The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Renaming the Pentax forum

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Well we don't call the Nikon Forum the Mitsubishi-Kabushiki-gaisha Nikon Forum.
We tend to go by brands where there is enough activity within the brand to warrant a new forum.
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I do not mind changing the name if that's what the majority of users want. I see the logic in that Ricoh still distributes cameras. But, I'd appreciate the Pentax regulars garnering a majority opinion before we move that direction.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Maybe someone start a poll as that is a good indicator.

On the topic of adding forums, I know we admins have talked about this. First it must be a real need with a lot of posts on a certain brand name as the front page of this forum gets lengthy with all these forums. It is a pain to do a lot of scrolling up and down the site. Obviously other is a catch all and many forum titles have started from the other forum. I think Pentax actually came from the other section, so if a brand becomes very popular than we look at that and figure out what is best for the site and our members.

Michiel Schierbeek

Thanks for your reactions dear Administrators :)

Pentax Ricoh wouldn't make the front page any longer only the other cameras page shorter.
A seperate Sigma forum would add one more item. may be it is good to wait to see how things develop with Sigma, although I think there is a lot of activity on the Sigma side.

I am not a Pentax but Ricoh poster but if someone from the Pentax crowd want to start a poll that would be very democratic.

BTW I wouldn't know how to start one anyway :D Should read the instruction page :dh2:

Knorp

Oops ... :facesmack:

Hot on the heels of Carl Zeiss's decision to become simply Zeiss, Pentax Ricoh has decided that from August 1st it will be known simply as Ricoh. It's not all bad news for Pentax fans though - the brand name will continue to be used on the company's SLRs and interchangeable lens cameras. Meanwhile the Ricoh name will be used for compact cameras and, cryptically, 'new technological innovations'.

Press release:

PENTAX RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD has today announced that it is changing its company name to RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD, effective from August 1 2013.

In addition, the company has also unveiled its future product brand strategy: both PENTAX and RICOH products will remain in the market under the new name to reinforce the company’s commitment to the business with Pentax becoming the brand for all DSLR, interchangeable lens cameras and binoculars, and Ricoh becoming its brand for compact cameras and new technological innovations.

Purpose of the change

Pentax Ricoh Imaging Company was formed October 1, 2011 as a wholly owned subsidiary of Ricoh Company Ltd. to provide more consumer–oriented offerings to the market.

The company’s goal is to leverage the tremendous strength and awareness of the Ricoh brand along with the superior technical innovation of Pentax products to deliver a world- class consumer experience.

RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. remains committed to further strengthening its offerings and presence in the area of consumer imaging products and related services.

We're for the chop, guys :cry:

All the best

raist3d

Not sure how this changes anything (yet). They are clearly stating they expect to continue using the Pentax as a brand in the same way they are using it now. The only thing they are changing is the company name that holds the products. Of course maybe next August we get another press release talking about the new Ricoh k-mount full frame camera ;-)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
They certainly need to keep the brands alive - there are plenty like me who are devotees of both.
Though I'm trying to change. Couldn't resist the new daft low price on the Nikon 1 V1 with two kit lenses. First Nikon I ever bought.
Where is the new GXR . . . ??:mad:

Keith

raist3d

Well, they still said they will use the Pentax brand and they are. I still think it's a bit silly but I still think they will keep Pentax as a brand.

If they kill that, then as good as a Ricoh GR is, (the APS-C new one), they will get what they deserve.

- Raist