Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with images taken with the Pentax K1

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with images taken with the Pentax K1

Quote Originally Posted by mjr View Post
    Morning

This is definitely looking like an interesting camera, lenses bother me a little as I like to shoot fast primes given the chance, have any of you guys shot portraits with it yet? Quentin, would the 100 macro handle head shots ok? I really don't know anything about the Pentax lenses but this is tempting as a backup cam, even more so if high ISO is decent. The only think putting me off at the moment is the lack of a fast 85 or 135 for tighter portrait stuff.

Have a good weekend.

Mat
    Wide angle primes is a problem. And the old ones are very very rare.
    There is a black 20mm FA, the 31 Limited and a silver SMC Pentax-FA * IF AL 24mm F2
    For portraits there are, besides may be the 100 and the older SMC Pentax-FA * IF 85mm F1.4, only manuel portrait lenses.
    The Samyang 135/2 seems to be outstanding and not expensive. The Samyang 85/1.4 does not have very good reviews.
    Oh I forgot there is the older Sigma AF 85/1.4
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Morning

This is definitely looking like an interesting camera, lenses bother me a little as I like to shoot fast primes given the chance, have any of you guys shot portraits with it yet? Quentin, would the 100 macro handle head shots ok? I really don't know anything about the Pentax lenses but this is tempting as a backup cam, even more so if high ISO is decent. The only think putting me off at the moment is the lack of a fast 85 or 135 for tighter portrait stuff.

Have a good weekend.

Mat
    77mm f/1.8 Limited?
    Things I sell: Stock photography by Jorgen Udvang at Alamy

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    77mm f/1.8 Limited?
    Yes of course! A wonderfull lens.

What we need is that Sigma makes there Art FF lenses ASAP available in (the right) K mount.
    Then most of our problems are solved.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks both

I think if the sensor is as good as people are saying then it really needs something like a Zeiss 135f2 or Otus or similar with really good optics to make the most of it, I would be using it for work and would much prefer to buy high quality lenses new for it than trawl classifieds for legacy glass, there's a degree of security when it needs to work if I can go back to a dealer. Not worried about wides to be honest, would just like a capable camera for lower light stuff. I will have a read up of whats available in a K mount but it may make more sense just to go with a D810 knowing there is plenty of fine glass already available.

Looking forward to seeing how the 100 performs on portraits, it may do the job.

Mat

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Due to lack of wide angles I tryed the Cosinon 24/2.8. Not a great lens but usable for some stuff.

Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks both

I think if the sensor is as good as people are saying then it really needs something like a Zeiss 135f2 or Otus or similar with really good optics to make the most of it, I would be using it for work and would much prefer to buy high quality lenses new for it than trawl classifieds for legacy glass, there's a degree of security when it needs to work if I can go back to a dealer. Not worried about wides to be honest, would just like a capable camera for lower light stuff. I will have a read up of whats available in a K mount but it may make more sense just to go with a D810 knowing there is plenty of fine glass already available.

Looking forward to seeing how the 100 performs on portraits, it may do the job.

Mat
    The 77mm is a current lens, and one of the first I would buy for a K-1:

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.uk/en/pr...to-Lenses.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...7mm_f_1_8.html

Hopefully, Zeiss starts making the Milvus lenses in K-mount. Some of the older ZK lenses are still available new from dealers:

http://kakaku.com/camera/camera-lens...pdf_Spec103=26
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Michiel, Congrats! I have a (M42) Biotar 75/1.5 that you are welcome to use.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mmmm... thank you Vivek!

This portrait could have more character with that lens.

This is with the M 100/2.8 (wide open)

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This one is a bit sharper (stopped down)

Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Any suggestions for an adapter that would allow me to use my Nikon mount Otus lens on the Pentax K-1? I just ordered a K-1 because I've been blown away by the image quality but I'm new to the Pentax system and could use some guidance.

Not sure of what native Pentax lenses meet the high quality of the Zeiss lenses but I'm looking forward to trying.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Derek

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ddanois View Post
    Any suggestions for an adapter that would allow me to use my Nikon mount Otus lens on the Pentax K-1? I just ordered a K-1 because I've been blown away by the image quality but I'm new to the Pentax system and could use some guidance.

Not sure of what native Pentax lenses meet the high quality of the Zeiss lenses but I'm looking forward to trying.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Derek
    Leitax seems to be working on Pentax mounts for the Zeiss in nikon mount lenses, but I don't think/know if the Otus series will be part of it. You can contact him and ask.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A portrait lens is the main missing item, but Sigma should step up this autumn, although whether for the K mount is unclear.

Morning

Have a good weekend.

Mat
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My happiness would be complete if Zeiss started making their lenses available in the K mount.
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    Leitax seems to be working on Pentax mounts for the Zeiss in nikon mount lenses, but I don't think/know if the Otus series will be part of it. You can contact him and ask.
    thanks for the feedback. I know that the Leitax approach requires physically changing the mount so does that mean that there is a flange distance problem that prohibits a simple adapter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The white is not blown out colour, but natural variation in the rose.

