The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PENTAX FF - Spring 2016

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The D FA lenses are still top notch, I would say much better than many digital era lens pendents - BUT - this is something nice for Pentax shooters who stayed with their equipment (lenses).

I cannot see many migrating (back) to Pentax now who are nicely settles in either CaNikon camp or even Sony FF.

Interesting to see what will happen to this product, how successful it is and how long Ricoh will watch before they step out of this again - just my 5c.

Knorp

In hindsight I think developing another FF DSLR was not a clever move: I'd have liked a FF mirrorless Pentax SL ... :chug:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
In hindsight I think developing another FF DSLR was not a clever move: I'd have liked a FF mirrorless Pentax SL ... :chug:
It's important to remember that the DSLR market is still much larger than the mirrorless market (8.2 vs. 2.7 million units YTD, 31 Oct.). In addition, this will be the only current full frame DSLR with IBIS, unless one counts the 3 years old Sony A99. Add to this the fact that Pentax still has a loyal customer base using K3/5/7 cameras. They are probably competitive with this new camera.

The closest competitor I think will be the D750, and if Pentax has managed to build a more advanced camera than the Nikon but for a similar price... I think it will sell well.

MalcolmP

Looks like there is a bit of movement here in the UK.
A local Pentax dealer is having an open day in about three weeks time. Made significant because they are going to the trouble of hiring a venue as their shop will be closed for re modeling at the time.!
Anyone got a couple of grand spare;)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Although I am not really in the market for another DSLR this camera is very appealing, mainly because of the small size for a FF DSLR and the advantage to use some great and also small FF FA lenses. If the sensors performs equally good or better than the ones in the K5 or K3 this is a great camera.

Maybe could use it as everyday P&S :cool::D

Some more info:

– 36.4MP CMOS sensor. A low-pass-less
– Realistic resolution (pixel shift)
– Image processing engine PRIME IV
– Sensor Size: 35.9 x 24.0mm
– Video is full HD 60p
– 4K interval movie
– 14-bit RAW
– DR II
– KAF2 mount (KAF3, KAF2, KAF, KA, there is compatible with power zoom lens)
– AF sensor SAFOX12. AF point is 33 points (25 points are cross-type). -3EV Correspondence
– AF assist light
– Viewfinder magnification 0.70 times. 100% field of view
– Focusing screen Natural-Bright-Matte III
– LCD monitor 3.2 inches 1,037,000 dot. Flexible tilting
– GPS built-in. Wi-Fi built-in
– Shutter unit of the compact new design. Durability is 300,000 times
– Shutter speed is 30 seconds -1/8000 seconds. Synchro speed is 1/200 sec
– Media SD / SDHC / SDXC (UHS-I). Dual card slot
– USB terminal (USB2.0, micro B), HDMI terminal (type D)
– Microphone jack, a headphone jack, X contact
– 5-axis camera shake correction. Shutter five stages of effect
– Electronic Level
– Photometry sensor 86000 pixel RGB sensor
– ISO range is 100-204800
– Continuous shooting 4.4 frames / sec (full size). 6.5 frames / sec. (APS-C)
– The number of pictures 70 sheets in the JPEG, 17 shots at the RAW (when full-size 4.4 frames / sec.)
– The battery is D-LI90
– Battery life is 760 sheets
– The body is magnesium alloy and stainless steel. Dust and water. -10 Degrees of resistance to low temperature
– Size: 136.5 x110 x 85.5mm
– Weight: 925g

The most interesting part is the upcoming camera will feature 4K video recording and also features 5 axis built in image stabilization system.

baudolino

Didn't they just discontinue some of the limited series FF lenses? I remember reading this info about the 43/1.9 which was my favourite in the line-up. Plus there seem to be discounts available now for many of the small/prime Pentax lenses. Could it be that the current limiteds are not good enough for the 36MP sensor and may all be discontinued soon? What will remain then, I wonder, of the size/weight advantage of the new body, if it requires new and much bigger lenses (as is now the trend)? Or will Pentax replace the limiteds with improved versions, with similar size and weight? I'll continue monitoring this space from my momentarily safe position on the fence, with special focus on the roadmap that they've signalled together with the K-1 announcement.

