The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with images taken with the Pentax K1

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel:

Now that you've used the K-1 for a short time, do you have any comments comparing files to those from the 645Z?

Tom
Hi Tom,

I am sorry but my reaction has to wait a little. I just wrote a long piece answering you question but this bloody annoying thing happened to me again.
Once you're ready and post, Getdpi logs you off and everything is gone. Just forgot to copy it before posting.
I have got to do other things now.

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel:

Now that you've used the K-1 for a short time, do you have any comments comparing files to those from the 645Z?

Tom
Made in a text editor first. Well it is not that long :D

Hi Tom

I must say I am not a very good pixelpeeper, But what I can say to start with is that the files from the K-1 are much better and more editable then those from my Sony A7r with the same sensor.
But my mind is quiet simple and to me 51 million (bigger) pixels are a lot more then 36 million pixels, sothe Pentax Z should be better, although when pixelshift is used, the punch in the files is really great and look as good as the Z. (Could it be done for the Z as well with a firmware upgrade?)
The proof of the pudding would be to examine a big print which I did not do yet.

I am really happy with this camera! Like the Z it is very well made and very sturdy, but not to big for a dslr. It is a bit fat, so to speak. A real good streetcam as well and a joy to use with legacy Pentax or M42 lenses because of the focus assist beep, but you know that from the Z already.
Every mirrorless cam should have this feature, it is faster and more relyable then focus peaking.
And for slow photography the huge magification with live view works like a charm.

For me it is a great addition to the Z,for if you want to travel lighter. Also having the two different sensor sizes with the same type of Sony sensor treatment is a big plus.
Pentax was a late surprise for me. A real great traditional camera maker.

Last edited:

tsjanik

Thanks Michiel:

As much as I like the 645Z, I am increasingly aware of its weight (especially with the 28-45mm), the lack of an ultra wide lens and the conspicuousness of the camera. I would like a smaller system where I don't feel I'm foregoing quality. I tried a DP2, but its quirks and limitations were too much for me. I have a shelf of old SMC Pentax lenses from my LX days waiting for a full frame body, so I am hoping the K-1 with pixel shift, will compete with the Z. Please let me know any further observations.

Best,

Tom.

Michiel Schierbeek

Thanks Michiel:

As much as I like the 645Z, I am increasingly aware of its weight (especially with the 28-45mm), the lack of an ultra wide lens and the conspicuousness of the camera. I would like a smaller system where I don't feel I'm foregoing quality. I tried a DP2, but its quirks and limitations were too much for me. I have a shelf of old SMC Pentax lenses from my LX days waiting for a full frame body, so I am hoping the K-1 with pixel shift, will compete with the Z. Please let me know any further observations.

Best,

Tom.
The problem is wide primes at the moment and with 15-30 you have another huge zoom in the bag. I prefer primes. It is also to expensive.
I dropped the IRIX people a mail to ask when their 15/2.4 is coming. I have high hopes for that lens.
The answer was that they aim for this summer. (It was spring before.)

tsjanik

The problem is wide primes at the moment and with 15-30 you have another huge zoom in the bag. I prefer primes. It is also to expensive.
I dropped the IRIX people a mail to ask when their 15/2.4 is coming. I have high hopes for that lens.
The answer was that they aim for this summer. (It was spring before.)
Agree, I don't want another huge lens. I still have a 20mm M lens, which has been getting good reviews and is almost a pancake lens. Isn't there a 14mm lens that got good reviews on the Sony (Samyang?).

Michiel Schierbeek

Agree, I don't want another huge lens. I still have a 20mm M lens, which has been getting good reviews and is almost a pancake lens. Isn't there a 14mm lens that got good reviews on the Sony (Samyang?).
I am jealous. Those M 20mm are very hard to find! The Samyangs are good, I have one for Sony E, only the ligt stars at night are ugly.

Rich M

I am jealous. Those M 20mm are very hard to find! The Samyangs are good, I have one for Sony E, only the ligt stars at night are ugly.
I'll try to post some shots with the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 20mm f/3.5 SL for Pentax.......it is a chipped pancake lens (auto-aperture in camera).......extremely small and light.

I am finding it razor sharp in the center with the corners sharpening up @f/5.6. It close focuses to @ 15cm or so.

They're still out in the wild......just have to look.