The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PENTAX FF - Spring 2016

Knorp

I always liked the colours I got from my K5IIs.
Pentax sure has a special way for delivering the goods.
The K1 seems no exception.

tsjanik

Why do I suspect you may rejoin Pentax Bart?:)

I must say I did not follow the development of the FF Pentax with much interest. I had convinced myself that a Sony was in my future. Now I'm not so sure, if the Pentax lives up to its specs, it will be the most capable FF body for my applications; it would be nice if it were smaller, but the pixel shift is really appealing.

Tom

Last edited:

Hulyss Bowman

Why do suspect you may rejoin Pentax Bart?:)

I must say I did not follow the development of the FF Pentax with much interest. I had convinced myself that a Sony was in my future. Now I'm not so sure, if the Pentax lives up to its specs, it will be the most capable FF body for my applications; it would be nice if it were smaller, but the pixel shift is really appealing.

Tom
Sony ? FUTURE ?

I follow Sony since the Walkman, listening Dire Straits, Tubeway Army and Pink Floyd while going to school in the train. Sony was, year after year, deception. At a TV level we got the famous "trinitron", fragile TV. Then I started to have interest in sound and even crafted my own speakers and filters. Sony amplifiers was and are pure sh*@t. An empty box compared to Onkio, technics, marantz, Mad ...

Overall, Sony was just about profit and consumer products, not prosumer products and never been pro level. They are late on the photography world too. Pure electronic without any "cachet". Other brand value the mix beteween analogic and electronic and make refined products. For 3000 US$ the A7RMKII iron man hiped camera is all but not a refined product at all (even if they try hard).

The only Sony camera I value and respect is the RX1 and the RX1r. The "mark II" is just a way to milk ppl and add nothing; only fragility.

So yes, I would understand Bart if he go the inexpensive Pentax way. He will had story to tell and superb lenses to chase. The fun into the fun.

tsjanik

Hulyss:

I'm gently teasing Bart; he was a great contributor to the K-3 thread until his equipment was stolen, I'd like to see him return.

I've never used a Sony camera, all I know is from what I've read and a lot of posters like a A7 rII. I did look through one of their EVF a few years ago and didn't care for it at all, but I've read they are better now. I need a smaller camera, the Sony looked like a solution; the K-1 looks better for me, even if not so compact.

Tom

turtle

I think this camera is the middle part of a much bigger impact Pentax could have on the market and blogged about why I think that here. The beginning was the 645D and Z.

I still think that Sony is the technology innovator, but Pentax is a great technology integrator. They make supremely well thought out practical cameras. Just ask Ricoh GR and 645Z users. Personally, I own both of these cameras and think they set a comfortably higher standard in feel and user interface terms than Canon/Nikon.

With Canon in sensor la-la-land and the potential for the 5D IV to cost almost twice the K-1, I may even consider getting rid of all my Canon SLR bodies and little used lenses and moving to Pentax for my DSLR needs, assuming there is good progress on lenses (pentax and third party). This has the advantage of making the interface of my DSLR close to that of my 645Z (at present, the Canon and Pentax are very different). I had been thinking of a move to Nikon, but Pentax would make more sense when seen in this regard.

I think there is a good chance there will be a Mk II with the 42 MP BSI sensor and/or a lower priced 24MP model with higher frame rate.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Is anyone else thinking OM lenses on this beast?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/995308-REG/fotodiox_om_pk_g_olympus_zuiko_lens_to.html

I used to shoot dance and theatre professionally, with manual Nikon and Leica glass – but my eyes were younger then?

Just a thought; I would want the Pentax Limiteds (the 43 and the 77) but I do have quite a few of the good OM lenses in the cupboard. I had been waiting until the A7r Mk ii prices plummet sufficiently (MF is much easier with all the current aids, and an EVF) but this body is an alternative, bar one aspect: no silent shutter.

V

Vivek

I had been waiting until the A7r Mk ii prices plummet sufficiently (MF is much easier with all the current aids, and an EVF) but this body is an alternative, bar one aspect: no silent shutter.
Hi Kit,

You are wrong about the "bar one aspect"

1. No easy accurate focusing (it is a DSLR with an OVF!)
2. You need an adapter with a glass correction element.

There is simply no comparison to the A7R II. Wait for the price drop and get one of that. Practically useful.

lambert

Sony ? FUTURE ?

Overall, Sony was just about profit and consumer products, not prosumer products and never been pro level.
This might be news to you but every company is "about profit". In terms of what is defined as pro level or not, well that is up to the pro to determine. If a pro chooses to use an A7RII and achieves his desired outcome, then this makes his choice pro level.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Is anyone else thinking OM lenses on this beast?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/995308-REG/fotodiox_om_pk_g_olympus_zuiko_lens_to.html

I used to shoot dance and theatre professionally, with manual Nikon and Leica glass – but my eyes were younger then?

Just a thought; I would want the Pentax Limiteds (the 43 and the 77) but I do have quite a few of the good OM lenses in the cupboard. I had been waiting until the A7r Mk ii prices plummet sufficiently (MF is much easier with all the current aids, and an EVF) but this body is an alternative, bar one aspect: no silent shutter.
This is the way to do it:

http://leitax.com/OlympusOM-lens-for-Pentax-cameras.html

algrove

Hi Kit,

You are wrong about the "bar one aspect"

1. No easy accurate focusing (it is a DSLR with an OVF!)
2. You need an adapter with a glass correction element.

There is simply no comparison to the A7R II. Wait for the price drop and get one of that. Practically useful.
Vivek you get AF confirmation by way of a red dot where you have set or want AF. Same with the 645Z-works extremely well.

V

Vivek

Lou, i think the discussion centered around the use of OM lenses. No AF.

Anyway, speaking of AF, it is possible to press manual OM lenses (I plan to very soon)to AF on a Sony camera via the new Techarat adapter. :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
As much as I love my old OM-lenses, I don't see the Pentax as the best vehicle for those lenses. Partly, there are several Pentax lenses that are as small as, as good as or better than the Zuikos and partly, any A7 or an A6300 would be an easier solution for those lenses. I've been holding on to the Zuiko glass for too long myself, and might do that forever, since those are the lenses that have followed me through all of my photographic life. Also, the OM-2 with the 50mm f/1.2 loaded with HP5 is strategically placed next to my entrance door. That's the camera that I grab when I'm just going out to take some photos for fun. Not every week, but often enough :)