The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PENTAX FF - Spring 2016

k-hawinkler

@ k-hawinkler:

Only what I have read; the 'Limiteds" (31, 43, and 77, IIRC) have been praised by many.

For me personally, the 45mm FOV is the best of the 'all-purpose' focal lengths, so 43 is close enough. And it's a pancake, pretty much (will sit more shallowly than the leading edge of the grip); not sure about with the hood on.

Re. OVFs: who can remember what the OM1 and OM2 were in daily use? Spectacular, and immersive, is what I recall. And this new Pentax has 100%.

The only downside for me is that the K1 does not have a silent mode; this will likely be a sticking point for me. I have found the completely silent µ4/3rds bodies have let me work in many places a camera with any kind of shutter souund would have not.

Many thanks Kit. Much apprecited.
I like using the silent shutter on my µ4/3rds bodies as well.
After just a couple of minutes our grandchildren are ignoring the camera. :thumbs:
BTW, I used the Nocticron at f/1.2 in bright daylight. No problem.
A shutter speed of 16000 makes that possible without a neutral density filter. :grin:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Re. OVFs: who can remember what the OM1 and OM2 were in daily use? Spectacular, and immersive, is what I recall. And this new Pentax has 100%.
While the OM-1 viewfinder was indeed enormous at 0.92x magnification, it wasn't very bright, and I must admit that I'm somewhat disappointed every time I look through it these days. I have a feeling that around 0.75x, that was achieved by Sony with the A900 and Canon with the later 1D models is a good compromise. 0.7x is on the low side, but Nikon isn't much larger. It's not something that would keep me awake at night.

UHDR

I spent abit of time reading more about the sensor shift tech in pentax. it turns out, the K3II already have some of this tech. The Pixel Shift Resolution mode creates 100 MB files, so i wonder how big the 36MP files are!!

I came across this taiwanese site and it does have some interesting comparison between normal shot and noise reduction/detail enhancement. please be aware, this link may not be 100% safe for your workplace (got some models in it)
http://www.mobile01.com/newsdetail.php?id=17388

while it is clear the fine details are much better with the tech turned on, but it does lack the bite of a feveon merrill file. may be it's down to the lens. :grin: more research required!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am not very interested in any of these high res shoot modes, not from The Pentax K1 nor from any of the Olympus cameras (I think EM5II and PenF).

If I really would want higher resolution I would go for another camera, giving me that resolution natively - but maybe that's only me :cool:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
While the OM-1 viewfinder was indeed enormous at 0.92x magnification, it wasn't very bright, and I must admit that I'm somewhat disappointed every time I look through it these days. I have a feeling that around 0.75x, that was achieved by Sony with the A900 and Canon with the later 1D models is a good compromise. 0.7x is on the low side, but Nikon isn't much larger. It's not something that would keep me awake at night.
I must agree WRT OM-1 and OM-2 (which has the same OVF) - they are big, but not very bright, actually producing a pretty "grainy" image. One of the best OVFs was the one in the Leica SL2, followed by the Contax RTSIII and the Sony A900 - these are (were) really TOP! Everything else is just not the same quality and in many cases will likely be soon outperformed by good EVFs (aka Leica SL) and maybe hopefully Olympus EM1mark2).

Hulyss Bowman

I am not very interested in any of these high res shoot modes
It is not a High res shoot mode it stay a 36 MP file but full RGB thus increasing the visual resolution and colour rendition beyond what can do conventional 36Mp sensors, even surpassing what can do 42 Mp sensors easily.

BREAKING NEW :

Pentax will certainly announce a new FA limited lenses road map next week at CP+

One one hand I'm a bit disappointed:
- USB2 why? but maybe I wil transfer all files through WiFi
- 33 x AF and only in middle of frame? (but still it is APS-C size) but more cross points than D810.
- OVF x0,7 but still is the same as in D4
- Paint Paint will be better that on Ricoh GR K5 or FA lenses.

I love some small things:
- Place for plugs in grip.
- lights - Love idea of lens light. I love making concert photos and sometimes finding proper lens position is pain in the.

