The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lenses for the 645Z

Jeffg53

Some time back I went through the stress of abandoning my H4D and choosing something else. In the end, I got a D800 and mix of adapted Leica R and Zeiss lenses. It's good, as you would expect but I still hanker after MF. With the arrival of the 645Z, I was wondering how the lenses are holding up. As tempting as it was, I just couldn't bring myself to what I saw as a lottery with Pentax lenses. I'm not interested in wide angles very much. I would use lenses from 75 to 200 90% of the time. Any suggestions of what goes with the 645Z would be appreciated.

Ken_R

Some time back I went through the stress of abandoning my H4D and choosing something else. In the end, I got a D800 and mix of adapted Leica R and Zeiss lenses. It's good, as you would expect but I still hanker after MF. With the arrival of the 645Z, I was wondering how the lenses are holding up. As tempting as it was, I just couldn't bring myself to what I saw as a lottery with Pentax lenses. I'm not interested in wide angles very much. I would use lenses from 75 to 200 90% of the time. Any suggestions of what goes with the 645Z would be appreciated.
If you like to shoot wide open the only really good lens (wide open) in that focal range is the new 90mm macro and maybe the 150mm. The other lenses are slower and perform best in mid range apertures. Image quality from what I have seen out of the 645Z files is stunning.

Jeffg53

Thanks Ken. Being a landscape person, i tend to be shooting stopped down. Do you know where I could get some raw files?

I could be happy with a 90, 45, 150 or 180 setup.

algrove

The 90 is stellar and so is the 28-45, but that one does seem to suit you. The 55 is excellent and also sealed like the 90 and 28-45. Some like the 45 prime, but other options might be the 45-85 or the sealed 55/2.8. Mine is very sharp. The 150/2.8 os so light you will think they left out a couple of elements. It is very good for portraits, but for landscape has a dreamy look to its files. The 300/5.6 is also a nice long lens, but must be rigidly supported.

The 300, 150, and 45-85 can be had used at good prices. Another lens to consider is the not expensive A 35/3.5. Mine is extremely sharp and even works well for street zone focusing. Another used gem can be the 80-160.

turtle

Hi Jeff, I have a 645Z and faced similar questions to you. You may find what I have written about the camera and some of the lenses useful. There are some full resolution full width image strips there for you to look at.

Considering your interest in 75mm to 200, I'd consider the 75mm an absolute must. It performs beautifully and at 215g and modest price, its a no brainer.

I have a 80-160mm A which is very good, but not quite perfect. It seems there is sample variation out there, but all my used A lenses perform beautifully.

The 120mm macro is a very popular and strong performer, although I find mine needs more stopping down for corner to corner sharp infinity work than is ideal for my uses, but it does get there by f11 (and wider open when closer in).

The 150mm A is cheap as chips and very good by all accounts.

My FA 200 has not been fully tested, but seems very good indeed.

The 150mm to 300 looks very interesting, stopped down to landscape apertures.

Bottom line is that lenses are so affordable and readily available that there is relatively little at stake. If you get a dud, you can return and try again.

I'm thrilled with my 645Z purchase and if you do decide to venture wider, the 28-45mm is astonishing.

Jeffg53

Thanks folks. I have an appointment booked to get my hands on a 645Z next week.

From my reading, I have gathered that the 28-45, 90, 150 and possibly 200 would make a good selection. I still shudder when I read about rendering differences between the lenses. With my current set of Leica R/Zeiss, I have never been aware of this.

As an aside, the body is significantly cheaper in Australia than the US now.

Last edited:

tsjanik

Thanks folks. I have an appointment booked to get my hands on a 645Z next week.

From my reading, I have gathered that the 28-45, 90, 150 and possibly 200 would make a good selection. I still shudder when I read about rendering differences between the lenses. With my current set of Leica R/Zeiss, I have never been aware of this.

As an aside, the body is significantly cheaper in Australia than the US now.
Jeff:

The reported variation in Pentax MF lenses seems to me something like the reports of Mark Twain's death - greatly exaggerated. I have had or have 20+ lenses from the 67 and 645 system. Some are better than others, but I have been unhappy only with two: the 45mm FA, which almost no one likes and the 35mm FA which many like, but mine was a dude.

I suspect many reports of poor performance have their origins in one or both of two factors: focus error and shutter vibration.
Live view solves the focus error problem (it can be used stopped down as well to avoid focus shift) and the shutter issue can be minimized by using a higher ISO with little loss of quality.

