The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PENTAX FF - Spring 2016

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The short battery life surprises me. I've shot 2,300 frames with two bars left on the battery display on my D810 two days in a row now, mostly long bursts.

Hulyss Bowman

The short battery life surprises me. I've shot 2,300 frames with two bars left on the battery display on my D810 two days in a row now, mostly long bursts.
Yes me too. Those damn Nikon battery last forever. For the pentax I think it is because of sensor stabilisation, more little battery and all the wifi GPS stuff like in he A7R mark 2 toaster microwave nespresso whatever. This might drain a lot of power. If it is the true battery life WITHOUT all the gadget things then it is probably because the battery is weak or at least not on par with what Canon or Nikon use (or simply a badly managed power consumption).

But hey !! We are looking at the first Full Frame digital camera ever created by Pentax, in a crisis period. The Next one will be better we can easily pardon them for the little flaws :) ESPECIALLY at this price point !!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Yes me too. Those damn Nikon battery last forever. For the pentax I think it is because of sensor stabilisation, more little battery and all the wifi GPS stuff like in he A7R mark 2 toaster microwave nespresso whatever. This might drain a lot of power. If it is the true battery life WITHOUT all the gadget things then it is probably because the battery is weak or at least not on par with what Canon or Nikon use (or simply a badly managed power consumption).

But hey !! We are looking at the first Full Frame digital camera ever created by Pentax, in a crisis period. The Next one will be better we can easily pardon them for the little flaws :) ESPECIALLY at this price point !!
Kind of agree! Especially when one compares this battery life to all the mirrorless camera battery lifes :D

raycox

Short battery life would really surprise me if it is true. I have K5, K3, 645D, 645Z, and all take the same the battery that is listed for the new FF. Even when using live view battery life is very good. Looking forward to the new camera even if it is "10 years too late".
It's a tool folks, use it to best advantage. If it is not your type of tool stop moaning and use what you like. You are starting to sound like a bunch of carpenters talking about hammers!
Another thing that surprises me is the number of women that are producing very good work and are not on these forums discussing the disappointing specs. They seem to be able to use these cameras quite well without all of the moaning.

Hulyss Bowman

Some more specification and a probable price :

- Pixel Shift Resolution and HDR hand held thanks to the superior performance of the new SR system.

- Illumination settings (LCD panel, backside controls, lens mount, card slot/connector).

- Automatic detection of panning by the SR system.

- Automatic horizon correction (up to 1 degree with SR on and up to 2 degrees with SR off).

- Viewfinder overlay with AF points, grid display, electronic level, AF frame, spot metering frame and crop.

Price between 1799$ and 1900$.

Sound good:) He might be launched on market around April, probably the end of April.

It will be a superior landscape camera, probably better then the D810 on some many aspects.

Hulyss Bowman

Some photos of the final beast. Ofc weather sealed like a tank and build like a tank: Magnesium alloy and Stainless steel chassis. Will be the most resilient FF solution of the market.

Last edited:

Charles Wood

It do not film with 4K resolution; just full HD. Anyway, on this forum and other forums, who is equipped with 4K screens + have the serious hardware pipeline to pp 4k video ? Not that much at all. So 4K is actually a geek thing if ppl aren't in the industry. Without speaking about the ppl who have 4K able media support such as TV and computers to appreciate those files fully. I'm in the industry, shoot the latest RED.

4K for amateur is actually a lonely planet vastly debated virtually, on forums, but IRL it not yet there at all. Hell... the MAJORITY of ppl you cross in the street or your favourite grocery store do not even have a gear to run my virtual reality. Note that I crafted it on a SEVEN years old computer and yet, many ppl can't run it because VERY low hardware. So 4K ? It is a niche in the niche. Ok, most buyers of IMac (new) will have access to such resolution, either in 21 or 24... but most ppl aren't in MAC.

Industry try hard to democratize 4K (and even try to make us swallow higher rez such as 6K or 8K) but the reality is that ppl aren't yet equipped.

The truth is ppl today use more their phones than a real DESKTOP.

Just my two pecs. Download my virtual gallery and run it fantastic mode. If no glitches then your computer might be actual and have power enough to cope with 4K raw files (and save you some nights of encoding).

https://www.behance.net/gallery/32387485/CRYO
With all due respect, your analysis of 4K video, at least as far as North America is concerned, is simply wrong. Almost 30% of all screen sizes above 50" being sold today are 4K screens. Critical mass is approaching in terms of 4K penetration. 4K is being streamed by Netflix, Vimeo, YouTube and Amazon. Amazon and Netflix are producing original programming in 4K. HBO has been archiving a substantial amount of programming in 4K to "future proof" it.