As I have short budget, I choose pentax system years ago.
So now I'm ready for K1.
Driven by GAS I recently bought Tamron 300 2.8 60B and Pentax AF 1.7 Adapter (total cost 900$). With K1 It will give me 510 mm f/4.5 setup with AF and with SR (preorder in Poland 2270$). So total cost is about 3200$.
Sigma 500 4.5 cost 5000$ Beat that :).

bensonga

I've been reading about Pentax's "pixel shift resolution" technology. It looks pretty impressive in the APS-C 24mp K-3II, putting it roughly on par with a D810. Should be even more impressive in the K-1.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-k3-ii/pentax-k3-iiTECH2.HTM

The comparison between the K-3II and the 645z at the end was interesting. I imagine the K-1 will come even closer to the 645z IQ, at least in recording fine details.

Impressive stuff indeed.

Gary

AlexLF

I've never had Pentax but I remember when I was in my 20's I really wanted MF Pentax camera (6x7 as far as I remember) :) Now, when I'm not that young :) the K-1 looks really tasty for my landscape needs. In an ideal world I'd really put Zeiss Otus' on it but that is 1) big unknown if Zeiss would do it and 2) that's EXPENSIVE. The latter is doable though with some time and effort. So, I know Zeiss and Pentax are reading this, so give us a hint please!

I'll wait for more info though to see real reviews and then decide. Overall, 36mpix is enough for me and having all these sensor-related features I'm really tempted. Also, let's see what lens line up will look like.

Godfrey

@ k-hawinkler:

Only what I have read; the 'Limiteds" (31, 43, and 77, IIRC) have been praised by many.

For me personally, the 45mm FOV is the best of the 'all-purpose' focal lengths, so 43 is close enough. And it's a pancake, pretty much (will sit more shallowly than the leading edge of the grip); not sure about with the hood on.
As a "once upon a time" Pentax-using pro shooter, and with a 'relationship' with Pentax USA as well, I probably owned and used about three dozen Pentax lenses of all ages over a four-five year time period.

The original Limited lenses (FA 43mm f/1.9, FA 31mm f/1.8, and FA 77mm f/1.8) were all quite good, although I was never so fond of the 31mm as the other two. The FA77 was quite a wonderful lens, but the 43mm is just special. When I bought a K-01 last year, I immediately bought another 43 Limited to use with it. And it's the only Pentax lens that I could see buying an adapter for to use with the SL. The FA43mm Limited is just that good.

Pentax sold it as a truly "limited edition" Limited in Leica thread mount with RF coupling and dedicated optical viewfinder because of the demand for it. It's that good.

I wouldn't exactly call it a "pancake" lens. It's more akin to the Mandler design Summilux 35mm f/1.4 v2 for Leica M in size and overall shape. It's a near-symmetrical design and relatively short because the SLR body is deep.

The FA43 is my personal favorite Pentax lens... I essentially bought the K-01 just to have a native body to use it on, and re-bought the lens since I'd sold my original copy when I opted out of Pentax equipment some time back. :)

Oh yeah ... K-1 ... Looks nice, typically Pentax it jams a lot of stuff in for the money. I don't know what the big deal with that wacky LCD articulation mechanism is all about, looks too complicated and fussy to me. But otherwise, if you've got good Pentax lenses, it should be a good camera.

G

AlexLF

I wonder how's this pixel shift mode works on landscapes, assuming camera is on tripod and grass or any other landscape-related objects move slightly... I guess such landscapes should look pretty good.

Ulfric Douglas

I don't think there is "behind the scene deals" between Ricoh and Sony. Ricoh have nothing to envies to Sony or other big guys in photo industry. Ricoh is a HUGE company. I think that if Ricoh want to do something they just do it..
I disagree.
They are Japanses companies with overlapping fields of interest.
Ergo. Deals.

Of course what I said will either appear or not and whether I'm right or not will be plain in about ... maybe four months.
Why else would sony, with their new scaled-up Olympus stabilisation in their A7 models, not have migrated it quickly into an A900/A99 sucessor?
The reason is the Pentax K-1.

AlexLF

I actually asked Zeiss if they're going to produce Otus' for Pentax. They said if K-1 "if Pentax will reach similar market share like Canon and Nikon". Well, I hope so. Camera looks good, at least on paper.