Jeffg53

I agree that the issue of lens variation is probably overrated but, without any files to look at, I am inclined to err on the side of caution. My starting expectation is high. I have been using Zeiss or Leica lenses exclusively for years, and the best of them when I had a choice. I was happy with the Pentax lenses that I had with my old 645. They lacked the impact of the Zeiss V series lenses that I was also using then but they were OK.

I can't see myself starting to use LV any time soon. I'm far too happy looking through a viewfinder. I would also only ever work off a good tripod so I'm hoping that shutter vibration won't be an issue. From memory, the old 645 had the best mirror damping system by a long way.

It occurs to me that Pentax has produced a superb camera and then cut it loose. I guess that Phase had a similar issue with the old Mamiya lenses but they have that sorted now.

tsjanik

I agree that the issue of lens variation is probably overrated but, without any files to look at, I am inclined to err on the side of caution. My starting expectation is high. I have been using Zeiss or Leica lenses exclusively for years, and the best of them when I had a choice. I was happy with the Pentax lenses that I had with my old 645. They lacked the impact of the Zeiss V series lenses that I was also using then but they were OK.

I can't see myself starting to use LV any time soon. I'm far too happy looking through a viewfinder. I would also only ever work off a good tripod so I'm hoping that shutter vibration won't bean issue. From memory, the old 645 had the best mirror damping system by a long way.

Jeff:

Like you, I prefer the optical finder. I hadn't used LV until I had a Z and I find it very useful for close shots where I thought I was in focus, but LV tells me otherwise. The mirror is not a problem, it's the opening of the first shutter. The speeds of 1/4 to 1/60 can be a disaster. One example: I purchased a used 600mm. My tests at slow shutter speeds (winter, no light) were very discouraging, the images were soft. I tried a few using flash and the images were razor sharp. I have seen a similar result with other lenses as well, particularly those with a tripod mount. I built a support mechanism for use with telephotos to diminish the problem, but high ISO is better.

Tom

Jeffg53

Thanks Tom. I can't see myself going over 200 with a Z. I often used the 210 on the H. Is the shutter an issue on all lenses? Is it able to be avoided? Talking of supports. I'll attach what I ended up with on the H.

Attachments

tsjanik

Thanks Tom. I can't see myself going over 200 with a Z. I often used the 210 on the H. Is the shutter an issue on all lenses? Is it able to be avoided? Talking of supports. I'll attach what I ended up with on the H.
LOL. Here's my device for the 645D.
When the camera is mounted at the tripod, shutter shake is much reduced, but of course that's using shorter focal lengths. Another result of using LV: when I used a Pentax 67, I would put my body weight on the tripod mounted body thinking it would help minimize vibrations. LV show me quite the opposite, better to hang mass on the camera.

_IGP1179 by tsjanik47, on Flickre.

tsjanik

Say “Rube Goldberg” and it will be better understood in North America. :p
Quite right, as I had to look up Heath Robinson. In my defense of what appears to be and over-engineered device, I should mention that the articulated portion attached to the body may appear superfluous, but it allows easy adjustment for use with a extender (as shown) or without.
The full implementation of my stabilizer includes a Manfrotto long lens support. It attaches to a tripod leg and the portrait plate of the camera and prevents motion in the x-y plane. It works, but higher ISO is easier. :D

tsjanik

Would Wallace and Gromit be universal?
Indeed, at least for me. I reluctantly agreed to watch one of the films several years ago (Were-rabbit), it had me laughing out loud :ROTFL:, absolutely hilarious. Thanks for reminding me of Wallace and Gromit Jeff; I just ordered the Matter of Loaf and Death DVD.

Tom

mediumcool

Would Wallace and Gromit be universal?
Probably not; Seppo culture tends to be inward-looking. Perhaps Canadians? :p

Though with the advent of the internet, people can now watch video that was never shown on FTA TV in their own countries. There are Monty Python devotees in the US, I understand. :D

mediumcool

Indeed, at least for me. I reluctantly agreed to watch one of the films several years ago (Were-rabbit), it had me laughing out loud :ROTFL:, absolutely hilarious. Thanks for reminding me of Wallace and Gromit Jeff; I just ordered the Matter of Loaf and Death DVD.

Tom
The Wrong Trousers” [29 minutes] was my first exposure to W&G—as a some-time animation lecturer, I was most impressed by the malevolent beadies of the penguin.

Last edited:

tsjanik

Probably not; Seppo culture tends to be inward-looking. Perhaps Canadians? :p

Though with the advent of the internet, people can now watch video that was never shown on FTA TV in their own countries. There are Monty Python devotees in the US, I understand. :D
Flying Circus was first publically broadcast in the US during the 1970s the movies have always been available. Quotes were quite common among students of my generation, e.g., "..and another minute passed..." during a boring lecture.