4K streamed looks far superior to 1080, especially when viewed on 50" displays or larger. Unfortunately, 1080 as shot and processed in all of the DSLRs on the market is quite poor although acceptable to less critical viewers. True resolution typically falls short of what 1080 is capable of delivering. 1080/720 HD quality is also significantly compromised by cable companies and broadcasters with layers of compression/format changes, by the time the signal is delivered to the consumer. 4K specs that are in the works offer some hope of cleaning up the mess the cable and broadcasters have made of HD, with not only higher resolution, but higher dynamic range, freedom from motion artifacts, wider color gamut with 10 bit processing.

Personally, I've been shooting 4K with a GH4 for a year and a half. This entry level (for 4K) product delivers far better image quality than any broadcast 1080 image. This link provides some additional information about why anyone concerned with image quality should be shooting in 4K, even if you intend to distribute the final product in 1080. And FWIW, and unfortunately, 4K processing in the Pentax K-1 is likely to be nothing more than time lapse 4K, also available in the existing K3 series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIf9h2Gkm_U

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Almost 30% of all screen sizes above 50" being sold today are 4K screens.[/url]
That actually confirms Hulyss' claim. I don't know how often people change their TV screens, but with less than 30% of new screens above 50" being 4K and hardly any of the screens that people already have, it will probably take at least 5-10 years before there's a sufficient number of screens out there to call it a significant number. Add to that the fact that the overwhelming amount of video captured by amateurs still is 1080 or lower, and there's probably little reason for Pentax to worry about this in what is a camera that is mainly designed to produce stills. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't have preferred 4K in the K-1, but for this camera, it's probably not a deal breaker for very many. There will probably be an "s" or "II" model with real 4K out in a couple of years.

Charles Wood

That actually confirms Hulyss' claim. I don't know how often people change their TV screens, but with less than 30% of new screens above 50" being 4K and hardly any of the screens that people already have, it will probably take at least 5-10 years before there's a sufficient number of screens out there to call it a significant number. Add to that the fact that the overwhelming amount of video captured by amateurs still is 1080 or lower, and there's probably little reason for Pentax to worry about this in what is a camera that is mainly designed to produce stills. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't have preferred 4K in the K-1, but for this camera, it's probably not a deal breaker for very many. There will probably be an "s" or "II" model with real 4K out in a couple of years.
US electronics industry trade groups estimate by 2019 45% of US homes will have UHD; 50% by 2020. As I pointed out previously, a major reason for shooting 4K now, is the improved image quality of 4K downrezed to 1080 vs the poorer quality of natively shot 1080.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
US electronics industry trade groups estimate by 2019 45% of US homes will have UHD; 50% by 2020. As I pointed out previously, a major reason for shooting 4K now, is the improved image quality of 4K downrezed to 1080 vs the poorer quality of natively shot 1080.
I agree that it's a good idea to shoot 4K now. However, most people don't care much about the quality of their videos. Trash in 4K doesn't look better than trash in HD :)

Charles Wood

I agree that it's a good idea to shoot 4K now. However, most people don't care much about the quality of their videos. Trash in 4K doesn't look better than trash in HD :)
The same could be said of most people when it comes to still photography, as well. The vast majority of the public can not tell the difference between images created on a $500 camera or a $50K system. OTOH, most of us who frequent photography sites are interested in improving our skills and creating high quality images. :)

Hulyss Bowman

PPl I know in US are not starving but fight everyday with the smile to keep the ball rolling. Buying into 4K display solution is probably the least of their problems :) Like in Europe. We all fight the crisis and this year will be even more grey than the last year. So I would like to say that your numbers sound "extremely optimistic", dear Charles :)

Hulyss Bowman

For now I do not know. But I'm actually mesmerized by the specs and the price :shocked: So efficient, ergonomic and affordable ! For sure Pentax is working on a set of prime and BE sure that third party lenses maker will jump again in the K mount very soon (why not zeiss).

The customizable leds illuminations are the cherry on the top of the cake.

In 6 months / one year this camera will be the bargain of the century.

bensonga

I think that long time Pentax 35mm shooters have finally been well rewarded for their patience and loyalty. It looks like a very capable camera at an exceptionally good price. I know my friend who shoots Pentax is very excited and has already place a pre-order for the K-1. If I hadn't sold all of my Pentax manual focus M-series lenses 20+ years ago, I might have been tempted to buy a K-1 too.

I am surprised at the low price, considering that Ricoh had a largely captive and loyal base of Pentax owners, many of whom have been waiting for this FF DSLR for a very long time. I suppose they figure with a bargain price they will entice a majority of current Pentax users to buy into the FF body and then want/need to buy more FF Pentax lenses to go with it.

I wonder how many new buyers the K-1 will attract to the Pentax brand.

Gary

PS: Nice touch to put a legacy manual focus M-series lens on this promo photo of the K-1. Brings back lots of memories from my Pentax MX system. :)

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The best from Nikon D750 and D810 plus IBIS at a price lower than both? Apart from the battery life, and with a few unknowns like image quality and AF, this must be the best DSLR offering at the moment. A highly desirable camera. Looks cool as well if you ask me. Pity it doesn't come in F-mount :rolleyes: