The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

K5II or K5IIs?

Paratom

Hi,
can anybody here share experience with the k5IIs?
I am interested in the camera for general purpose, portable, weatherproof system (to eventually replace my OMD).
I am leaning towards the K5IIs - so any experience (i.e. moirree, but also IQ compared to the K5/K5II) would be appreciated.
Also - would you get the "s-version" again?
Thanks a lot, Tom

Knorp

Hi there Tom,

I think it's Jim Radcliffe who can answer your question best.
He's shooting the K5IIs, previously owned a K5, capturing plenty of moiré prone subjects (buildings, streetcars, etc).
Perhaps Dan can tell a thing or two as well.
I have not enough experience yet, but did already notice a significant improvement in my close-up&macro photography, so my choice would be "s" any time.

Kind regards.

seakayaker

The K5IIs is the first Pentax I have owned. Bought it because I have a friend who uses a K7 and I really like the work he has produced using that camera. Read through the reviews here, the Pentax forum, comments on Jim Radcliffs webpage, Sean Reids review of Pentax camera and lens and came to the conclusion it was what I was looking for in an all weather camera.

I enjoy using the K5IIs, it is comfortable in my hands, the size works well for me. I am still getting used to the controls, i.e., front & rear wheels and assorted control buttons along with the menu options. Most importantly I am extremely pleased with the digital files and the photographs that I can create with this camera.

I still use my M9 for full frame digital along with GF1 micro four thirds as well as 35mm and medium format film cameras.

Moire has appeared in some of the photographs but it has not been a constant problem.

I would buy the 's-version' again without hesitation.

Good luck with your decision.

Paratom

The K5IIs is the first Pentax I have owned. Bought it because I have a friend who uses a K7 and I really like the work he has produced using that camera. Read through the reviews here, the Pentax forum, comments on Jim Radcliffs webpage, Sean Reids review of Pentax camera and lens and came to the conclusion it was what I was looking for in an all weather camera.

I enjoy using the K5IIs, it is comfortable in my hands, the size works well for me. I am still getting used to the controls, i.e., front & rear wheels and assorted control buttons along with the menu options. Most importantly I am extremely pleased with the digital files and the photographs that I can create with this camera.

I still use my M9 for full frame digital along with GF1 micro four thirds as well as 35mm and medium format film cameras.

Moire has appeared in some of the photographs but it has not been a constant problem.

I would buy the 's-version' again without hesitation.

Good luck with your decision.
Hi Dan,
Thank you for the answer.
you seem to also collect gear like me ;)
I allways try to reduce and then I find a reason to get a new camera again.
If I get the K5IIs, I will probably get out of m4/3.

Which lens do you use mainly with the Pentax?

Kind Regards, Tom

seakayaker

Hi Dan,
Thank you for the answer.
you seem to also collect gear like me ;)
I allways try to reduce and then I find a reason to get a new camera again.
If I get the K5IIs, I will probably get out of m4/3.

Which lens do you use mainly with the Pentax?

Kind Regards, Tom

Tom,

The two lens that I have currently are the SMCP-FA 77mm f1.8 Limited and the 55mm f/1.4 DA* SDM Autofocus Lens. The next lens I will add will be the SMC-FA 31mm Limited. I like prime lens and the three will give me a 46mm, 82mm and 115mm range. I have the 55mm 1.4 for all weather use with the camera.

The lens that I have been using 90% of the time has been the 77/f1.8, it is a stellar lens. All three of the FA limited lens (31mm/43mm/77mm) have great reviews. I plan on buying the 31mm/f1.8 in the near future. Looking at some of the results from the FA 100mm f2.8 WR Macro and the SMCP-DA* 300mm f/4 ED telephoto lens also look interesting.

At some point further down the road I may look at getting a wider lens for the Pentax but for now will use the 24mm/28mm/35mm lens on the M9 if I need to go wide.

As far as a reduction in gear goes, I consider downsizing quite often. The conscious decision I did make was not to upgrade the M9 to the M240 or pursue the purchase of a Monochrome. The cost of the K5IIs with a few lens is still cheaper then trading in or selling the M9 and purchasing the M240 or Monochrome. (even if they were available) I will be seeing if the M9 really does have a 150,000 actuations.

Once again, good luck with your decision.

Paratom

Tom,

The two lens that I have currently are the SMCP-FA 77mm f1.8 Limited and the 55mm f/1.4 DA* SDM Autofocus Lens. The next lens I will add will be the SMC-FA 31mm Limited. I like prime lens and the three will give me a 46mm, 82mm and 115mm range. I have the 55mm 1.4 for all weather use with the camera.

The lens that I have been using 90% of the time has been the 77/f1.8, it is a stellar lens. All three of the FA limited lens (31mm/43mm/77mm) have great reviews. I plan on buying the 31mm/f1.8 in the near future. Looking at some of the results from the FA 100mm f2.8 WR Macro and the SMCP-DA* 300mm f/4 ED telephoto lens also look interesting.

At some point further down the road I may look at getting a wider lens for the Pentax but for now will use the 24mm/28mm/35mm lens on the M9 if I need to go wide.

As far as a reduction in gear goes, I consider downsizing quite often. The conscious decision I did make was not to upgrade the M9 to the M240 or pursue the purchase of a Monochrome. The cost of the K5IIs with a few lens is still cheaper then trading in or selling the M9 and purchasing the M240 or Monochrome. (even if they were available) I will be seeing if the M9 really does have a 150,000 actuations.

Once again, good luck with your decision.
I have been reading quite a bit yesterday about lenses. The FA31 seems to be an excellent lens from the reviews. I would probably get one of the 31/35/43mm limited lenses.
However if I get the K5iis I would also like to use a zoom and I am a bit concerned about the mixed reports about the 16-50mm.

