The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone using a K-3?

pixelsmithy

New member, be gentle. :D

I've been a Pentax owner since the K200D. Upgraded to the K-x (huge performance increase in high ISO thanks to the Sony sensor), then the K-5 (my first "flagship" model), then the K-5II, then I won a K-3 body in a photo contest and just recently upgraded to the K-3II. My reasons for going Pentax was mainly the backwards compatibility (easy to use MF K-mount glass and screwmount glass, along with earlier KAF lenses) and the fact that Pentax had in-body image stabilization, meaning that I could get those benefits on ANY lens I put on the front of the camera. I've never regretted my decision. LOVE the Pentax approach. They get more out of Sony sensors than Sony does. Also love the weather/dust sealing of the bodies and the ergonomics.

The K-3 II is a nice upgrade with improved Shake Reduction components that are supposed to get a 1 EV improvement over the previous models. It also has the AstroTrack built-in, which is an amazing way to leverage the SR system to allow for astrophotography without a tracking mount. GPS is also built-in. This is along with the 2 cards slots and the no-AA filter with 2 level moire correction by micro-blur that is a Pentax exclusive (shared with the earlier K-3). The K-3 gives up the built-in flip-up flash for the GPS/AstroTrack. The K-3 II also offers Pixel Shift Resolution, which overcomes the Bayer array and is suitable for still subjects (under about 1/10 second for the total exposure). When it can be used, PSR makes all of your lenses suddenly look a lot better.

In my opinion, the K-3II is the Ultimate APS-C DSLR, with the K-3 being the runner-up. The AstroTrack, combined with GPS, two card slots, improved AF and SR systems and the Pentax exclusives of PSR and micro-blur moire correction (when needed) gives it a combination of features unequaled by any other manufacturer.

This is a simple shot taken from a blind with my K-3 and an old Bigma (Sigma EX 50-50mm f/4-6.3 DG).

(K-3 with Sigma EX 10-20mm - this image has had distortion-correction made in post).

(K-3 with Tokina AT-X 90mm f/2.5 macro)

I also happen to believe that APS-C is an ideal format. I like getting the 1.5x focal multiplier (giving my 500mm Bigma the Field of View of a 750mm lens) along with reachable ultrawide angles (using my favorite lens, the Sigma EX 10-20mm - which gives me a 15mm effective FOV). I get an effective 15mm-750mm from the 10-500mm lenses.

Last edited:

MalcolmP

Hi Pixelsmithy and welcome.
I can't disagree with any of your views regarding Pentax (Ricoh).
Feature rich and as tough as old boots.
"Ultimate format", I'll say horses for courses on that one perhaps.
Cracking images and nice to see we share a couple of lens choices, Sigma 's Bigma and 10-20 Ex.
Personally I'm waiting to see what forthcoming F/F turns out like and then it will be that or K3 ii for me ,wallet permitting of course.
Kind regards .
Malcolm

Knorp

A couple of snaps with the Pentax f1.9 43mm limited.
Regards
Malcolm
Some fine snaps, Malcolm.
Will you be joining "Anyone using a K-1 ?", I wonder.
I think we better start a thread like "An awful lot of fun with any Pentax".

Kind regards.

MalcolmP

Hi Bart,how's it going?
Yes I'm very interested in the K1.
Reading the thread here with a beady eye.
I'm thinking that as a tool to mount mega non native lenses it will probably be pants compared to Sony but for everything else bar Canikon 1D/D5 speed and accuracy it'll be stonking and not too much to touch it even at double the price.
As is proven albeit at Pentax/Richo's glacial pace :).
A couple more with the 43mm limited, mainly because K.H. was mentioning it I believe.Not that my photo's are much to go by.:)
Regards.
MalcolmChip Shop Lady.jpgWaterworld.jpg

baudolino

Here's a picture I took in the Lake Mburo NP in Uganda in December 2014. K-3 with the fantastic F*300/4.5 (the lens unfortunately fell apart during the trip and doesn't look like being serviceable any more). I have the K-1 on order :)

tsjanik

Yes Tom ,,, but what about the photograph? ;)
By the way Tom that pier /sunset/ bird image that you posted in the "fun with mf" is a masterpiece !:clap:
Regards
Malc.
Thanks for the compliment Malc. It was about -20C when I took that image; I like spring better.
Great image you posted, but if he doesn't stop smoking, he'll be in a pickle (can't help myself).

Tom

Elliot

It has been quiet here for awhile, so I thought something should be posted. There are many people who don't have K-1's, and I enjoy the high quality photos that others post on this thread.

I just picked up the very inexpensive Pentax DA 50-200 F4-5.6 ED WR lens in like new condition, and it certainly will work as a nice lightweight alternative for the K-3ii.

This was the first photo I took with it early this morning. It was taken handheld at 1/13, 3200 ISO, f/4.5, 115mm. The only processing was a very slight increase in exposure and an even slighter sharpening.

Very low light 50-200.jpg

Elliot

I thought it might be useful to reinvigorate the K-3 thread, as I cannot imagine that everyone has migrated to the K-1.:) Pentax/Ricoh actually still make crop lenses (!), and one of the newest is the DA 55-300 f4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE. I have only taken about a dozen photos around the house, but think it is a keeper.

I find the lens quiet and fast focusing, and it does not seem to hunt, all benefits over the older 55-300 screw-drive versions. It is decently balanced on the K-3ii, but the zoom is pretty stiff -- hopefully this will loosen a bit.

Broom & Leaves 1.jpg
Pentax K-3ii, 190mm, f/5.6, 1/50, ISO 1600

CV 221.jpg
Pentax K-3ii, 260mm, f/6.3, 1/13, ISO 200

Knorp

Great stuff, Malcolm :thumbs:
Very dramatic images and expertly processed.
What have you been doing this winter ?

Kind regards.

pegelli

Great stuff, Malcolm :thumbs:
Very dramatic images and expertly processed.
What have you been doing this winter ?

Kind regards.
+1, and I'm guessing there was at least a visit to the Lofoten on the schedule. Some of the scenes look very familiar to when we were there early March.

I think this shot was taken very close to your fourth :)

MalcolmP

Hi Bart,
thank you for your kind comments.
As Pieter rightly said, a visit to Norway's Lofoton Islands amongst a few other bits and bobs.
Hi Pieter,
what an epic place don't you think?
Definitely want to go back, but my word isn't it an expensive place(I almost had to go tee total :cry:).
One more from Haukland beach.
Regards
Malcolm.

Attachments

pegelli

Hi Pieter,
what an epic place don't you think?
Definitely want to go back, but my word isn't it an expensive place(I almost had to go tee total :cry:).
Malcolm.
Yup, fully agree, some evenings the beer or wine was the biggest part of the dinner bill, and we were quite modest :loco:

here's my (still growing) SmugMug gallery of the images from our week in the Lofoten and Vesteralen (except currently the first two shots). Do you have a place where you store (or will store in the future) your Lofoten pics? I always enjoy to see what others saw in the same place I have visited.