The K1 gives the best colour of any digital camera I have used, including Hasselblad.
    Last edited by Quentin_Bargate; 4th June 2016 at 15:41.
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Simply outstanding, Quentin!
    thorkil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post

The white is not blown out colour, but natural variation in the rose.

The K1 give the best colour of any digital camera I have used, including Hasselblad.
    Great Pics Quentin! Now that you've been using the K1 for a bit, what's your suggestion regarding lenses?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great Pics Quentin! Now that you've been using the K1 for a bit, what's your suggestion regarding lenses?
    Its a head scratcher, because I know (or knew) nothing about Pentax lenses before the K1.

I strongly recommend the Pentax 100mm F/2.8 macro. It's screw drive focus, but that's a detail. Small, sharp very good lens. Works very well with the K1. Love it.

The Sigma 35mm F/1.4 is also very good.

Don't bother with the 24-70mm F/2.8. It is not up to the job.

Just purchased a Pentax 15-30mm F/2.8. Jury is out on that one. It a lot better than the 24-70mm, but that doesn't say much. Will revert later on that,

Tried the old classic, the FA* 85mm F1.4, but it's an old lens that has passed its prime now (please forgive the pun). Pretty good, but dodgy focus and too much longitudinal CA.

Pentax have spent so long on APS-C that they dropped the ball on new full frame lenses. They badly need to catch up.
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thanks for the feedback. I know that the Leitax approach requires physically changing the mount so does that mean that there is a flange distance problem that prohibits a simple adapter?
    The Pentax flange distance is only 1 mm shorter (45.46 vs. 46.5 mm on Nikon), so an adapter is not realistic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Warning: don't rely on autofocus with the 15-30mm Pentax, it's wildly inaccurate. That seems to have been my problem with the lens. It focusses too close by some way. Who knew?!
    Quentin Bargate

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Warning: don't rely on autofocus with the 15-30mm Pentax, it's wildly inaccurate. That seems to have been my problem with the lens. It focusses too close by some way. Who knew?!
    That is bad news Quentin! I am seriously thinking about this lens. Can't you correct it? I could not find the tool for it; whatever the name was..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is bad news Quentin! I am seriously thinking about this lens. Can't you correct it? I could not find the tool for it; whatever the name was..

Michiel,

I have been working to fix the issue today and I think I have.

The lens has very little throw. Between 1 meter and infinity it's just a short turn of the focussing ring

The problem is that the phase detection autofocus with the lens focuses far too close, in front of the subject, if not adjusted. The problem is not there with contrast detection, of if you focus manually using live view.

I have dialled in -7 in the fine adjustment and that seems to fix the problem (for my copy of the lens), but better still, use contrast focus with live view.

Good lens if you do!

Good job I spent some time fixing the issue, as I have purchased the Lee Filter 150 system and Lee Tamron sized filter holder (same as the Pentax, unsurprisingly). Thought I'd wasted my money
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A portrait lens is the main missing item, but Sigma should step up this autumn, although whether for the K mount is unclear.
    Lovely images you are posting Quentin.
    I wonder why you appear to dismiss the 77mm for portraits. I've never owned one, but given its reputation, I would assume it to be a logical choice.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    Lovely images you are posting Quentin.
    I wonder why you appear to dismiss the 77mm for portraits. I've never owned one, but given its reputation, I would assume it to be a logical choice.

Tom
    Tom,

My knowledge of Pentax lenses is somewhat limited. I will have a look at the 77mm, might be a good choice
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Last edited by Quentin_Bargate; 5th June 2016 at 15:24.
    Quentin Bargate
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Michiel,

I have been working to fix the issue today and I think I have.

The lens has very little throw. Between 1 meter and infinity it's just a short turn of the focussing ring

The problem is that the phase detection autofocus with the lens focuses far too close, in front of the subject, if not adjusted. The problem is not there with contrast detection, of if you focus manually using live view.

I have dialled in -7 in the fine adjustment and that seems to fix the problem (for my copy of the lens), but better still, use contrast focus with live view.

Good lens if you do!

Good job I spent some time fixing the issue, as I have purchased the Lee Filter 150 system and Lee Tamron sized filter holder (same as the Pentax, unsurprisingly). Thought I'd wasted my money
    Yes that's what I mean Fine adjustment, I looked for it for a moment but could not find it. I am glad the possibility is there.
    And as Tjanik says, a portrait lens is not the problem with the FA limited 77. I have seen wonderful work with it.
    And the 31 is a great lens as well. Together with the 43 limited they call it the holy trinity.
    Problem is they don't come cheap. I have to wait a little, need to sell some other lenses first to fund new ones. Don't want to spend more money on photo stuff for a while.
    Looking forward to your first (city) outing with the 15-30!

I have been playing with the Voigtländer Ultron 40 aspherical 40/2 SL. I think I like it. It is a A lens and it is really small. Nice walk around lens.
    I must say; the focus beeb works faster as focus peaking, but I knew that already from 645Z.
    Once again, they are discontinued. Cameraquest seems to be the only place who has a few new ones left.

Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Michiel

You last shot is oddly worrying, in a good way!

Disturbing but distant...
    Quentin Bargate

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another one with the same lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Reminds me of Salvador Dali; where is this place??

