The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with images taken with the Pentax K1

Michiel Schierbeek

Any suggestions for an adapter that would allow me to use my Nikon mount Otus lens on the Pentax K-1? I just ordered a K-1 because I've been blown away by the image quality but I'm new to the Pentax system and could use some guidance.

Not sure of what native Pentax lenses meet the high quality of the Zeiss lenses but I'm looking forward to trying.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Derek
Leitax seems to be working on Pentax mounts for the Zeiss in nikon mount lenses, but I don't think/know if the Otus series will be part of it. You can contact him and ask.

Quentin_Bargate

A portrait lens is the main missing item, but Sigma should step up this autumn, although whether for the K mount is unclear.

Morning

This is definitely looking like an interesting camera, lenses bother me a little as I like to shoot fast primes given the chance, have any of you guys shot portraits with it yet? Quentin, would the 100 macro handle head shots ok? I really don't know anything about the Pentax lenses but this is tempting as a backup cam, even more so if high ISO is decent. The only think putting me off at the moment is the lack of a fast 85 or 135 for tighter portrait stuff.

Have a good weekend.

Mat

ddanois

Leitax seems to be working on Pentax mounts for the Zeiss in nikon mount lenses, but I don't think/know if the Otus series will be part of it. You can contact him and ask.
thanks for the feedback. I know that the Leitax approach requires physically changing the mount so does that mean that there is a flange distance problem that prohibits a simple adapter?

Quentin_Bargate

The white is not blown out colour, but natural variation in the rose.

The K1 gives the best colour of any digital camera I have used, including Hasselblad.

Last edited:

ddanois

The white is not blown out colour, but natural variation in the rose.

The K1 give the best colour of any digital camera I have used, including Hasselblad.
Great Pics Quentin! Now that you've been using the K1 for a bit, what's your suggestion regarding lenses?

Quentin_Bargate

Great Pics Quentin! Now that you've been using the K1 for a bit, what's your suggestion regarding lenses?
Its a head scratcher, because I know (or knew) nothing about Pentax lenses before the K1.

I strongly recommend the Pentax 100mm F/2.8 macro. It's screw drive focus, but that's a detail. Small, sharp very good lens. Works very well with the K1. Love it.

The Sigma 35mm F/1.4 is also very good.

Don't bother with the 24-70mm F/2.8. It is not up to the job.

Just purchased a Pentax 15-30mm F/2.8. Jury is out on that one. It a lot better than the 24-70mm, but that doesn't say much. Will revert later on that,

Tried the old classic, the FA* 85mm F1.4, but it's an old lens that has passed its prime now (please forgive the pun). Pretty good, but dodgy focus and too much longitudinal CA.

Pentax have spent so long on APS-C that they dropped the ball on new full frame lenses. They badly need to catch up.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
thanks for the feedback. I know that the Leitax approach requires physically changing the mount so does that mean that there is a flange distance problem that prohibits a simple adapter?
The Pentax flange distance is only 1 mm shorter (45.46 vs. 46.5 mm on Nikon), so an adapter is not realistic.

Quentin_Bargate

Warning: don't rely on autofocus with the 15-30mm Pentax, it's wildly inaccurate. That seems to have been my problem with the lens. It focusses too close by some way. Who knew?!

Michiel Schierbeek

Warning: don't rely on autofocus with the 15-30mm Pentax, it's wildly inaccurate. That seems to have been my problem with the lens. It focusses too close by some way. Who knew?!
That is bad news Quentin! I am seriously thinking about this lens. Can't you correct it? I could not find the tool for it; whatever the name was..

Quentin_Bargate

That is bad news Quentin! I am seriously thinking about this lens. Can't you correct it? I could not find the tool for it; whatever the name was..

Michiel,

I have been working to fix the issue today and I think I have.

The lens has very little throw. Between 1 meter and infinity it's just a short turn of the focussing ring

The problem is that the phase detection autofocus with the lens focuses far too close, in front of the subject, if not adjusted. The problem is not there with contrast detection, of if you focus manually using live view.

I have dialled in -7 in the fine adjustment and that seems to fix the problem (for my copy of the lens), but better still, use contrast focus with live view.

Good lens if you do!

Good job I spent some time fixing the issue, as I have purchased the Lee Filter 150 system and Lee Tamron sized filter holder (same as the Pentax, unsurprisingly). Thought I'd wasted my money

tsjanik

A portrait lens is the main missing item, but Sigma should step up this autumn, although whether for the K mount is unclear.
Lovely images you are posting Quentin.
I wonder why you appear to dismiss the 77mm for portraits. I've never owned one, but given its reputation, I would assume it to be a logical choice.

Tom

Quentin_Bargate

Lovely images you are posting Quentin.
I wonder why you appear to dismiss the 77mm for portraits. I've never owned one, but given its reputation, I would assume it to be a logical choice.

Tom
Tom,

My knowledge of Pentax lenses is somewhat limited. I will have a look at the 77mm, might be a good choice :thumbup:

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel,

I have been working to fix the issue today and I think I have.

The lens has very little throw. Between 1 meter and infinity it's just a short turn of the focussing ring

The problem is that the phase detection autofocus with the lens focuses far too close, in front of the subject, if not adjusted. The problem is not there with contrast detection, of if you focus manually using live view.

I have dialled in -7 in the fine adjustment and that seems to fix the problem (for my copy of the lens), but better still, use contrast focus with live view.

Good lens if you do!

Good job I spent some time fixing the issue, as I have purchased the Lee Filter 150 system and Lee Tamron sized filter holder (same as the Pentax, unsurprisingly). Thought I'd wasted my money
Yes that's what I mean Fine adjustment, I looked for it for a moment but could not find it. I am glad the possibility is there.
And as Tjanik says, a portrait lens is not the problem with the FA limited 77. I have seen wonderful work with it.
And the 31 is a great lens as well. Together with the 43 limited they call it the holy trinity.
Problem is they don't come cheap. I have to wait a little, need to sell some other lenses first to fund new ones. Don't want to spend more money on photo stuff for a while.
Looking forward to your first (city) outing with the 15-30!

I have been playing with the Voigtländer Ultron 40 aspherical 40/2 SL. I think I like it. It is a A lens and it is really small. Nice walk around lens.
I must say; the focus beeb works faster as focus peaking, but I knew that already from 645Z.
Once again, they are discontinued. Cameraquest seems to be the only place who has a few new ones left.