Well still remains to be seen.

I'm just a camera fan of any brand. I think Pentax has to dedicate more time and investment on lenses.

Hulyss Bowman

Yea the specs are cool. Now the Pixel shift tech going FF and thus being more democratized some may say good by to Sigma Foveon advantage. I have seen results of pixel shift technology out of the K3II and, while nobody seems or want to compare, those results exceed Foveon technology AT LEAST by one parsec.

Can't imagine the full RGB IQ out of 36.4 MP Full Frame pixel Shift... It will blow away anything Sigma did... for static subjects. Anyway, Sigma is so slouch that it is made almost only for static subject so...

I think that ppl waiting for a Full Frame Sigma camera might blindly go the Pentax way without worrying that much about the future. Sigma won't revolution the camera industry any time soon. If Sigma make a REAL foveon Full Frame it will be very expensive. The pentax will not be expensive, will give you Dynamic range, accurate focus, video, lenses superior to Sigma (soul), full frame foV and "beyond foveon" IQ with pixel shift.

Ok it will not be a war machine like a D5 and will not have the Canikon lenses line but it will be a superior camera, fo sure.

Lets wait and see samples.

V

Vivek

I won't buy it even if I had no camera. This is 10 years too late.

Charles Wood

Some more info:

The most interesting part is the upcoming camera will feature 4K video recording and also features 5 axis built in image stabilization system.
I believe the 4K function is time-lapse recording and output in a 3840x2160 format, not true 4K real time video. That was the approach in the K3 with 4K video.

Knorp

I would most certainly buy one if I still had all my FF lenses ... :cry:
On paper it seems to be a great camera.

Hulyss Bowman

It do not film with 4K resolution; just full HD. Anyway, on this forum and other forums, who is equipped with 4K screens + have the serious hardware pipeline to pp 4k video ? Not that much at all. So 4K is actually a geek thing if ppl aren't in the industry. Without speaking about the ppl who have 4K able media support such as TV and computers to appreciate those files fully. I'm in the industry, shoot the latest RED.

4K for amateur is actually a lonely planet vastly debated virtually, on forums, but IRL it not yet there at all. Hell... the MAJORITY of ppl you cross in the street or your favourite grocery store do not even have a gear to run my virtual reality. Note that I crafted it on a SEVEN years old computer and yet, many ppl can't run it because VERY low hardware. So 4K ? It is a niche in the niche. Ok, most buyers of IMac (new) will have access to such resolution, either in 21 or 24... but most ppl aren't in MAC.

Industry try hard to democratize 4K (and even try to make us swallow higher rez such as 6K or 8K) but the reality is that ppl aren't yet equipped.

The truth is ppl today use more their phones than a real DESKTOP.

Just my two pecs. Download my virtual gallery and run it fantastic mode. If no glitches then your computer might be actual and have power enough to cope with 4K raw files (and save you some nights of encoding).

https://www.behance.net/gallery/32387485/CRYO

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am so heavily invested in Nikon FF now that this camera comes far too late for me, even if it rings a lot of bells and whistles ;)

4K though is good for one thing - at least you know that your camera has a fast processing engine and pipeline, so this speed will help in general. But I agree that I would not even want to think about all the necessary upgrades I need for a consistent 4K pipeline :eek:

Hulyss Bowman

I am so heavily invested in Nikon FF now that this camera comes far too late for me, even if it rings a lot of bells and whistles ;)

4K though is good for one thing - at least you know that your camera has a fast processing engine and pipeline, so this speed will help in general. But I agree that I would not even want to think about all the necessary upgrades I need for a consistent 4K pipeline :eek:
Same here, to much other gear and my needs are covered but I salute what Pentax performed here; this is very courageous and, like others, I would recommend this camera to every body who have not yet invested into FF lenses and body.