The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PENTAX FF - Spring 2016

iiiNelson

If multishot - AKA sensor shift, AKA pixel shift - as been properly implemented, you can expect close to double the resolution compared to single shot mode. A 36mp sensor in multi shot should thus equate to roughly around 60-70mp in single shot.

Better hope the lenses are up to it.
I believe that Pentax is using Pixel shift to create a composite image that remains at 36 megapixels instead of creating a ~90 megapixel image. The point of their pixel shift is to get a read out of every element of the scene by at least one RGB pixel under the Bayer filter then create a composite 36 megapixel image from all read outs.

This creates more accurate and sharper images... Not too different to how some have used a panchromatic version of a scene blended with a color version of the same scene to increase perceived sharpness.

tsjanik

I believe that Pentax is using Pixel shift to create a composite image that remains at 36 megapixels instead of creating a ~90 megapixel image. The point of their pixel shift is to get a read out of every element of the scene by at least one RGB pixel under the Bayer filter then create a composite 36 megapixel image from all read outs.

This creates more accurate and sharper images... Not too different to how some have used a panchromatic version of a scene blended with a color version of the same scene to increase perceived sharpness.
Correct, the composite image remains at 36 MP. As I understand it, in shift mode each pixel is exposed four times, twice through the green filter and once each through red and blue, measuring RGB vales at every pixel. The advantage of the Foveon achieved by a different mechanism.

Quentin_Bargate

Exactly. What I should have written in my original message is double the effective resolution, because the result is a much sharper image free of moiré that, scaled up, will almost be a match for single shot with double the pixels. The same is true of 4 shot multishot with a Hasselblad H5D multishot camera. With multishot, the image is still 50mp, same as single shot capture, but bayer interpolation has been eliminated and true RGB info gereated at each pixel. Looks like the Pentax works in a similar way.

Paratom

The multishotsamples are really impressive.( One could also say its impresive how washed out the fabric from the single/normal shot looks after seeing the multishot image.)
I am loking forward to see more real world images from this camera. Even though I am comitted to other brands systems and not planning to switch, the K1 looks like an impressive camera.

algrove

The multishotsamples are really impressive.( One could also say its impresive how washed out the fabric from the single/normal shot looks after seeing the multishot image.)
I am loking forward to see more real world images from this camera. Even though I am comitted to other brands systems and not planning to switch, the K1 looks like an impressive camera.
Perhaps we can adapt our 645Z lenses to the K-1.

I have pre-ordered the Pentax K1... I have not told my wife.

Though I should have saved the $1800 I could not talk myself out of the Pentax K1. It has everything I have been wanting from Pentax: Full Frame, GPS, Astrotracer, swivel/articulated LCD, better resolution, higher ISO capability...and.. well, most of you already know this stuff.

I already have the Three Amigos: 31mm, 43mm and 77mm Limited Lenses.. ready to go when the K1 arrives early in May... (delivery date is according to B&H staffer I spoke with.)

I love the fact that my DA* lenses will also work in cropped mode. Not sure I can think of anything else to ask for from the K1.... except maybe incredible low noise.

It's going to be fun. I've not updated my Pentax body since the K5 IIs

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Congratulations Jim. I will be looking forward very much to hearing your thoughts on actually using this (and great lens choice, too).

I found out yesterday that the local (Australian) cost of the K-1 is very reasonable (US dollar price > converted to Aussie dollars > GST on top is within a hundred bucks of the US price). We pay GST on any service or goods, and if you have a GST-registered business like I do, you get this back).

Excellent decision by Pentax. The 43 is all I need (or perhaps the FA 50/1.4). May is so far away... :)

MalcolmP

Hi,
I popped into a local camera shop yesterday and they said that they have so many pre order's of the K1 that they do not expect to be able to fulfill them all with the first batch of cameras! And furthermore their projected second consignment will probably not be enough as to be able to put stock on the shelf!
They are a Pentax pro dealer LCE branch fwiw and obviously I don't know the numbers or how this reflects in the wider world .
I personally don't plan to be an early adopter so not an issue for me but I am very pleased to hear that this camera has a fighting chance comercialy and from everything I've learnt pre release it deserves to be imho.
Regards
Malcolm.

Charles Wood

A UK review posted high ISO downloadable files yesterday. They looked pretty stunning. The DR and ability to recover shadow detail pretty much seems to meet expectations and be a close match to the 645Z. The K1, with it's unique feature set, has the potential to cause some major ripples in the landscape and studio DSLR market just as the 645Z did with the DMF market.

Michiel Schierbeek

A UK review posted high ISO downloadable files yesterday. They looked pretty stunning. The DR and ability to recover shadow detail pretty much seems to meet expectations and be a close match to the 645Z. The K1, with it's unique feature set, has the potential to cause some major ripples in the landscape and studio DSLR market just as the 645Z did with the DMF market.
It certainly is and interesting an remarkable camera. I saw some stunning photographs with it . I like the sturdyness of it and it is reasonable small as well!
Also it is not expensive, but the thing is I only have one lens in K mount (Revuenon 55/1.2). The rebadged Tamron 15-30 seems to be the best dslr wide zoom at the moment, so that combo would be interesting for me, because I can't go wider as 35mm with my Z with my lenses. I am covered with the Z till 200mm, so a telezoom would also interest me. And I would even try the Samyang 24mm TS lens with it. Food for thoughts......
I could leitax a lot of my C/Y lenses and use it with the Pentax focus conformation beeb like the Z does...... 18/4, 28/2.8, 35/2.8, 50/1.4, 85/2.8, 100/3.5 hum...... I could even put a M42 mount on the Planar 100/2 and the Distagon 35/1.4 and use a whole lot of M42 lenses on it.....

I do even know a shop around the corner who has them in stock.......

Quentin_Bargate

Is this the spiritual successor to the Sigma DP2 Merrill (size excepted)?

It's all about pixel shift.

I have no Pentax lenses but I have ordered a K1 to try, along with the budget 50mm F/1.8. I don't know why pixel shift is not the headline story, because using pixel shift transforms this from an interesting camera to a high resolution, low noise, moire free phenomenon.

I really hate bayer interpolation, It sucks the life out of shots. That's why I so loved the Merrills.

It follows that for me, this camera is a godsend.