it performs well in good light but from the number of weddings I have attended.. low light seems to rule for a number of photo ops and the Fuji may be too slow.. and then the moment is gone.

I have yet to own a camera that did not miss focus at one time or another so what are you gonna do about that... answer is nothing...although I often curse.

I do not have the wedding dress file with me so will have to send that when I get home this evening. Can your in-box handle large files? let me know. I've not looked to see if you have an email under your profile.. will do that as soon as I finish this note.

raist3d

Gmail handles up to 20 Meg's. should be enough for the .DNG

I also ruse a bit ;-) but I am not thinking about the current x mount cameras but an x camera with the x100s improvements.

raist3d

Thanks Jim. Read it as I mentioned on e-mail. That's nice, the only thing is that I have been able to use both cameras and even after the latest firmware upgrades, while way better, they aren't exactly where I would love them to be (but not bad).

The X100S promises to fix this set of issues. I would imagine by the end of this year we should see the Xmount with these upgrades at least announced. What I wonder is how well the AF continues working as light goes lower.

Also another question for you: how you find the resolution of X-trans vs the K-5IIs? From what I have seen Xtrans has a resolution sort of in the middle of "typical Bayer" and "Sigma like" while the K-5IIs seems a bit that way but leaning more towards "Sigma like." Of course, the Fuji enjoys a high resistance to color moire.

- Ricardo

Thanks
Also another question for you: how you find the resolution of X-trans vs the K-5IIs? From what I have seen Xtrans has a resolution sort of in the middle of "typical Bayer" and "Sigma like" while the K-5IIs seems a bit that way but leaning more towards "Sigma like." Of course, the Fuji enjoys a high resistance to color moire.

- Ricardo
Some of the photos I have taken with the X-Pro1 are truly amazing in detail. I have had the X-Pro1 longer than the K5 IIs so not long enough to say who is the winner but from what I have seen so far they are both in the same ballpark. Both are producing very sharp images.

If the X-Pro1 AF was as fast as the K5 IIs (using all lenses) I would be happy to use it all the time, even though I prefer a through the lens viewing system rather than an EVF.... but when I use the K5 IIs I know that I have a camera that will work under all situations I may encounter... and that takes into account the lenses which I might need... the current Fuji lenses are all very good but they are lacking on the long end.. and I need that at times.

I would love to have ONLY ONE CAMERA but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

raist3d

Thanks for the answer. Seems like you may get more the system you want after Fuji release more lenses and the Xmount with the X100s generation changes.

Same case like me. I wonder how well the AF will be in such cameras in moderate low light.

- Raist

Hi

I was today in a store to compare side by side the Fuji X-Pro1 with the Pentax K5IIs. I was really surprised, that they have almost identical dimensions.

If you put the Fuji x18 on the body, it has also the same thickness as the K5 body (the handgrip of the K5 makes the body thicker). But the rest of the body of the K5 is the same. Plus Pentaprism.

That makes me rethinking everything again. The only advantage in terms of size of the X-pro is then smaller lenses and the not existing pentaprism.

Advantage of the K5IIs is

- Better and mature viewfinder
- Better and mature AF
- Water resistant.
- Huge lens range
- Better grip t hold (if you buy additionally the x-Pro grip, the size advantage of the xpro is gone)

Hi

Advantage of the K5IIs is

- Better and mature viewfinder
- Better and mature AF
- Water resistant.
- Huge lens range
- Better grip t hold (if you buy additionally the x-Pro grip, the size advantage of the xpro is gone)
After a full week of photography in New Orleans I can report that I stopped carrying the X-Pro1 with me on the second day. It was not fast enough nor did it have the lens options I needed for what and how I was shooting in NOLA. Not to mention that the EVF just does not cut it for the fast pace of shooting during Mardi Gras and it is just no fun to use at night. It's a great camera but I needed fast and accurate AF and I needed a viewfinder I could use at night... the X-Pro1 falls short in these areas.