May I ask if you do not find the M9 and the K5 to have a lot of overlap (medium size camera with very good primes)? When would you prefer the K5 and when the M9. How would you compare the IQ from both systems?
Thanks a lot, Tom

seakayaker

I have been reading quite a bit yesterday about lenses. The FA31 seems to be an excellent lens from the reviews. I would probably get one of the 31/35/43mm limited lenses.
However if I get the K5iis I would also like to use a zoom and I am a bit concerned about the mixed reports about the 16-50mm.

May I ask if you do not find the M9 and the K5 to have a lot of overlap (medium size camera with very good primes)? When would you prefer the K5 and when the M9. How would you compare the IQ from both systems?
Thanks a lot, Tom
There is overlap with the two cameras and here is how I intend to use the two. The first point is that I carry a camera with me everyday.

My initial interest was to find a weather sealed camera since I enjoy walking and Seattle has a fair amount of inclement weather. I had been thinking about buying a weather sealed camera for some time when this past May I was out and about with my M9 on a day with some steady rain. After this walk with the camera being used sparingly I decided to just go do it. I came across this video, PENTAX DUST AND WEATHER SEALING IN AFGHANISTAN - YouTube , where a combat photographer doused his Pentax cameras in sand and rinsed them both in a shower. Then is when I decided to take a closer look at the Pentax.

As I stated above, after reading the reviews of Sean Reid, Jim Radcliffe, along with comments from the threads in the GetDPI and the Pentax forums made the decision to buy the K5IIs a comfortable decision for me.

The second justification for purchasing the K5IIs was to have an autofocus system for use when I get to hang out with my two grand daughters. There are some photographs that I have missed while carrying the M9, the kids are getting faster and I am slowing down, and the autofocus system will improve the keeper rate.

I have not performed any side by side comparison of the K5IIs and M9. I am impressed with the IQ of the K5IIs. As with any tool the user influences the results.

So in the long run there will be days that I use a digital camera and other days that I use film.

As far as zoom lens goes. I did buy a used 16 - 50mm zoom lens and from a very brief period of use I found that I prefer using prime lenses. I did return the zoom lens. I choose the 16-50 zoom because it was weatherproof and after doing some research I found that most of the complaints regarding zooms were with the K5 and earlier Pentax models. Comments from users with the K5II and K5IIs were positive regarding the use of zoom lenses.

For comments on the 16 - 50mm zoom from users you may want to take a look here: SMC Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Hope that was of some help.

Good luck with your research and decision.

Dan

ptomsu

Workshop Member
After reading so many great reports about the K5II / K5IIs, I could no longer resist and pressed the BUY button today - a special offer in Europe for €999.- minus €50.- summer rebate from Pentax!

Also ordered a 18-135 WR (€420.-), I know not the greatest lens in the lineup, but again I could get it relatively cheap and it should do for a good all time walk around lens, which makes the whole kit water resistant.

Should receive both early next week and hope I will be happy (no AF issues, front / back focus etc.). If this is the case I will start buying some of the Limited's over next months - FA31, FA43, FA77. And later I also plan 16-50 and 50-135.

Cannot wait to start testing ;)

seakayaker

Congratulations on your recent purchase!

I look forward to reading your comments regarding the K5II/K5IIs.

Dan

ptomsu

Workshop Member
So here it is -my new K5IIs and 18-135.

What a great camera. Before it came I had serious trouble with myself, because this is again another (new) camera system for me and frankly I did not need another one. So I had in mind to have just a look and send the whole thing back. At least this was what I planned.

Well, I should not have entered the battery and start shooting after some basic config. I viewed the images (shot in DNG) and was blown away. Color, WB, contrast, resolution, speed and accuracy of AF, etc. This is a completely different beast compared to the original K5 I owned some 3 years bak and returned because of AF issues mainly.

Also the 18-135 is one of the best all round zooms I ever used, tack sharp in the center, a bit less in the corners, but most images I take can pretty nicely live with that.

So I am hooked. If not something really unexpected happens in the next few days, I will keep the whole unit.

Argh... so I have another system again ....

ecsh

If you like the zoom, dont even try the 43 limited on this camera. You will never get rid of it, LOL.

jonoslack

Damn Already
Just seen this thread.
I got hold of a Ricoh GR today, and we were discussing how much we missed our K5s.

. . . but. . . . but . . . . but . . . The reason for the OMD is to have a camera with decent lightweight zooms, the M being the camera to use with primes.

The 18-135 and a K5IIs seems perfect . . . but it's a bit of a contradition of terms. The OMD with the 14-150 is more logical as a companion to the M . . . but I'm still tempted!!!

Bart - Peter - Tom - Dan

I blame you for this.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Damn Already
Just seen this thread.
I got hold of a Ricoh GR today, and we were discussing how much we missed our K5s.

. . . but. . . . but . . . . but . . . The reason for the OMD is to have a camera with decent lightweight zooms, the M being the camera to use with primes.

The 18-135 and a K5IIs seems perfect . . . but it's a bit of a contradition of terms. The OMD with the 14-150 is more logical as a companion to the M . . . but I'm still tempted!!!

Bart - Peter - Tom - Dan

I blame you for this.
Jono

Still after a few weeks using the K5IIs I am very happy with that camera. Just everything is so logical for operation, as I would use an old Leica R5 or R6 but with digital sensor. Plus its size is really perfect.

And IQ is stunning - contrast, colors, resolution - all DNG OOC!

You should rethink your strategy ;)

Peter