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exquisite Quentin!, specially this one. Did you wait for windless and did the pixelshift? What are yours pp then? (Its the 100 macro I guess?)
    And Cadeau to your wife for her gardening!
    Thorkil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Thorkil

Ahh, glad you noticed It's by a pond where light filters through leaves on surrounding shrubs and some light dapples the foreground. I took a number of shots of this candelabra primula just an the afternoon sun caught it. Much as I love pixel shift, it really cannot be used for hand held botanical macro work.
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Thorkil

Ahh, glad you noticed It's by a pond where light filters through leaves on surrounding shrubs and some light dapples the foreground. I took a number of shots of this candelabra primula just an the afternoon sun caught it. Much as I love pixel shift, it really cannot be used for hand held botanical macro work.
    Hi Quentin...okay, without pixelshift, and handheld, I do think it looks even more impressive! well done.
    thorkil
    Ps. I guess stabilization then is a great bonus

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    Hi Quentin...okay, without pixelshift, and handheld, I do think it looks even more impressive! well done.
    thorkil
    Ps. I guess stabilization then is a great bonus
    Thanks, and yes it is useful to have stabilization but its hit and miss whether its truly sharp, and focussed on the right spot. This was one of about 20 attempts... The K1 has excellent natural colour that other cameras don't easily match.
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok, checked the specs of the 77mm limited on Tom's recommendation, and will now be trying a copy for use as a portrait lens.
    Quentin Bargate

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Reminds me of Salvador Dali; where is this place??
    Hi Tom, it is a hall, here in Amsterdam, full of used and new items from liquidations.
    The mix of things is always interesting.

Here's another one with the same lens.

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Tom, it is a hall, here in Amsterdam, full of used and new items from liquidations.
    The mix of things is always interesting.

Here's another one with the same lens.

What a place. Looks to be images from a dream: Santa Claus arriving with silver, faceless females; Buddha riding a wooden horse.....

BTW I love your series from French costal towns in the MF forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The K-1 arrived a few days ago. Just starting to get the hang of it. The first thing I noticed that it was not as big as reviewers were saying. Feels quite comfortable in the hand actually. I have lots of glass to try on it over the next few months.

Olympus Zuiko OM 90/2 macro
    [IMG]20160606-IMGP0135 by Richard M, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20160606-IMGP0134 by Richard M, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20160606-IMGP0124 by Richard M, on Flickr[/IMG]

Zeiss ZK 50/2 Makro-Planar
    [IMG]20160605-IMGP0059 by Richard M, on Flickr[/IMG]

The manual focus indicator is so spot on, that one hardly has to use LiveView

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Super pictures, Rich!
    thorkil

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wonderful Richard!
    Isn't it good the manual focus indicator.

Did you have those lenses Leitaxed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

77mm F/1.8 Limited has arrived. Sweet little lens. Will try it out on the K1 in a couple of days. If it's any good, as I hope, it will be used mainly for portaits
    Quentin Bargate
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wonderful Richard!
    Isn't it good the manual focus indicator.

Did you have those lenses Leitaxed?
    Thank you Michiel.....yes, I changed the lens mount on the Zuiko OM 90/2 with a Leitax conversion mount.
    The Zeiss ZK is a native PK mount.

I was strongly tempted to purchase the Voigtlander 40/2 SL, but am saving up for the Pentax 70-200mm zoom.

Regards....R

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A few more to post.....

SMC Pentax-DA* 300mm F4
    [IMG]20160
    606-IMGP0119
    by Richard M, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20160606-IMGP0114 by Richard M, on Flickr[/IMG]

Focus locked quickly......no issues with front or back focus.

SMC Pentax-DA* 200mm F2.8
    [IMG]20160605-IMGP0089 by Richard M, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20160605-IMGP0079 by Richard M, on Flickr[/IMG]

This lens had a little bit more difficulty in locking focus in low light, although I did not notice any vignetting at all (as this lens sits on the edge of being full frame or APS-C). Gotta love the colors though....plus a little bit of 3D.....maybe?
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bee happy

After the storm

Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looking forward to your thoughts on the 77mm Quentin, and the images too! Here's a review that might interest you:

http://erphotoreview.com/wordpress/?p=423

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looking forward to your thoughts on the 77mm Quentin, and the images too! Here's a review that might interest you:

http://erphotoreview.com/wordpress/?p=423
    Probably the perfect lens on the K1. Shot a few today, and it performed admirably.

Focus is a little imprecise, but it is perfectly aligned. Corners weak wide open; stop down to F2.8 and its all good. Some CA near max aperture.

Glad I purchased it. Very nice, "old-fashioned" lens - so small, full of good character.

I will try a few people shots this evening
    Quentin Bargate
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ijmuiden
    Pentax-A 28/8

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Off to Cornwall tomorrow
    Quentin Bargate

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

While waiting for a Pentax-A 24/2.8 here's one with a Tamron 24/2.5 (it has weak corners)

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Off to Cornwall tomorrow
    Don't forget your 15-30!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Off to Cornwall tomorrow
    ..one thing, Quentin...please do a selfie and post here, the 15-30 and you (and K-1 at the end)...
    thorkil