The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax 645Z

k-hawinkler

Pentax 645Z First Impressions Review on LL.

A very interesting read for sure. My conclusions:

For my purposes/uses I made the correct buying decisions with Leica M9, Nikon D800E, Olympus E-M5, E-M1, and Sony NEX-5N, -7, A7R. What's needed now is getting rid of some of the annoyances like shutter shock, LiveView not integrated into OVF, missing IBIS, ... .

The new Lytro needs an order of magnitude more rays at the same price. Then I certainly would bite.

Last edited:

BlinkingEye

Thank you for your post and taking the time to review and do a write-up. I read it twice. I always enjoy the real-world thought even though I am trained as an engineer and can thus "geek out" on the technical stuff.

Every year I write out a list of things I want to do photographically. This year I have on my list to finally get serious about a MF set-up. Since I need a field camera the 645z is a great fit for me. I only need a body and three lenses.

The one thing I wish Pentax had worked out was movements. Does anyone have a T&S movement solution?

Again, thank you for the time you took to review.

Paratom

Thank you for your post and taking the time to review and do a write-up. I read it twice. I always enjoy the real-world thought even though I am trained as an engineer and can thus "geek out" on the technical stuff.

Every year I write out a list of things I want to do photographically. This year I have on my list to finally get serious about a MF set-up. Since I need a field camera the 645z is a great fit for me. I only need a body and three lenses.

The one thing I wish Pentax had worked out was movements. Does anyone have a T&S movement solution?

Again, thank you for the time you took to review.
I have the same wish for the S system a wide angle TS lens.

Paratom

Thank you for the review!
Some years ago I decided for the Leica S system but if I had to decide today I would probably go for the 645z. I particular would enjoy the multi point AF and the high ISO capabilities. Not that I wouldnt enjoy the S.

Last edited:

algrove

I ordered one after selling my P45+. Got the 55, 25 and 28-45, so far with the 90 macro in the cross hairs.

algrove

Ok, gone amuck! Also ordered the 80-160. Sure used are less, but at least I have a return option for 30 days and one year warranty.

Received the new 28-45. What a huge lens at 3.5"x6", but it does have SR. Will decide if I keep the 25 after using both for a while. I have always used an 18mm with FF 35mm so that was why I decided to try the 25.

If I have the 28-45, 45-85 and 80-160 that covers about any FL I can think of right about now.

Anyone out there dislike the 25 and why?

bensonga

After 34 years with BP, as of December 1st I am now officially retired.

My wonderful wife gave me a 645z and a couple of lenses as a retirement gift. The card included this request: ”Could you just take a few pictures of Alaska scenery that we can frame to hang in my office? And no old trucks.”

But, but....I love old trucks! :oops:

Gary

D&A

Congratulations Gary! That's quite a milestone and one to celebrate and definitely looking forward to your post retirement images, especially with the 645Z, Oh by the way, you must honor her request of no "old trucks"....but then again she said nothing about old 👉 🚃 now did she? 🙄

Dave (D&A)

tsjanik

Congratulations Gary. It's a great camera. I love mine and much prefer the ergonomics/menus/ OVF to the Fuji's. I know you have lots of 67 lenses to use too.

Tom

Michiel Schierbeek

Lovely camera Gary, a bit heavy but a joy to use. Ergonomics and interface are great. Yesterday I bought myself a Canon 5DSr :cool: just to use the Canon 24 TS lens on. I got tired of the Samyang on the Pentax K-1. Too much distortion and a bit lack of character as well. Have fun with Pentax 645Z, it is a true workhorse!

bensonga

Thanks folks. I’ve been using Pentax cameras for almost 40 years. Early on it was a K-1000 and MX, then mostly the 6x7 (still my favorite medium format film camera). I have 19 Pentax 67 lenses ranging from 35 to 500mm. I bought a 645NII and a few 645 lenses when the 645D was released, knowing that someday, when the prices had fallen a bit, I would get one. I love the images from the 645D CCD sensor and look forward to using 645z and how its images compare with the 645D. As most of you probably know, I rarely part with the camera (or lens) once I have it.

Gary

bensonga

Yesterday I bought myself a Canon 5DSr :cool: just to use the Canon 24 TS lens on.
The Canon 5DS and 5DSr cameras are a terrific bargin now! I bought a 5DS a few weeks ago from B&H Photo in NYC when I saw the price had dropped to $1,299. They didn’t have the 5DSr in stock at that time and I wasn’t sure they if they get any more, otherwise I would bought it instead.

While I have many Canon lenses, I’ve never owned or used one of their TS lenses. Might have to rectify that omission.

I only wish there was a TS adapter available for the 645D/645z. I have the Pentax 67 75mm shift lens so I will give a try. It‘s unfortunate that Pentax did not make a TS adapter similar to one that Mamiya made for the RB/RZ 67 system.

Last edited:

Michiel Schierbeek

Yes that is the reason I bought this set up because there is no wide TS option for Pentax. So I decided to use the canon TS 24 on a native camera with enough resolution for a while. May be some day on a Fuji GFX, although they might come up with one of their own. The widest I have for pentax 645 is a Mamiya 50 mm shift converted to Hasselblad mount. But they are quiet rare. It has nice warm old fashioned tone but is not utterly sharp. Canon colours are warmer then I was used to, but that is no problem in post. Canon's menu system is still a bit strange to me.

rollsman44

Hi, I just repurchased the Z and 2 zooms. SMC Pentax FA 645 AF Zoom Lens 80-160mm f/4.5 and SMC PENTAX FA 645 Zoom 45-85mm f/4.5 for 645
I took a few pictures outside my house and They ARE Very Sharp and I like the Image quality. I also have the D-FA 55 and FA 75 2.8 and the FA 150 Lenses. I dont know if I need all of them since I purchased the 2 zooms BUT I will keep them anyway. ALL GREAT Lenses. and with the Z . Any suggestions when using LR Classic for the Z profiles? TY