On the other hand, I used the K5 IIs with only two lenses for the entire five days. The DA* 16-50 and the DA* 50-135. I had all my primes with me but did not use a single one. I shot over 1500 frames during the five days and found the K5 IIs functioned perfectly; no lock ups, no issues at all.

I can honestly say that the K5 IIs totally outperformed the X-Pro1 on this trip. It was no contest and the X-Pro1 stayed in the hotel room four out of five days.

After a full week of photography in New Orleans I can report that I stopped carrying the X-Pro1 with me on the second day. It was not fast enough nor did it have the lens options I needed for what and how I was shooting in NOLA. Not to mention that the EVF just does not cut it for the fast pace of shooting during Mardi Gras and it is just no fun to use at night. It's a great camera but I needed fast and accurate AF and I needed a viewfinder I could use at night... the X-Pro1 falls short in these areas.

On the other hand, I used the K5 IIs with only two lenses for the entire five days. The DA* 16-50 and the DA* 50-135. I had all my primes with me but did not use a single one. I shot over 1500 frames during the five days and found the K5 IIs functioned perfectly; no lock ups, no issues at all.

I can honestly say that the K5 IIs totally outperformed the X-Pro1 on this trip. It was no contest and the X-Pro1 stayed in the hotel room four out of five days.
Is it worth it for you then to keep the X-Pro1? If yes, why?

Is it worth it for you then to keep the X-Pro1? If yes, why?
Yes. The X-Pro 1 will work for me in many ways. I have a lot of legacy glass I can use with it. The IQ is amazing as well as the Fuji colors.

I always have two camera systems and the Fuji and Pentax are good compliments.

The Fuji can be used in situations where a DSLR may be deemed intimidating or in cases where a venue might not allow a "Pro" camera to be used.

raist3d

A few comments to 4711 and Jim:

- Just to be clear, I would not be interested an X-Pro 1, but an X-E1 because of the sizes.
- Also at least for me, I am not putting much weight comparing the X-Pro1/X-E1 to the Pentax not only because I realize their overall response and focus is not like the K-5's, but also because an X mount camera I would be comparing against would be more what I expect an "X-E1 Mark II" to be- an X-E1 with all the recent enhancements announced for the X100s.

It is an Xmount camera with X100s enhancements that I wonder about. So for example the AF speed and accuracy I expect to be quite different from the current Xmount models. It could still very well be very fast but in lower light start using contrast AF and go back to not so hot, but I would love to see what Fuji does there.

- Raist

A few comments to 4711 and Jim:

- Just to be clear, I would not be interested an X-Pro 1, but an X-E1 because of the sizes.
- Also at least for me, I am not putting much weight comparing the X-Pro1/X-E1 to the Pentax not only because I realize their overall response and focus is not like the K-5's, but also because an X mount camera I would be comparing against would be more what I expect an "X-E1 Mark II" to be- an X-E1 with all the recent enhancements announced for the X100s.

It is an Xmount camera with X100s enhancements that I wonder about. So for example the AF speed and accuracy I expect to be quite different from the current Xmount models. It could still very well be very fast but in lower light start using contrast AF and go back to not so hot, but I would love to see what Fuji does there.

- Raist
What can I say? I'm happy.

Hi Ricardo,

did you ever consider the new Ricoh GR for your needs? I was not able yet to find users who used both, the K5iis and the new Ricoh GR. I wonder whether both have the same sensor IQ.

I would love to have the exact same IQ of the K5iis in a compact camera with 28mm lens...

raist3d

Hi Ricardo,

did you ever consider the new Ricoh GR for your needs? I was not able yet to find users who used both, the K5iis and the new Ricoh GR. I wonder whether both have the same sensor IQ.

I would love to have the exact same IQ of the K5iis in a compact camera with 28mm lens...
The Ricoh GR is great and fantastic but I am not a wide angle street shooter. If I was, I would have bought it and called it done.

So I would say if you like shooting at 28mm/35mm and you are a street shooter, go for it.

- Ricardo